Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much performance is to much?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
.....Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you young flat bellies that can afford CTD's with thousands of dollars of bombs.... but when you make young (read stupid) mistakes... and than ask questions that have obvious answers... you have to expect some wise-crack feedback!

My apologies to Big Blue, Chris Mayer, and many other young bucks on this site, who are smart enough to understand this concept!.....
Since my name was mentioned, I guess I'll reply Thanks for the kind words RJ. I am lucky enough to have already made my mistakes, and also to have been able to walk away and learn from them. And I'm sure there are many more out there like me!

I haven't got the new truck running good yet, but the old one wasn't bad At times, in the rain or snow, even my 8600lb 2wd truck would kick the rear sideways at every shift. You eaither learn to drive around it, or de-tune! I took the first option. I knew not to play with ricers if it would get unsafe...but chances are, I always had more traction than them!

The new truck will be raced at the track...at least most of the time I'll also have winter injectors, and summer injectors, and maybe more seasonal parts depending on how it drives. The last thing I want to do is wreck my truck trying to show off to a Honda. A Ford, maybe, but a Honda, it's not even worth it

Sorry,
Chris
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Banned

I would like to know also? My best is an 8.31/82 mph.

RJ

i dunno about it either but my 1/4 mile times are in the high 15's @98mph
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Well this is why sometimes saying stuff in writing comes out totally wrong from how you really meant it to sound!!!!

I read this and never once thought you were a dummy and didn't know how to drive........sometimes the power just comes on strong when you don't expect it.....most of the time you can control it and prevent it from happening but there are a few cases where it just sneaks up and suprises the crap out of you!!! My GTO is that way.......usually fairly easy to drive but every now and then she'll get a wild hair up her butt to throw down more power than I want and get a little squirley on me...........and YES I know how to drive!!

So I'll side with you man........stuff happens and having that much power can suprise you from time to time!!!

~Nick
Old 08-01-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
yea, its awesome that your truck can do that dude, but i agree that too much power is bad in a DD. but thankfully 24v can easily have the boxes turned down to a safe daily HP.

brag all you want tho man, you built the truck, you put your money and time in it, you got it to this point, have fun with it, just do it at the track, and not on the street. you have to remember that 99% of the guys on this board were born as old men and they never had fun, played around, or made an un-wise decision as a young fellow because they are perfect on the internet.
^^^what he said!
Storx you got a bad Edit rig it sounds, dont let anyone tell you different Try to harness that power man! Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down
Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
RJF

Originally Posted by storx
so i stomped on it and the truck fish tailed making the trailer hop across the intersection almost taking out the honda if he didnt slam on his brakes.
Don't stomp on the flippin' pedal so hard next time....DUH.....

How much is too much? If a guy doesn't have any sense and self control then a 1989 Dodge Cummins with a 160HP pump and slow 5spd is too much.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Turn the comp down a couple notches so it behaves like it did before the new tranny. Now you know you've good a wicked kill setting, just pop it into 4WD first.

When a hot rod scares the crap out of you, that's when you've reached the limit.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

All I can say is that I've been very fortunate and lucky that I haven' experienced any stupid mistakes in my truck from the power it has. Now in the vette, well, we won't go there.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm, so far the problems I have are handling related. Truck doesnt drive like a sportscar of course, but when I hit bumps and stuff at speed the truck gets pretty squirrely. Scared the pants off me once when I had the shocks set too soft and it wallowed around in low-rebound land.
Ill probably stop just before I get to the point where the tires will break loose. These trucks have some odd handling.. sometimes youre doin a straight line panic stop and they go sideways on you, sometimes not... If it was a motorcycle Id say there was something funny in the geometry that made it unstable.
Yeah Id turn the box down to like it was before and look into ways to get more traction on the rear wheels. Weight, larger tires, LSD if you have a pegleg setup.. whatever.
Ricer heaven up here and they all try to drive like they just saw 'fast and furious'. Its real tempting to lay the smoke down and teach em some manners sometimes. just gotta know what the truck will do when you stomp it ahead of time. ;p
Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
All I can say is that I've been very fortunate and lucky that I haven' experienced any stupid mistakes in my truck from the power it has. Now in the vette, well, we won't go there.
Leave the "traction control " or whatever they call it so you can't spin the tires!! That one of my mom's is almost no fun-it handles like a dream at 100+ and it controls all the tire smoking fun if you leae the "traction control / vehicle stability" program on.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
As to the performance issue, the answer is simple. It's simply the limit of the knucklehead behind the wheel. No more, no less.

