Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hoodliner Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoodliner Recommendations???

Well, I blew my turbo and got it replaced with a B-1 Bomber Kwik Kurt turbo and I just got a AFE Air Filter.

My cab is louder now and I am thinking of getting a hoodliner so my wife will travel with me in the truck again.

Any recommendations? Have any of you seen a comparison of the various hoodliners with them graded for overall effectiveness?

I am thinking of B-Quiet or Dynamat.

http://b-quiet.com/hliner.html

Thanks in advance.

MD
Old 12-27-2002, 07:50 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Re:Hoodliner Recommendations???

I was going to suggest the bquiet one. I was looking at that one myself. Bquiet has several products that sound like they would work great. They had some thick acoustical foam that I was thinking of putting underneath their hoodliner. While I was at it I was/am going to get some brownbread for the cab floors, firewall, rear wall and doors. Am even considering a few cans of noise killer to spray inside the doors
Old 12-27-2002, 11:04 AM

I just called B-Quiet and they recommend that if our hood has the OEM liner clipped in that we take the L-Comp and put it in between the OEM and the hood. They say that this will be significantly better results than using their HLiner product.<br><br>http://b-quiet.com/lcomp.html<br><br>
Old 12-27-2002, 02:39 PM

yeah I say use the L-comp, wade knows his stuff and if he recomened it, that's the way I'd go .......<br><br>b-quiet is an excelent company to deal with <br><br>BTW brown bread is a great choice on sound dampening, very easy to work with compared to other brands ......<br><br><br>FYI, brown bread and other sound dampeners work by adding mass to the surface they are glued to thus lowering their resonant frequency (the frequency they vibrate and nake noise at) to a frequency we can't here ...<br><br>soo they are the perfect chioce for vibrating panels ect... (put some on the outer door skins(from the inside of course) and the doors will close with a nice solid thud (like the old cars used too)<br><br>things like Lcomp are niose barriers(blockers) they actually absorb noise radiated noise (such as engine niose) and stop it from entering the cab..........<br><br>
Old 12-27-2002, 10:18 PM

Try these guys.<br><br>http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge_ram.htm
Old 12-27-2002, 10:32 PM

[quote author=Nevada link=board=7;threadid=8830;start=0#85510 date=1041049107]
Try these guys.

http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge_ram.htm
[/quote]

Yeah, this blanket is both functional and attractive. I saw one of these installed at a meet and was really impressed by it. It's definitely on the list.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:44 AM

So have any of you heard the difference that just the ATP hood blanket makes? Is the hood blanket effective without the other parts covered?

$400 for the ATP hood blanket vs. about $100 for the B-Quiet Lcomp solution???

If the ATP makes that much of a difference I can justify it but I better be happy with the results or I am going to be pi$$ed about investing $400 bucks.

Does anyone have a reference that I can contact?

I am going to contact ATP on Monday. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

MD
Old 12-28-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maddog,<br>I've run a B1 turbo for a year or so and have very little turbo noise with a BHAF and a serious heatshield of my own design. I brought a roll of B-Quiet and used it on the back of my cab etc, and it works well as a deadner. You might consider insulating or deadning the immediate area around your AFE as a more effective way of controling the whine. I understand that the AFE flows more then a BHAF but I've had great luck with the paper filter and dynoed over 500hp with it. I tried a trick twin airfilter setup with dual K&amp;N filters, battery removed and dynoed no hp gain over the single BHAF. Larry
Old 12-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Roger,<br><br>Did you put the B-Quiet on the engine side of the firewall or the cab side? I put two layers of Brown Bread and some L-Comp on the inside but I didn't take the dash off to get all the way up the firewall. <br><br>The engine noise is significant around the turbo and filter area.<br><br>What did you do?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>MD
Old 12-29-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MD,<br>My current setup is with B-Quiet only on the back of the cab (Quad) to cut down on exhaust noise and drone. I did have a fresh/ram air system drawing air the air dam under the front bumper, to a 1rst Generation K&amp;N cylinder airfilter in an enclosed box with B-Quiet on the outside of the air box. That eliminated the turbo whine! I also found that a 4&quot; unrestricted ram air tube falls short of the airflow that I need so I went to my current setup. The BHAF filter itself dampens the whine quite a bit (compared to a cotton guaze filter). I think most of the noise comes from the cowl area so if you want to keep the AFE, I'd bend some light gauge sheetmetal or aluminum to enclose the sides (and maybe the top) of the AFE and pull air from the OEM fender and from underneath the battery box area. Does this make any sense? Larry
Old 12-29-2002, 04:01 PM

Roger,

That makes sense. Would you think that the air flow would be restricted in any way if I enclosed the AFE from the top and the sides and just left the bottom open?

I would hate to counter act the whole reason I went with the AFE.

I could then put Brown Bread on all sides of the AFE.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:10 AM

Is there a thread on modifying the AFE box to be quieter and still allow the needed air flow? I searched but didn 't find what I was looking for. Anything on any other boards?
Old 12-30-2002, 03:20 PM

I talked with ATP (Advanced Thermal Products) today and I think this is the solution. For $600, TDR members get a 10% discount, we get the coverage to significantly reduce in cab noise. He says he can go through McDonalds drive in and not have to shut off his engine. That is the true test!!!<br><br>
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM

is the whole kit $600 or is that just for the basic kit? looks pretty good to me, probably well worth it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

holy crap! a 5 year old thread. old school!

Quick Reply: Hoodliner Recommendations???