Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My latest project

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My latest project

Finally started on my truck again. For those who dont know I lost a headgasket last october at the sand dunes. Anyways I was able to drive the truck around until January when the flex plate let go. So I decied to pull the engine instead of just the tranny and doing the head in the truck.
Pulling the engine was relatively simple. Hearing of clearance issues I gave my truck a body lift instead of other methods mentioned by members. It was the right way to go, it literally took me 10 minutes to jack the body 4". I just used wood as my new "lift" spacers. Worked great, I had way more room and made for a much simpler engine removal. The biggest pain was just getting to the converter bolts with my primary turbo somewhat in the way.
So I got the engine out, now something to put it on and we all know how much cummins weight! My girlfriend had bought me a 2k engine stand from Harbor Freight and it actually held up Think did sag pretty good but worked fine the whole time. So now I start to tear apart the engine. Pretty much the only things that were bad (besides the headgasket) were 3 valve seals, which I account for me not replacing them last time I had the head resurfaced.
I also found my oil leak that was making a mess and driving me crazy all the time. It was my injection pump! It was leaking on the engine side right next too the pushrod cover. Looked like it had been leaking for a long time. I would have to say that cleaning the dang block was one of the biggest PITA ever. I spent hours prepping it for paint and cleaning the old gaskets off of everything.
Now for the mods! Well I definatly needed to get my head oringed so that was a priority. Ken at Turbo Auto Diesel did a great job at that. Once the head was done I proceeded to port it some more (I had done some work last time the head off). I unshrouded the valves and did some more polishing. Then on to the valve seats. They looked pretty good for 180k, no bad leaks or anything. So I lapped the valves and assembled the head with some 60lb springs. So after prepping the block the head went on with a .20 gasket and my arp studs.
When I pulled my turbos and manifolds they were pretty rusty (external surface rust) from running through water and mud (I am going to stay away from this stuff now ) So I my buddy at HPC coat everything which turned out awesome and I got a killer deal on it. I also installed a 50mm external wg on the manifold and plumbed it into the hotpipe which didnt fit on the engine and I didnt find out untill I got it back from getting coated
I figured while I had engine out I might as well put a billet input shaft in. Was a pretty simple job. Just need to pull the pump and drop the valve body. I had some pretty large shaving in my pan though (not many) but I am accounting those for when I lost my ouput shaft last year. I also added a suncoast flex plate.
I also clean the engine bay and prepped it for some paint. Turned out pretty good and looks a lot better than stained white. I am still currently working on the truck but I am really waiting for my injection pump from Turbo Auto Diesel. I should have it soon. They gutted my 160 and replaced eveythng with 913 internals and I should have some flow numbers later this week. I hope to be driving my truck by the end of the week but its hard to work on it when its 114 degress out

Here are some pics,

Josh

Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM

that makes me want to tear min down and paint it and do all thoes mods man good work i must say
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Looking good, gonna be a sweet engine when you get done.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks, it was a lot of work and a lot of cleaning. Something I wont have to do for a long time.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I like the orange workbench with the black vinyl top...post pics next time you clean it off.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Clunk
I like the orange workbench with the black vinyl top...post pics next time you clean it off.
I call it my dodge challenger shelf Theres a pic in my gallery.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Most cool piece