Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Performance Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Performance Upgrades?

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here and I'm back with questions!

First off, I've been searching around and I'm not able to find the answers I'm truly looking for so don't jump on me for not doing my research.

I'm wanting to get a little extra HP on my 01 and I'm confused on how to do this in a clean-cut manner. I would like to be in the 450-500hp area when all turned up. I know what I'll need to upgrade at least the turbo, injectors and possibly change my tune. Not super sure on other upgrades such as intake horn, air intake system (mine is currently a BHAF sitting up where the old intake used to be), etc...

So, with the mods that I have listed below, what should I do?

I was thinking 75-100hp injectors, HX40 (I have the factory HY35 right now) and also adding the Hot Unlock to my Edge JWA CTS.

Are the little things worth the money such as the intake horn and intake system?

How big of injectors should I go? I'm looking for a "clean" power, so I don't want to look like a freight train when I get on it if all possible.

What about the turbo? I know I won't have the money to buy a new upgraded turbo so I'll at least have to stay with used if I want to go big and bad like a PhatShaft or Super B.

For sake of simplicity, let's all disregard the fact that the mods will completely destroy my fully stock transmission I'll be dealing with that before I do the mods.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and input!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had good luck w/my Mach 1.6 injectors. The 2.0 would prob work better if you're also upgrading the turbo. I could prob run 2.0 w/my hx35 and still be ok on egt but im not interested in that $ upgrade at this time. Think: more fuel, more air, more exhaust....all must flow well to = more power.
IMO and when I researched, I don't believe the intake horn replacement provided much gain or replacing the factory intake tube.....bhaf, yes.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Agreed but your HP numbers you are looking for are reasonably high. You really want that much HP you may think about twins to keep it clean. Or just turn your off-boost fueling down on the Edge for cleaner setup. Stick with the Mach injectors if you want clean.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With a Edge comp 100hp injectors and a BD turbo I make 440hp and I just dynoed 2 weeks ago
Old 09-05-2014, 03:34 PM

From a website with great products and knowledge

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c...orsepower.aspx
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 AM

if you are going to be doing a full enchilada Transmission $$$$. do you know exactly what you will be doing with tranny? how strong of a converter and valve body, stall speed etc. do you tow with your truck ever? just for daily driving? mainly driving on freeway (speeds) for 50mph and under mostly? this things you need to discuss with the tranny builder. this will be good with the mods you are going to use to support your tranny.
I think there are many options for a supportive single turbo able to keep up with a built tranny and get you around the 400-450 HP range. just some may get hot quicker due to what you put in the tranny. some will spool easier with help of the tranny too.

Higher stall will and can result in more turbo lag. lower stall will and can reduce turbo lag.

here is an article i just browsed in our search feature and pulled this one. good simple answer. plus i dont have to type the answer.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r+stall+speeds

Formula 1 injectors. DPP injectors, Dap injectors, Dynamite injectors, Flux , honed, sac injectors etc.
I will just say I'm happy with what I have. (F-1 MACH 4'S) but i have not ever used anything else. that debate on injectors well I'm not going there. its the same as the great oil or filter debate.

if you havent gotten my wirl of wisdom to you here , just dont get baffled by the BS out there.
do alot of homework do research, call shops that you see in magazines and ask them. grill them . If you are honest and know what you would like from the truck and make phone calls you will easily see what shops are out for your money and will just be BS of talk.

I have learned the long hard way. I have put tons of money into my truck. I have broke alot and learned that way. I feel confident with 89% of my truck. I'm waiting for the leftover 11% to break and then i can replace that too.

I'm happy with my smarty with really gives me great snap down low. My with all I have in my truck I'm actually really clean with power. I have had to get used to driving it a certain way to make it more Daily driver friendly. but I can black out a intersection so easy. I dont and dont like that.
when I drive and have flip flops on I usually end up doing that a couple times till my feet , brain and peddles understand each other.

Air horn/intake. I have one its a complete 3" mandrel bend with bungs in it. complete 100% steel and had powder coated. I got it for 120$ long time ago. I bought it cause it was cheap and allowed more air in. who knows if it gives more HP. does it have the potential to yes. does it ?? it also came with bungs so i can add DRUGS to my truck if i ever decided to spray something.

studs/longevity even if you dont think your pushing it with boost. get studs sometime if you can. Fuel get a FASS/airdog or whatever. I currently since 2005 have had a fass/150 on it. zero problems. I have had to change the vp-44 once when i first bought the truck in 2005. I have now almost 100k miles on this VP. with 19-20 PSI at idle. no less than 16psi full wot.

I like my TST powermax 3 stacked with my smarty.
www.tstproducts.com

PM me if I can help or if you got questions. Hell I have them all the time. this is a great site. 2nd gens are not dead. there are plenty of us still around.