Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATS Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS Transmissions?

Hey, has anyone else on this forum used an ATS transmission or transmission parts? After looking into different transmission options for my truck, I opted for ATS. It has now been over two months and many, many thousands of dollars later and I still do not have a transmission that works. I've gotten bad part after bad part, after bad transmission from ATS and in the process have racked up nearly three thousand dollars at my transmission shop in labor charges changing out their parts. I am using the third largest Dodge dealer in the country's best transmission tech to make sure that installations have been correct. This situation is still ongoing, so maybe ATS will make good on something, but after two months without my truck and quickly approaching SEVEN THOUSAND dollars for parts and labor I am beginning to think I've been had. Again, Clint at ATS says he will make things right, but so far I'm just going further and further into this black hole and have totally run out of money and still have no truck. Anybody have any suggestions or able to offer any help? Needless to say, this is positively killing me and my faith in aftermarket "performance" transmissions.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you should be dealing with ATS to seek satisfaction. If Clint says he will make it right, let him.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:53 PM

2 MONTHS & 7 THOUSAND DOLLARS. .OMG I feel bad for you.Keep us posted as to what happens.

Kurt
Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 PM

first welcome and sorry to hear about ur problems...

no aftermarket trannies for me yet, but after surfing this board and others for several years this is the first time i have heard anything bad about any of the big tranny guys...I have heard individuals bash the other guys stuff but i believe thats all opinion. are you sure its not the installer. has the tranny guy contacted ATS to help solve ur problem...I would think for that kind of money you could have bought 2 trannies one from ATS and one from DTT both complete and did a nice comparision for us

Dan

keep us posted and hope they get it straightend out
Old 02-23-2004, 08:29 PM

DF5152, thanks for your concern. The installer is an ASE Master tech. specializing in automatic trans. He works at a Dodge dealer that puts out an average of 500 units per month, so he has no shortage of practice and he is their top transmission guy, doing almost all of their truck transmission jobs. And, all work has been done in their state of the art shop. (I'm told that is why their labor rate is sky high) I've had him in contact with ATS every step of the way to make sure ATS doesn't think it is me, an admitted shade tree mechanic (competent, but no doubt shade tree) doing the installs. As I said, I'm just about literally sick (not to mention broke) over this matter. I do intend to update this site on the progress and what ATS is willing to do to help with my positively huge outlay of cash for this deal. Hopefully I will be able to report that ATS steps up to the plate and makes good on their problems that have cost me plenty. If not, I will grudgingly be willing to post enough evidence of me being slaughtered by ATS, including receipts, conversations, technical numbers from the installing master tech etc., that nobody in their right mind would deal with ATS. Needless to say, I really, really, really, hope ATS makes this very bad situation right. Before long, it would have been cheaper to have just bought a new truck! Nothing would please me more than being able to report that ATS stepped up and made things right, and took care of all of my needless extra expenses of labor and freight. At this point, I'm willing to just forget that I have not had my truck for months and have had to borrow trucks from friends. Right now I'm teetering on the thought that this ATS transmission route was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life. Again, I really, really hope not.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 PM

I've had mine now for over 10,000 miles and love it. I have no regrets. TST did my install and I am glad I went with them.
I guess Expressway Dodge is doing yours? I hate to say it but I wouldn't take my lawn mower to them for service. We have been around and around with them befor on an Intrepid we purchased from them. It was in their shop 6 times for a leaking rear window, it didn't leak until they replaced it due to the defroster not working. We had a similar deal with a vibration in the front end same car. We ended up having Sternbergs fix it by replacing a front axle on the first trip.
I know Ron and Jerry very well actually friends of the family. But they will not write any service orders on anything I have again. I would try a different installer, preferably one recomended by ATS. TST and Scheids are the closest to us here in southern IN. Good luck

Were you happy with the work Kolb did for you? I've heard good things about them but mostly from GM guys.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 PM

Thanks Mudcat for the reply. I've been well pleased with Kolb and their fuel system work. Yes, Expressway has been doing the installs and, as you are aware, they are not cheap. They are the highest rated Dodge repair facility in this part of the country according to Chrysler Corporation. I checked. Sorry to hear you had problems with them. In my case, however, it would be difficult for them to create internal problems with a complete transmission during the installs. It's not like they are rebuilding, just installing. I generally have always done all my own work, but with a transmission as expensive as ATS, I didn't want there to be any debate whether the "owner install" was correct and possibly void my warranty. Which, unfortunately, looks like I may be using if I ever get it to go in the first place.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:28 AM

Hey Mudcat, how long ago did you put in your ATS trans? Right now I have my fingers (and toes) crossed that ATS will make good. Clint there has spoken with the dealership and it seems that they (ATS) have sent in yet another bad transmission. I'm just wondering if ATS has changed some of their quality checks etc. since you got yours. I'm currently at three bad shipments from ATS in a row. And, yes, I'm broke, ******, truckless etc. and still hoping that ATS comes through like a good company would.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:21 AM

I had mine installed Oct 13 of last year. I just find it hard to believe that ATS sent you 3 bad trannies. I guess anything can happen, but those odds are pretty high.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Got my new ATS transmission last week at ATS headquarters in Wheat Ridge, CO. I live nearby. In and out in three days, including Commander and PacBrake. I have no complaints.

