Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ported heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ported heads

does any of the big name companies sell a bolt on ported head with o-rings already cut etc?

im thinking im gonna drop alot of coin already to have my current head machine and modded...for roughyl the same cost can you get a head already machine, and mildly ported etc, then send my core in for exchange???

if anyone does sell them, how much do they run? i dont have the knowledge to port my own head, but for nearly the same price of having my head re-done ill go with a better version thats ready to install
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 PM

Call Piers...he's got 'em. No idea what they want for a 24v head, but the 12v head wasn't cheap.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

well im already looking at over $1000 for machine work not including the studs, and head gasket.

i figure if an aftermarket ported head can be had for under $1500 its worth it
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 PM

Double that and you'll be closer.....but not quite there.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

they are outside their minds
Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Ahhh, there is a lot of time and precision that goes into headwork. Most of the big guys have heads ready to go out the door, but they will charge you the whole ball of wax until they get your core in and confirm it is a viable one to replace the one they sent out the door. If they can't use it you get to tow the line on the $$$!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 PM

Just going to throw this out there....why would you port and polish a head when you are pressurizing the intake manifold with boost, all it will do is lower the boost pressure. and yes i know that boost is a measurement of restriction BUT if the intake manifold is pressurized then IMO your not gaining anything besides less restriction. and that may sound a bit stupid but unless your shooting for the 800+ mark then you really dont need it...and if you are shooting for that much hp then you need fire rings and not o-rings.

this is just my take on porting a forced induction engine, plz dont slaughter me over this one

jake
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM

The easier you can get air into, and out of, an engine the better (more efficient) it will run. You will make more power, lower egt's, quicker spool-up, etc..
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

You don't port the head on a diesel for power. You port it for cooler EGT's, faster spool up, slightly more power, and a broader RPM range of power. Same goes for a cam. Not a lot of power gain but a broader, flatter curve and lower egt's.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You don't port the head on a diesel for power.
Originally Posted by BigBlue
You port it for .... more power
... is big blue drinking tonight.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 AM

I'm with the other guys, I think porting/polishing the head makes sense, even on a turbo'ed engine. Air in, air out. I am going to have my head done when I go nuts with my truck, don't know with who though
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 AM

on a 24v head that already flow good your wasting your money. first off the casting isn't very good to begin with and theres not alot of material to be removed. also all they can do is clean up the exhaust side without having to completely cutoff the intake runner. but thats jmho
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i figure if an aftermarket ported head can be had for under $1500 its worth it
You could probably get a stock head with o-rings and all the machine work done, new guides and whatever, without turning a core in for $1500.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

well right now, using my head, getting a valve job (guides, seats etc), deck the surface, o-rings, gasket, and studs im looking at right around $1700 and being as ill never be running over 700-800hp (if this is done right) then ill never have to touch the head again.

the machine shop told me to bring the HG i'll be using so they know where to cut the o-rings. do i just get a stock replacement HG or do i need to get one that is .010", .020" over etc?? i need to get the HG before next week so i can take it to the machine shop. and is it easier to get it direct from cummins, or should i get it from the dodge dealer
Old 08-04-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd recommend a thicker HG. Since you're going for performance, any time you can drop the compression a little bit, do it. I'd go with the .020 over Marine or RV gasket. .020 shouldn't mess up the injector spray relative to the piston bowl much at all.

Porting a head for performance is almost always a good idea. But whether or not it makes $$ sense is entirely different. The sotck uncut will flow pretty well if you give it a cam with some stouter specs.

I have no proof, but I honestly believe that the CAM, not the HEAD is the biggest restriction to flow on the 24V engine. Only AFTER you have a healthy cam in there would I consider a ported head to be worth the $$.

There are a lot of machine shops out there marketing a service (to make money) that might not even be necessary for the vast majority of guys who get it done. Lots of shops are installing larger valves, which is pure BS on a 24V. The diameter of the valves isn't the flow restriction-- it's the LIFT and the head ports. With better lift, the stock valve diameter flows a LOT more, even with the stock ports.

My advice: if going with Helix 2 or smaller cam, skip the head porting. If going with H3 or bigger cam (if it exists-- Budda, Scheid maybe?), then go for the porting.

jh

Quick Reply: ported heads