Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge J/A Operating Experience I, Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge J/A Operating Experience I, Clutch

Last summer I had the original block mounted lift pump fail (at 65K miles) and that caused the VP44 IP to fail. I had the IP replaced and chose to install the in-tank LP based on one of the mechanic’s recommendations. Luckily, the failure was not catastrophic and occurred near home on a road trip pulling a 23 foot travel trailer.

I chose the Edge J/A product because it could monitor and alarm LP fuel pressure and other parameters. The options to select power delivery levels, and improve fuel mileage unloaded and while towing the trailer were a big factor. I operate the truck unloaded in1X3 mode and in 2X3 mode towing the trailer. My driving is normally at greater than 6000 feet elevation (I live at 7500 feet) and I do not have a lead foot.

Over time before the Edge J/A, I developed a awareness of certain sounds and normal vibrations at highway speeds, in addition to just RPM and speed, as a signal to shift down to 5th gear. On the first trip pulling the trailer with the Edge operating in 2X3 mode going up a moderate highway grade in 6th gear, I was paying close attention to the RPM and speed and my ‘signal’ to sift down did not come. RPM stayed there at about 1800. The engine definitely sounded loaded …. a different sound from before, but it seemed OK. While monitoring the RPM and speed in 6th gear I simultaneously felt a change and RPM jumped up about 300 RPM. I let off the throttle and the RPM dropped back and I shifted down to 5th. The stock clutch slipped …. not good. Subsequently with a lead foot and not pulling the trailer I found that I could make it slip in 6th gear also. So, I have either exceeded the so called truck component design balance or I have a clutch getting ready to go south.

In the long run a new heavier duty clutch is in order. In the short run, since the clutch fails only at high power high torque conditions, I continue my conservative driving habits and operate the Edge J/A display with fuel pressure (for the original problem), engine exhaust gas temperature, boost, and % load. I found that if I operate at less than 70-80% load, I have not seen the stock clutch slip. And therefore to stay below 70-80% load I must shift down to place more mechanical advantage of the transmission between the clutch and the wheels, and/or slow down.

One problem with my pillar mounted Edge installation that I have not solved is that somehow a transient occurs either with the ignition being turned on or turned off that causes a change in the overhead console odometer display total mileage and therefore the console odometer and fuel economy displays are in error. After it is up and operating, the overhead odometer tracks the main odometer precisely. It is the on/off transient that seems to be the culprit. There was no problem with the overhead display prior to the installation. In fact the fuel economy nearly matched the calculated economy. Suggestions?