Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Performance after injector installation (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/performance-after-injector-installation-19818/)

11-06-2002 10:30 PM

Performance after injector installation

First, thanks to everyone who's been responding to my questions about installing injectors on an '02 ETH. I've got a couple more questions, now that I've actually installed the injectors and driven the truck. :)

Installation was sweet! #6 cylinder was a bear, but I modified a couple of tools, and didn't have to remove the lift ring or the air horn. Just had to loosen the fuel line nuts to get the connector tubes out, and did everything over the head after I removed the cover. I've got a BHAF, 4" exhaust, Edge Comp without the pump wire connected, and the injectors are the Bosch RV 275. Truck drives great.

The sound of the turbo is different. It's louder, more intense. Also, my boost seems to have gone up. It seems like there's more boost at different levels of acceleration. At WOT, I'm pegging the 35 psi Autometer gauge. Also, there seems to be a lot more kick in 4th and 5th gear, more but not as much in 3rd or 6th. Would the injectors affect all of these things, in this way? I didn't expect more boost, and I thought the power curve would be affected more uniformly.

Can a stock HX35 turbo take 30-35 psi boost?

I'm not complaining, it's great. Just want to be sure. RV 275s are supposed to be a mild injector. Wow. Dunno how you guys can go with BD 5s or supermentals or DD3's, it would scare the s*** out of me, I think. Guess I'm too careful or too new at the game.

Ascraeus

BigBlackDodge 11-07-2002 06:21 AM

Re:Performance after injector installation

30-35 psi of boost will be no problem.<br><br>Those who dont have at least 275 injectors with a fueling box are missing a real seat of the pants rush. Good upgrade for the price.<br><br>

Shovelhead 11-07-2002 06:26 AM

If you think your tranny can take it ........Hook up the pump wire. ;D ;D :o :o :o :o

Push Rod 11-07-2002 08:00 AM

[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=7;threadid=6716;start=0#63263 date=1036643418]<br>Also, my boost seems to have gone up. It seems like there's more boost at different levels of acceleration. At WOT, I'm pegging the 35 psi Autometer gauge. Also, there seems to be a lot more kick in 4th and 5th gear, more but not as much in 3rd or 6th. Would the injectors affect all of these things, in this way? I didn't expect more boost, and I thought the power curve would be affected more uniformly. <br><br>Can a stock HX35 turbo take 30-35 psi boost? <br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm a little surprised that you're getting 35 PSI in just EZ mode, but its not going to hurt your 35. I know a quite a few guys that take their stock 35s to 42/44 PSI and they seem to handle it. I think I'd want to stop at 40 PSI, though.<br><br>As for the differences you're feeling, its probably the gears. For example, in 3rd gear, your boost probably isn't getting up as you're running out of gear and up against the governor. 4th and 5th, you're pulling the gears hard, and it feels a big sluggish in 6th (in comparison to 4 and 5) because you're geared up higher.<br><br>Rod

BigBlue 11-07-2002 10:52 AM

I could see why you are getting more boost. You are getting more fuel. More fuel, more air, more boost needed. Or somethign like that. I know with the comp off, I get 20 psi, on, 28psi. I've pushed my HY35 to 35 psi in EZ mode all the time. Hit 40 for a sec. Seems fine to me. Our engines love having a load put on em. You may not have enough of a load on the engine in 3rd gear to really feel it.

11-07-2002 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers. 275s work good with the Comp on EZ, had the truck up over a few hills today. Lots of grunt, but it doesn't feel like I'm stressing things. For now, that's OK. Someday, the pump wire, a new turbo, new injectors, who knows? Want to go a million miles, though. To me, that's the important thing. Maybe different when I don't have to make the payments anymore. :)<br><br>Ascraeus