Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AirDog vs. FASS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, monitoring fuel pressure 10 feet from the injection pump is more of a feel good measure than truely useful.

I have seen instances where fuel pressure was good at the lift pump and zero at the injection pump.

I would still monitor pressures as close to the injection pump as practical. Then you know exactly what your IP is seeing.

JMO

Dave
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 AM

I know, I went to lowes and made my own that monitors the pressure just before the injection pump. It would be nice if they included this fitting from the start.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Minimizing line restriction to maintain the necessary pressure at the injector pump is one of the reasons we supply a 1/2" Big Line with the AirDog 100 & 150.

Charlie
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but using 1/2" lines because your worried about "line restriction" on a bigger than required, aftermarket pump that pushes fuel directly to the Injector Pump.... sounds, to me, a bit like misleading marketing melodrama.

RJ
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I would still monitor pressures as close to the injection pump as practical. Then you know exactly what your IP is seeing.
Exactly my sentiments. It is the pressure to the pump that you are worried about after all.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Sorry, but using 1/2" lines because your worried about "line restriction" on a bigger than required, aftermarket pump that pushes fuel directly to the Injector Pump.... sounds a bit like misleading marketing melodrama.

RJ
I think it's been stated that the cost difference between -6 and -8 is minimal.

In my application, I use -8 on the suction side and -6 on the pressure side. I am running a 12V pump off the cam lobe and I see 45 psi at idle, 43 at cruise and 30+ at WOT. This is going though the factory filter and the associated fittings.

All I am trying to say is that much is made of line size. I am not sure that bigger is always better. I have tried -8 on the pressure side and my WOT pressures were reduced.

Dave
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I think it's been stated that the cost difference between -6 and -8 is minimal.
Yeah, I heard that earlier and found it good factual info and interesting.

Just trying to limit the comments to the important stuff, for those newer members looking at both systems.... which (I repeat) are both good high end pumps, IMO!
Buying an AirDog because it has 1/2" lines is not the best of reasons, based in my own experience.

RJ
Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Yeah, I heard that earlier and found it good factual info and interesting.

Just trying to limit the comments to the important stuff, for those newer members looking at both systems.... which (I repeat) are both good high end pumps, IMO!
Buying an AirDog because it has 1/2" lines is not the best of reasons, based in my own experience.

RJ
I think there's a few ways to look at it.

First, the primary restriction in all fuel systems other than the termination point (VP44) is the ID of the fittings used.

Many -6 fittings are far too restrictive for any practical gains. This is where -8 clearly has an advantage.

But honestly, everyone thinks bigger is better. So, it becomes a feature.

If you want to compare the products, it's pretty easy. Fuel Preporator came first. FASS was essentially a copy. Both parties split ways and the design has taken thier own directions. Good for the consumer!

Both share a 6 year warranty. And the only last factual thing I know about the pumps is that the AirDog is reported to be quieter for the same volume rating. I don't know the internal differences, but that usually indicates a high level of attention to detail, tolerances and packaging.

Dave
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM

I wish I would have waited a few more months to get a fuel system. I bought my FASS mainly because it has a 6year warranty and I have 2 dealers within 10 miles of my house. I actually wanted to go with an Airdog system because of the good things I had heard about it. Now that they're on sale and have a 6year warranty as well, I really wish I had waited.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Pressure is the result of restricting flow. The reason that a line bigger than needed is always better, is to guarantee flow. If you have the flow, you have a better chance of having the pressure at the application point. That is, as long as you have a good quality, high output pump and the motor with the torque to turn that pump mechanism.

Not hipe, just good common sense! I've bought too many things in my life that were a good idea but just under built. Ididn't like it then and I won't be a part of it now! It doesn't take much effort to go from 'Just OK' to 'Darn, That's Good'! I just had to change the m to r.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 PM

And how big is the orifice going into the VP? How about the suction line connection at the tank?

Both look like good pumps, but the whole half-inch line thing is of no real impact or importance...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:32 PM

You are right about the consideration of the ports at each end. You can only get so much fuel through a given size port and that is why you need a larger pickup tube with larger volume pumps.

However, anywhere you can reduce fluidic friction in a conduit you will increase the efficiency of the system.

The increase in flow and pressure may not be a great amount, but then the difference of just .010 second in a drag race isn't much either, unless you consider what the winner won and the looser lost. Its all in how you look at it.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Just curious I ordered the Airdog 150 kit for a 12 valve. I was wondering if you have to drop the fuel tank to install the kit?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 PM

dropping the tank

All AirDog 150's require the larger pickup tube. This much flow will empty the pickup baskets at low fuel levels. The 150 install kit includes the pickup tube. And yes, you will need to drop the tank or lift the bed.

Charlie

Last edited by Fuel Preporator; 12-09-2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: didn't answer the question
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Lifting the bed is not hard to do .... just 4 - 15 millimeter bolts(im pretty sure) and then just jack the bed up

Quick Reply: AirDog vs. FASS