How is it that some guys can never get a ticket or an accident riding a Hayabusa, and some other guys can't stay out of trouble riding a 600?? OPERATOR LIMITATIONS.

Friend, if your ego to "show a little Honda who'ds boss" outweighs the common sense and good judgement you should have--especially while towing-- then I'd say you have too much power.

Try de-tuning to a level within your self-control......
I would have to agree. Aggressive driving and lots of power are a bad combo. Could get you into trouble, FAST. Particularlly when it is wet or icy.

I have to drive like I an egg under my boot, when it is wet or icy. I can break the duals loose very easily, under those conditions. It will usually try to slide the rear end out to the side.

I have driven well over 500k miles, and NEVER gotten a ticket for stupid driving. Have had a couple for being over weight a bit or a light out, though.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM

I would like to know also? My best is an 8.31/82 mph.

RJ
ive not been in a while to clock it but thats what the little slip says... i just wrote it directly from the slip onto the computer.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 AM

IM not a bad driver ive yet to wreck once.. also whoever said dont push the peddle so hard you must not understand the power band of a diesel.... my truck gets more power at 1/4 throttle at 1200rpms then it does at wot pushing 2800+rpms.....Ive just not been use to the power lately and it been surprising in some situations because before i rebuilt the tranny with all the new upgrades the truck would never have half the problems i have been having lately in traffic and on the on ramp with the honda... I guess i can say when you have all this power and you know you have it but its been robbed by a worn tranny or not built tranny for 2 years and your use to driving it like that even with it set to kill, and one day you upgrade the tranny and you start edited by admin at yourself because you need to stay out of it like you use to or cant take off at a red light like you normally would do before... Ill just put it this way... my grand father droove my truck home one night because he needed it to deliver some stuff from there storage unit to there house and he spin the tires just backing out of the drive way and later that night calls you telling you that you need to get new tires......then you start to relize that you have start controlling it more and learning its new edges and sweet spots to drive in....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by storx
ive not been in a while to clock it but thats what the little slip says... i just wrote it directly from the slip onto the computer.

um, your slip is WRONG. It BS, period. The problem with it is, that it also makes all of your other quoted numbers questionable, esspecially since you apparently didn t recognize the 1/8 th mile et/ mph disscrepency.

Just for reference, 98 in the 1/8th, is 120-130 in the quarter.
It would also be much much quicker then an 8.45......even with a poor leave, esspecially since your quarter mph was 112.....doesn t ad up.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, there's a price to be paid for more power. My truck is used almost exclusively as a 5th wheel puller (see signature). I've had situations where I've broken the rear wheels loose at 50 MPH in 5th gear coming out of a corner in the rain and accelerating up a hill. Taking off in the rain when towing the 5th wheel can result in breaking the tires loose in the first 4 gears if I tried to use anything even approaching full throttle.

I'm just about to have to replace the tires on my dually - the rears (especially the outside right rear) are almost to the wear bars at just over 31K miles. Major over-the-road trucking companies have noted the same problem with their 18-wheelers - once the Class 8 tractor's BHP goes over about 450, drive axle tire life goes down dramatically as BHP increases.

Rusty
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM

I run with my TST off and just the EZ and injectors for power while driving daily and towing. No problems but I'm only in the 8.21 to 8.32 1/8 mile @ 82 mph range.

Quick Reply: How much performance is to much?????