What exactly is wrong with your new installation or the parts from ATS? You gave no details. Why are you swapping both parts and trannies? Doesn't a trannie from ATS come complete? Did your installer find bad parts inside? Why did he look inside?

Mine was swapped out with a unit off the shelf completely pre-built and waiting for a new home. At ATS you can see a dozen lined up on the rack ready to go and all the same, add the VB, TripleLoc TC and Commander and you're good to go. Yours should have been as good as mine, only difference is the installer.

Don't take this as blind allegiance to ATS or as criticism directed at you. I just want to know what your problems are for my own education and future dealings with ATS.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Rare1, I first went with the TripleLoc, valve body, Commander and gauges. This was due to a slight shudder in my stock torque converter. I even dropped the pan to make sure that there was no contamination in the fluid or in the pan that could have been a sign that some damage could have happened to my existing transmission. I didn't want to drive it any after having the first symptoms as to assure no damage was done to my existing good transmission. On the first shipment, the valve body was bad and did not allow the Commander to work. New valve body sent in later allowed the Commander to work but then the TripleLoc converter then only made it for about 30 miles before it came apart. Parts of the TripleLoc converter coming apart circulated through my good transmission and took it out. ATS then sent a new complete transmission with a new converter (at my expense for the transmission and shipping) and now there is no 3rd gear or reverse among other problems. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm out nearly seven grand and am in a worse position than two months ago. The latest I had heard was that Clint at ATS had spoken with the installing dealership after disassembling their (ATS's) transmission and was in the process of having ATS send in parts to repair their transmission they sent in. I agree, and wish, my ATS transmission should have been as good as yours. However, my installer did not build it. They only installed what they were sent. I realize that even with the best of products you can and will have some problems, but holy cow, after the time and money I've spent I'm just beginning to wonder and worry. After all, I have now racked up literally thousands in shipping and labor alone and still don't even have a truck I can drive! My whole reason for the post was to try to get some feedback on ATS from people who have used them to help me from thinking I made a huge mistake by spending my hard earned money with them. Believe me, I'd much rather see positive comments about ATS than have loads of others telling me that I just walked into a money pit. I'm just wanting my truck to work and for ATS to do what is right. I'm outta money, outta truck, and running outta time. Nothing would please me more than being to put up a post saying that ATS did what was right, fixed my truck, and that their product is awesome!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:12 PM

I feel your pain. I had my ATS tranny install in September of 03 and it just went out last week. Total meltdown. Luckily I purchased my tranny from Belflower Transmission which is ATS's largest installer so they are as close to ATS as you can get. Mine broke on Tuesday of last week and my new one came yesterday morning. I am hoping to get it today but most likely tomorrow.

So far the only out of pocket expenses I have is the $100 in towing which I am hoping to get reimbursed on.

I must say that I am totally disappointed with this breakdown. If you heard the amount of convincing I had to do with my wife to let me install a transmission is not broken for "peace of mind" and a "bulletproof" transmission, you would've been proud. For it to break is just retarded. I feel like a schmuck not only to my wife but to my family, whom I have hyped the bada$$'d ness of this transmission to.

I talked to Clint this morning about the towing costs and he said he wants to get the old one back to the shop so they can determine the cause of the failure. For your sake and mine I hope they stand by thier product for the simple sake of doing what's right.

I hope I don't have a repeat problem like you did and I hope ATS had all thier quality control checks well in place.

In fact, I just got a call and the truck is ready. Wish me luck.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:32 PM

I agree that I don't like to talk bad about a company however there are cases which merit it for the benefit of potential buyers. I have begun doing some research on transmission companies and I spoke with the largest diesel shop in Salt Lake and the tech that I spoke to said that they no longer install ATS transmissions due to all of the problems that they have had with them. Take it for what it's worth. I'm sure there could be some additional politics involved but that is what I was told. They recommend Suncoast.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:46 PM

I have beat the crap out of mine for 60,000 miles now. Never had a problem. If Clint says it will be taken care of, then it will.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks StakeMan. I sure hope you are right. The ordeal still drags on...

Quick Reply: ATS Transmissions?