Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Finally Twins Installed!! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally Twins Installed!! (Pics)

Well after a busy, crazy summer I was finally able to get my stuff together and work on my Source Automotive twins (HX35-14WG/ S400). The kit was unfinished so I got to do all the welding, grinding, and sandblasting. Once all that 'fun' stuff was done to my liking I had it all powdercoated a velvet medium gloss black (High temp of course 2000F!! ) . The instructions from Source Automotive were fairly good but missing all important PICTURES!! how hard could it be to snap a few shots of an install?? On an up side the install was fairly straight forward and there were no trips to the hardware store for extra parts or clamps or gaskets or whatever... it was all included ... I have the blow off valves set at their lowest setting right now (around 50psi) and all I can say is wow!! This thing can really move!!! Spoolup is very fast, EGTs are way lower than before (can finally turn up the TST and have a little fun!! ) If you have any questions about the install or the kit in general feel free to ask....

I know this gets a little old but what do you suppose my HP and torque are at??

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM

Nice...it makes a single guy like me jealous!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Impressive, good looking job. That rascal will get some air now!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 PM

Did I forget to mention the sound?? Fuel mileage will suffer for a while, I love the sound of that S400 spooling!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Can you hit 50 psi pretty easy? 100hp sticks may be a little small for a set of twins. I bet the EGT stays nice and low!
I know twins would be the perfect step for me as I want to keep the power and decrease the EGTs while towing, but DANG they are pricey! (...and a current sandrail addiction keeps the money from pooling up around my ankles)
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM

No problem hitting 50psi.... Not even a little I'm running fairly mild setings on smarty (5) and Tst 1-5 for the most part and can hit 50 no problem!!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 PM

Did the kit come with everything that you needed?i am contemplating a rips set and am wondering about if it is worth it price and quality wise.Looks good man
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM

yeah, definately looks nice. great job!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
Did the kit come with everything that you needed?i am contemplating a rips set and am wondering about if it is worth it price and quality wise.Looks good man

It came with it all. New wastegate for 14cm Housing preset, clamps, boots, steel braided oil line, drain lines, gaskets, blow off valves, etc... Never had to run to the hardware store
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 AM

I'm in finishing stages of my twins install on my 12v. I also got Rip's kit with unfinished/unwelded pipes. I ran into a few problems along the way. First was the support for the S400 turbo was a little off so the bolts on the hot pipe didn't line up. So I had to grind a bit off the bracket, no big deal. The other problem was my motor didn't have the 2nd return in the block for the big turbo, so I had to weld a fitting in the oil pan and rework return line. I am very happy with the kit so far and can't wait to get it on the road.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much do both of these kits cost???
Old 08-30-2006, 08:48 AM

Congrats on the twins! When is the dyno test commin?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mullady76
I'm in finishing stages of my twins install on my 12v. I also got Rip's kit with unfinished/unwelded pipes. I ran into a few problems along the way. First was the support for the S400 turbo was a little off so the bolts on the hot pipe didn't line up. So I had to grind a bit off the bracket, no big deal. The other problem was my motor didn't have the 2nd return in the block for the big turbo, so I had to weld a fitting in the oil pan and rework return line. I am very happy with the kit so far and can't wait to get it on the road.
Sounds like typical 12v stuff to me...I had to do the same when I put twins on the 95. Wasn't a Rip kit, but I still had to BOMB it a little!

Chris
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 AM

The DYI kit was a few hundred more then build single from II or HHT with matching downpipe.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:20 AM

Nice looking install! Agree with you about pictures, as this kind of job is new to most of us. Can't tell you how much the Pics with my kit helped my wrap my mind around what needed doing! Even had pics of the included parts list

Your third pic is confusing to me? Does the air enter the S400 at that steep an angle? Or is that the turbine housing? ....just curious as this is first kit from Rip I have seen??

EDIT - Don't know about your total HP...but I gained 56 hp going from a big single to twins. (Others that went before predicted 50-60 hp). That's after gaining 30 hp from stock to big single turbo! Going from stock to twins.... ?

RJ

Quick Reply: Finally Twins Installed!! (Pics)