Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed liner

Im goint to have a reflex liner sprayed in mt 01 Ram over the rails but am considering having it also put on the sides of the truck from the line on the door (about 3"up from bottom of door) tto the bottom front to back. The truck is black and the big tires just chip the paint and it doesnt look good. Thought this might solve my problem, If anyone has done this please let me know pics would be even better.

Thanks Wrangler
Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a shot of a friend of mines' truck. He had his done a bit higher than you want, but it should show you how it will look. I am gonna do the same thing to mine shortly.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Here's mine with Line-X

Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the pix I think it looks great But does it hold up well and would you do it again. I think Im going to do it but its soo permanent.
Thanks Wrangler
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 AM

I had that done on a truck that I used to own (rhino) and peeled off but they put it on super thin and did not prep it correctly so they redid it for free and then it was on there like paint - correction it was on there better than paint. The shop that did mine had never hear of anyone having it applied to outside the bed before (I had mine done many years ago when the stuff was first out on the market) so they put it on to try and make it look like paint did not want the big bumps that are associated with Rhino on the outside they were trying to do me a favor. Me I wanted the rough and tumble look from the get go.

Stopped all the rock chips you can get it sprayed on with color mixed in and if they match the color correctly it looks like paint (just a orange peel paint job no less) but the added protection makes up for it many times over.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Chapter President

I love the bed liner, Mine's a little higher though, but it Is well worth it. I have more pics in the gallery if you want to check them out. If you end up doing yours, go ahead and post the pics so we can see!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM

When I first got my 1st gen. It had some bed liner crap on the sides. Not really sure who it was by. I did like it as it did protect it rather well. But after a couple of years, rust started showing up under it so I tried taking it off so I could paint the door panels and stuff. Well let me tell you that it doesn't come off that easy. Even with the sandblaster, it would just eat up the blast and not really come off. Took some doing but it did finally come off so we could repaint. (tried painting over it and no good, just gets gooey).

But, I would recommend it as it did what it was suppose to do. Just a pain to fix things afterwards as it is thick and permanent.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Ben

[IMG] [/IMG]

Here's mine. Rhino lined.

Does it work to prevent rock chips. Yes

Would I do it again. Big Fat No, because of the rust factor behind it and I've already experienced.

I drive about 1/3 of the time on gravel roads. I'll deal anyday with rock chips over rust.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ben,

What do you mean rust under it ?? I was thinking of doing mine just like yours, bed & rockers. Not so sure now. Can you explain a bit more what the problems were ?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Ben

TRCM,

I smoked 2 deer on the passenger front last Oct. Needed new front fender. Well, they peeled the rhino off of the front fender and the passenger side door to blend the paint with the new fender.

There was a spot of cancer behind the rhino on the fender and 2 big rust spots on the passenger side door. Wasn't real happy. Truck was immaculate when it was applied. 26k on the odometer. Only had it on there for 1.5 years.

All it takes is one pin hole to let moisture in then you're screwed.

If you're not in the rust belt then I imagaine you would be "ok."

The bedliner came with the truck and that "seems" to be holding up fine.

I have pictures of it somewhere. I'll get them up of the fender when I find them.