Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mad ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm...big negative on being easier than hooking up an EZ. I can do that in 2 min , that including zip-ties, this took me over an hour to do.

RJ - I see you have a FASS. I assume the original with filters. Then YES it's a snap because you do away with stock filter and that mess. I was thinking that as I was doing it how much easier this would be with an original FASS.

Don't get me wrong, for me it's just time consuming due to a lot of jockeying, not hard. Very straight forward.

Results are well worth the shredded right forearm.

BTW- Mine took a 5/32 allen on the connecter plug instead of a 4mm. Not sure why that was.....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ben

Valid point !
But how long did the EZ take you the first time?
Mine took over an hour! 20 min to FIND the Data Port...and another 20 min to figure there was a cover on it...that the directions failed to mention. I can swear, on a bible, that you can not get the EZ Data Port Plug to plug into the cover on the data port!!!

But I bet you could do the ECM next time in 30 min...if you loosen the fuel filter canister and move it out of the way? Have not done this myself but...that's what I heard works well.

RJ
Old 07-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Ben

Yeah RJ,

Fuel filter cannister was unbolted and out of the way. Lift pump will be gone as of Friday, that will also help.

When I ordered my EZ, Rod had told me about the test port cover. The total time took about 15 min. I can totally realte with the frustration. Sometimes, if possible, bringing a buddy in to help works real well. A whole new set of eyes and hands. Kinda like replacing the front driver's side shock.

You are correct tho. Next time, now that I know what to expect, it will be smotther and quicker.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
here are the dyno charts showing stock ecm vs. catcher with mach 2.5's and dodgezilla turbo

and here are mach 4's and catcher with dodgezilla turbo

I hope this helps
Old 07-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

Mine was easy to install after getting filter assy. out of way, and unhooking(and plugging) rubber supply line to VP44. Then it's WIDE OPEN to access screw(4mm) and bolts. Put di-electric grease on connector and slam it back on. Took 35-40 mins. total. Still can't get used to that instant response with Catcher , waiting patiently for Don M's Mach1.6's to arrive . You couldn't pay me enough to give up MAD ECM now that I've tried it, it's just that much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by TORQUE
waiting patiently for Don M's Mach1.6's to arrive . You couldn't pay me enough to give up MAD ECM now that I've tried it, it's just that much more enjoyable to drive.
Let me know how that combo works with dyno numbers! I'm looking at the same combo. MAD/Mach 1.6's
Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Banned

We're having Dyno days here mid Aug., but we're on holidays again starting fri. for 2 weeks, so I don't know if I'll be able to slam them in and have tranny updated also by then . But I sure as heck will try, and will post findings on combo asap.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 AM

I was hoping too make it too dyno days, but i am gonna miss them as well...its a shame really, I wanted too see the NADP dually snap 650hp.....but i guess he snapped his billet output shaft at a race in the states somewhere.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 AM

Hey Bob, don't you got a web site somewhere??
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

It is www.wagnerandassociates.biz, phone # 1-888-225-7637. This is where I purchased mine at.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM

I have asked this before, what does it do to mileage compared to an EZ?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM

I had reported at one time that I picked up .4 -.5 mpg (1,000 mile test). And I did. Checking my records, I realize I made two changes w/i a week of each other. I added a MAD ECM and Mach 4 Injectors. One of them gave me a nice bump...just not sure which...or both?

I am no longer using the MAD ECM...but we have been so hot that the A/c is distorting my mileage reading...so far.

RJ
Old 07-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by rjohnson

I am no longer using the MAD ECM...but we have been so hot that the A/c is distorting my mileage reading...so far.

RJ

Can I ask why not?

As you are the first person I have heard of not to post mostly with this about it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

After installing MAD ECM about 2 weeks ago, I still haven't fueled up yet(want to get average over wider mileage range). I will be filling up tomorrow,and hand calculate mileage so far with CATCHER installed, and will post findings. So far it looks like mileage is better than before , that's amazing considering the way I'm always into the go pedal.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by sammy198
Can I ask why not?
Sammy, The MAD ECM does all people say it does. It is an EXCELLENT bomb for any size injectors...or in addition to a chip (box) and small or medium injectors.

There is a point beyond which you start adding too much fuel, too early in the combustion cycle...equal to/or caused by too much timing. On my set up...I found it with the MAD ECM, PM3 and Mach 4's. Still worked well, if I rolled into the power smoothly...but WOT from a dead stop (at the drag strip) almost flooded the engine....causing rough running and slow motion spoolup.

This has happened to a few others who like to drag. It's no criticism of the MAD ECM....just a compromise I had to make to play the way I like to play.

I would buy a MAD ECM before I bgt an EZ, and I would buy a MAD ECM before I tapped the injector wire. They are great... at say...under 500 HP+/-.

RJ

Quick Reply: Mad ECM