Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

charge air circuit test

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charge air circuit test

For anyone interested in finding out if they have small leaks in their charge air system, I fashioned a homemade pressure setup that allowed me to pressurize the system from the turbo to the intake. I found three small leaks I didn't know I had and improved my max boost from 28# to 32#. I used a 4" threaded PVC plug, drilled and tapped it for an airline fitting and connected my pressure regulator to it. I put this in the intake hose where it comes off the filter box/BHAF. Then just pulled the hose off the intake manifold and used a 4" rubber screw-type plug in the hose. Word of caution: the breather hose from the filter won't take more than 20-25# of pressure before it blows the plug out This was plenty of pressure to listen for and locate leaks.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:charge air circuit test

It's not neccessary to pull the hose off the intake manifold to pressure up the intake system. Even using a small compressor, any air leaks inside the engine are easily over come. This also checks for intake manifold leaks which are common with the intake plenum plate and horn on 24vs.<br><br>You can build a system pressure checker for under $10 which connects directly to the intake of the turbo and allows for pressure checks up to 50 or 60 lbs.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:00 PM

That sounds alot more efficient. Why do you not lose air through the valves and out the exhaust?
Old 01-30-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=cowpie link=board=7;threadid=10255;start=0#98617 date=1043985608]<br>That sounds alot more efficient. Why do you not lose air through the valves and out the exhaust? <br>[/quote]<br><br>There's no valve overlap in the CTD.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:55 AM

I just built one for $6. Go to Home Depot and get there 4&quot; metal pipe plug. It has two metal platess and a rubber gasket thing inbetween them. As you tighten the bolt, the gasket is pushed outwards and seals any cicl from about 3.75 up to 4.25 inches. Drill a 1/2&quot; hole in the outside steel plate and put in a tire valve stem. drill a couple of holes in the bottom plate to let the air through. Wou may have to grind a little off the edge of the rear plate to clear he turbo inlet inner diameter, but no big deal. Oh yeah, you will also have to replace the wing nut that comes with the plug with a normal nut for clearence of the valve stem. I would put a picture of mine up, but I let a friend borrow it and won't have it back for a week or so.<br>Mark<br>
Old 01-31-2003, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info. As usual, there is always someone on this board with a better idea that makes my life easier. <br>No doubt I'm behind the curve on this one too, but I found the cure to my chronic leak problems around the hose-to-tube connections to be permatex adhesive gasket spray. Seems to work like a champ.