Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which Injection Pump ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Injection Pump ??

My VP44 died Friday night. I removed the old pump and am going to order a new one Monday morning. I am looking for advice on which way to go on this. I do a little towing, not much and rarely over 6k. I drive the truck for work and it's not unusual to put 100+ plus miles on it in a day.

I was thinking on going with the SHO from either Smith Diesel or Bluechip. They both claim 80 HP over stock. I like the option Bluechip offers to run my Edge with the wire tapped and not having to "knick" the wire thus leaving the warranty intact.

Does anyone have any dealings with either shop? how is their customer service? can you FEEL the difference going with the SHO pump. Is their a better option im missing?

Any advice/help would be great as I would like to pull the trigger Monday, Thanks, Kevin.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin B
I was thinking on going with the SHO from either Smith Diesel or Bluechip. They both claim 80 HP over stock. I like the option Bluechip offers to run my Edge with the wire tapped and not having to "knick" the wire thus leaving the warranty intact.

Thanks, Kevin.

The SHO VP is from Industrial Injection! and is a Hot Rod pump! usually see around 80 hp increase. The Blue Chip pump is good also but it is NOT a Hot Rod pump! it's just a stock rebuild. They do claim to replace the housing.
Both II and BC have all new parts in the rebuilds. II rebuilds there own pumps on site, I'm not sure but does BC rebuild on site? or just sell them?
Both pumps have a 1 year warranty and neither cover the electronics if you pierce the wire.
From BC website, this is why I don't think they rebuild pumps!

There are three things that WILL VOID every rebuilt Bosch VP44, regardless of where you buy it. This is Bosch Policy. One is contaminated fuel, which is becoming all too prevalent as we switch to ultra low sulphur fuel. We see lots of rust, oxidation and just plain slime in many pumps we disassemble. The second is if you break the diaphram in the front of the injection pump which can ONLY be due to low fuel pressure and thirdly if you make a "nick" in the solenoid wire by hooking up a fueling style performance box. We offer a replacement plastic "Pump Cover" to make that electrical connection, which to date has fooled Bosch as they haven’t denied any warranty claims because of the cover installation.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 AM

I don't know but for what one of those modified pumps cost you could probably buy a OEM pump for cheap and then buy a set of F1 injectors with the left over money. Probably have a smoother idle and get better fuel milage.Cause alot of the people out there are make more power on a OEM pump and big sticks.Just my oo cents
Old 02-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dzlfarmboy, is the "rough" idle pretty noticable? How hard is it to replace injectors? After dealing with the #6 injctor line I can't imagine changing out the stick being a fun expierence .

Rick, am I missing something as far as a "hot rod" pump? If I had to choose I would take reliablity over power. Do hot rod pumps tend to fail more quickly? I thought the BC pump promissed more power .

BTW this is exactly the kind of help im looking for so keep it comming
Old 02-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Save yourself some $$$ and put an SO pump on it. Youl end up with a little less bottom end but the top end is the same as HRVP. Call Rip he will set you in the right direction.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dzlfarmboy, is the "rough" idle pretty noticable? How hard is it to replace injectors? After dealing with the #6 injctor line I can't imagine changing out the stick being a fun expierence .

Rick, am I missing something as far as a "hot rod" pump? If I had to choose I would take reliablity over power. Do hot rod pumps tend to fail more quickly? I thought the BC pump promissed more power .

BTW this is exactly the kind of help im looking for so keep it comming
When I was shopping for a pump in 05, I thought that the BC pump would be a good option. Like was stated, they won't cover the electronics if they know there was a wire tapping box on it (and it sounds like they know to look under the cover now), both II and BC use the same electronics, new parts. But II has a power increase on for the same price. And thats the way I went. If you want to spend $1600+ on a pump, get the HRVP instead of the BC. But if you plan on tapping the wire anyway, save your money and get a regular rebuilt unit. It shouldn't have the poor idle that the HRVP's have.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Like Tate and a bunch of other guys here will say, go with a SO pump. The HRVP is overpriced and the idle will drive you crazy!!! . You will lose a little bottom end but it is equal to about $700.00!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Pardon my ignorance but does SO pump= Standard Output??

If I tap the wire anyway, will the HP. end up being the same, cus a crappy idle would bring the suck.

Anyone on how hard it is to R&R injectors??
Old 02-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Injectors are easy if your swapin out your pump you can deffenitly do injectors. There's some step by step instructions on here and on dieseldynamics web site that make it a breeze and if you get some Don F1's you"ll gain milage and have smooth power
Old 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Pardon my ignorance but does SO pump= Standard Output??

If I tap the wire anyway, will the HP. end up being the same, cus a crappy idle would bring the suck.

Anyone on how hard it is to R&R injectors??

The II SHOVP does not idle rough!!! I don't know about any other HRVP's but I heard the Sheids has a lope at idle because it puts out a little more hp than II.
The II SHO and BCVP would be the longest lasting pumps since they claim all new parts included in the rebuilds. Stock rebuilds cost $1000-$1200. BC and II SHO cost 1600-1800. The cost differance is the new housing cost $500.

An SO pump on a stock engine will have less power than a HO pump!
An SO pump has slightly larger delivery valves and can give more fuel to higher hp engines. I heard 500 hp and over.
The SHO pump has SO delivery valves and HO pressure. You get around 80hp on a stock engine. I have a Comp and 80hp injectors and the SHOVP gives the same feel as the Comp on level 3-4. Yes with mods the SHO still gives a big hp boost! For the cost differance between a BCVP and the SHOVP, where else can you get 80hp for under $200?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rick, I have to disagree. There have been many complaints on all boards about the II HRVP having a lope at idel. Some get it some dont. IMO stick with the SO pump. You can pickup one up for around 1000 and it will have the same warranty as every where else.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:49 PM

you can just take the extra money that the HRVP cost and get your extra 80hp from some nice injectors and be able to reinstall your stock ones if you ever sold the truck, it's probably hard to get another stock pump to switch out
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 PM

Not trying to get to far off subject but i had to replace my VP 44 in December and i will be putting on a Edge Juice w/Attitude moniter in the spring. I read on here that some people have bought a cover for the pump that conceals the tapped wire. Am i reading this right or is it just like snake oil? If so does work anyone know where to get one and how much? Please enlighten me. Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
The II SHOVP does not idle rough!!!

You should come listen to mine.

newconcorddodge, check out Blue Chip's Stealth Cover. Thats what you're looking for. Be warned, it is possible for rebuilders to see if you used one of those covers, and can deny warranty because of it.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I had a VP44 cover that I bought from BD Diesel and it was so slick!!!

Quick Reply: Which Injection Pump ??