Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best way to hook up the pump wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Best way to hook up the pump wire?

BigBlue, where do you get the Blue Chip cover? and your signature says that the wire is not hooked up yet. And you say the dealer cannot detect, was this on a different truck that the cover did its job. Not trying to put you on the spot I ma just want to hook up my wire w/o the ******* giving me any greif.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tested my grabber on some wire scraps, a couple of days ago. It was extremely difficult to tell where it had pierced any of the wires. I also have the Edge wire piercing gizmo which chuck3 reported about. It is good, but not as good as the grabber. Both are light years better than a scotch lock.<br><br>The Blue Chip pump cover is also nice, but too much work to take on and off.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:46 PM

[quote author=Horse Hauler link=board=7;threadid=6306;start=15#59425 date=1036007640]<br>BigBlue, where do you get the Blue Chip cover?[/quote]<br><br>Blue Chip Diesel is the place to get the pump cover. It is a slick unit. GREAT FOLKS, really can't say enough nice things about them. They helped out a buddy in Munice. Pump cover is great.<br><br>Andrew
Old 10-30-2002, 07:59 PM

Call Edge Products also they have a pin that will clamp the wire with a needle. They used to use them with the early comp box's. They stopped using them due to bad connections from water getting around the needle. What I did was put dye-electric compound. This will keep water out we have been using them on trucks for years. The wire can easly be massaged out if needed.<br><br>Don ATS Diesel Performance
Old 11-01-2002, 08:04 PM

Jack, before you go and replace it you might want to check for a stuck overflow valve on the injection pump. The manual has a procedure for replacing it. Don't drop $$$ needlessly on a new pump when a new check valve would do the trick. <br><br>-Tom-
Old 11-03-2002, 01:48 PM
JR2

No offense to TST but the grabber they use is nothing but a fluke wire pierce for testing wires. The key part is its a very temporary pierce. There is no protection from water at all. These things are not made for continous use in a hostile evnironment If it where me I would either get the blue chip cover or one of the little black pierce boxes from Edge.<br><br>I have the wire pierce from Edge and its been on for 20K miles and I have never had a problem. It has also been taken on and off a couple times for visits to the dealer and still works great.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:44 AM

So I've got three questions for all you pump wire guys, noting that I too have the comp but not the guts to hook up the wire ;D.<br><br>1. The blue chip cover still pierces a wire, only on the inside of the cover, right or wrong? In other words, if there was really a warranty issue with the VP44, wouldn't they find out anyway? <br><br>2. What really is the reliability impact of hooking up the wire? I've heard of VP44's dying soon after the wire is hooked up, apparently due to the sudden increased in plunger excursion after having been &quot;worn in&quot; to a smaller excursion. Any truth to that, or was that story unique to some early, problematic production runs? Warranty issues aside, hooking up the wire does force the pump to operate outside the boundaries built into the software interface. Doesn't that introduce stress or wear in the pump and hasn't anyone identified or characterized this yet?<br><br>3. The ETH has a smaller plunger, lower volume higher pressure design. Is it any more or less suceptable to reliabillity issues associated with hooking up the wire?<br><br>thanks guys -- Doug
Old 11-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Banned

Alright yall. I hooked up the pump wire this weekend and I thought I felt a difference. One thing though. I was looking at the wires and what they touchedon the pump. Now, on mine I have two wirs, power and ground. The power is on the top and has a point on the end of the terminal and the ground is on the bottom and has a cup on the end of it's terminal. I looked at where the point for the power has been connecting at and all it is hitting is plastic. No metal or wire or nothing. Now, the ground sits over four little points in the pump and you can see the one where the ground has been connected to before. The point is kinda flattened (thinking I need to flatten the rest so dealer would think they were all that way I don't want any flames about that statement). So I got to thinking, &quot;Maybe the wires are reversed.&quot; So I switched them around. Now the power wire is on th bottom with the cup in the terminal and the ground is on the top with the pointed terminal. I went for a little trip yest. after doing that. ;D ;D ;D I've never felt this truck pull that hard and fast. I hit 110mph in no time and I wasn't even full throttle (Comp on 1x5). I stomped it from the line on 2x4 and it chirped the tires on dry ground, TWICE!! My truck has never been able to do that. So maybe the wires just came from the factory switched around. One thing though. When I stomp on it, my FP goes to 5.0 :'(. Oh well, I'm ordering the Holley Black from Rod this Sat. so it's cool. Just thought I'd let yall know that.<br><br>I'm guessing that is the way the wires are supposed to be. The truck is definately stronger and peppier now than it was before. And it doesn't surge anymore like it used to.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Banned

GP, I have the pump wire hooked up.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Banned

I know torquemaster. I don't have the ground hooked up on the Blue Chip. The post is unscrewd all the way and the end of wire trimmed so no wire is exposed.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:47 PM

Anyone using the TST Grabber try to seal the connection up to keep it from corroding?