Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

BD twins

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD twins

Well I got my BD towing twins installed and man do they work. I would like to hear some opinions. I am running 150hp DDPs and an adrenaline for fuel and a stock HO pump. My truck on injectors alone can hit the 45lb wastegate, but will not exceed that. I can put the adr on PL02 and hit 50lbs with a stab of the throttle so in order to run it to the mat without boosting past 50psi I have to gradually(hard) roll my foot into the throttle so that the boost levels out. Now just on PL03 I can hit 53-55 in 4th and 5th with ease and in 6th again rolling into but pretty aggressively see 55psi plus. This is all great but I only have studs, and now although I have egts that won't even break 1100* I can't even really tap into the adrenalines power. I was under the impression that I would be able to waste gate it at 50psi. I realize that with endless fuel the waste gate can only handle so much, but I was really hoping to be able to use some of the untapped power. Does it sound like my waste gate is functioning right I can see it work on injectors alone but as you have read it is useless with any extra fuel. Is there anything I can do? Blow off valve? Bigger waste gate? The wife will not let me get the head o-ringed as I just dumped major cash on the twins, but I would have to agree with her seeing as how times aren't the greatest and we just bought a house. Maybe I didn't do enough research but maxing the waste gate with only 150hp DDPs seems a little off, but like I said maybe I didn't ask the right questions. I spoke with Dave at BD and I in no way think he led me wrong I just might have got the wrong impression and don't know what to do right now. And NOW a little bit of good news they fit great it was a 100% complete kit with great install instructions. Did it with 3 sets of hands is 7 hours and 2-3 more hours by myself wrapping everything up. And when on those few occasions that I was on PL03 the truck spooled great no slower than stock and just flat out accelerated. On a damp freeway at about 50mph fifth gear I rolled hard and at 60mph when the turbos came on strong you could feel my 295s fighting for traction. So a great product with great results more power for sure and cool egts. Can't wait to tow. Now if I could just figure out how to use some more fuel with out exceeding 50psi until I can o-ring it. I would be stoked. Just a little bummed because I spent major cash and still can't use all of my power. When I thought this would make it happen. So Happy Holidays to all and I look forward to any and all help. EDIT from the time I wrote this All information is corect but I know now for a fact wastegate is working and I have it adjusted as far as possible to help control boost still I can exceed into the 45-50 range on PL02. Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 PM

HTT makes a spacer for the wastegate so it will open more fully. It will hit the plate behind it the way it comes from BD. Spacer is less than $100.....at least 3 years ago it was around $70 I think. Adjust the waste gate with the regulator on your air compressor (blow gun nozzle on the rubber actuator hose) to come open a little sooner.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned

I drilled the plate so it would open farther then welded a freeze plug over it
Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just run it like it is, and when the headgasket goes, tell the wife that since the head is off, I might as well oring it. Orings are anywhere from $200-$300 to be done.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Did either the plate and or freeze plug method help to regulate the boost? How much?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great thread. I was thinking of the BD twins in 07. I should have went with them. Oh well....maybe when I hit the lottery I will get them.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM

mine have hit 63 psi mutiple times turn it up and have fun
Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM

BD twins ROCK if you can't fab your own. Love mine. Install the spacer for the wastegate. Certainley can't hurt keeping drive pressure down at high boost levels.

FYI, my stock head gasket lasted about 1 month.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by csrosenberry
Did either the plate and or freeze plug method help to regulate the boost? How much?
I don't have a problem, with the stock plate the waist gate doesn't open very far.If you take the plate off and put a straight edge across you'll see how little,I also use a soft copper gasket between the housing and plate because of the exhaust brake.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
The Guru

I would guess that you should be ok at the mid to low 50's for boost. I don't know how BD blow-off valve works. My old PDR twins had two adjustable blow-off valves. If you only want 45-50psi, drop the blow-off pressure some and have them open earlier. Adjusting the secondary wastegate will just load/unload the primary more, so the boost pressure might not change too much and you're egt's will change based on how the primary is loaded. At you're current egt's, I would guess that you're currently set-up correctly and I would just leave the twins as is. Head gaskets are killed by high egt's and high drive pressure (cylinder pressure). What torque you have on the head studs? I would crank them up to 135ft*lbs and use the ARP lube on the threads.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Well my studs are currently at 125 but I might go a little more tonight just for a re torque. Well here is the deal I love my egts but, I can hit 55psi with the wastegate set at 45psi and I only have my Adr. on PL03. So I want to try and use a little more of my fueling if possible. Maybe I am just scared. I haven't held it to see what it will level out at everytime I have hit 55psi I just lift on the throttle enough to drop back down. But it seems to me like some people are running the same fueling if not more and they are able to keep it at 60psi. When I get my adr. back on fri. I will do a little playing this weekend.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 AM

csrosenberry, I'm having the same problem, with just the smarty and the 4's i can make 45psi, if i run the tst at all i peg my 60psi guage hard. the wastegate on the SPS62 i just took off had no problem keeping boost under control.

Randy
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM

Well my studs are currently at 125 but I might go a little more tonight just for a re torque. Well here is the deal I love my egts but, I can hit 55psi with the wastegate set at 45psi and I only have my Adr. on PL03. So I want to try and use a little more of my fueling if possible. Maybe I am just scared. I haven't held it to see what it will level out at everytime I have hit 55psi I just lift on the throttle enough to drop back down. But it seems to me like some people are running the same fueling if not more and they are able to keep it at 60psi. When I get my adr. back on fri. I will do a little playing this weekend.
When you installed your head studs did you pull the head or just do one stud at a time any info would be great. thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...... So a great product with great results more power for sure and cool egts. Now if I could just figure out how to use some more fuel with out exceeding 50psi until I can o-ring it. I would be stoked. Thanks
Mike Holman is correct above, IMO. Adjusting wastegate to open sooner just loads up your Primary and will not solve your problem.... and will increase your EGT's. Keep your secondary set at 40 psi (as it comes from the factory). Don't second guess the designer.
Only solution is blow off valves... probaly two, mounted after secondary. I would not exceed 50 psi without o-rings. And never push it till everything is fully warmed up. Even at 50 your are living on the edge, IMO.
Never used blow off valves so not sure, but if you could set them for 45 psi, I believe you might still clear up all your somke and be much safer.

One other possibility, with your HO injector pump, you probably aren't seeing any extra fueling past PL04 on your Adrenaline.... so you may not get any higher boost than already expirienced. Just a thought.

I get 65 psi from my BD twins with Adrenaline and Mach 6's. Glad you like your BD's....Love mine.

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Mike Holman is correct above, IMO. Adjusting wastegate to open sooner just loads up your Primary and will not solve your problem.... and will increase your EGT's. Keep your secondary set at 40 psi (as it comes from the factory). Don't second guess the designer.
Only solution is blow off valves... probaly two, mounted after secondary. I would not exceed 50 psi without o-rings. And never push it till everything is fully warmed up. Even at 50 your are living on the edge, IMO.
Never used blow off valves so not sure, but if you could set them for 45 psi, I believe you might still clear up all your somke and be much safer.

One other possibility, with your HO injector pump, you probably aren't seeing any extra fueling past PL04 on your Adrenaline.... so you may not get any higher boost than already expirienced. Just a thought.

I get 65 psi from my BD twins with Adrenaline and Mach 6's. Glad you like your BD's....Love mine.

Good Luck.
Why does the bd web site install .It says max boost for the twins is 52 psi and not to past that.

Quick Reply: BD twins