Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

5" Exhaust, Cat, and North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so then where is the cat located if its not the cone-shaped thing (resonator) in front of the muffler?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:38 PM

I guess it's the cone-shaped thing. I myself would like to hear that there is no cat on these trucks. So someone chime in if that info is wrong.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Chapter President

You must not have a cat.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:13 PM
DTR question asker

Ok, so someone help us out here: there is the muffler, I know what that looks like. Then what is the cone shaped thing that is right before the muffler?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 PM

I just moved to Durham. According to the DMV I have 10 days to get a safety inspection on my truck. There was no cat on it when I bought it last year and it passed the VA safety inspection. Hopefully it will be ok down here. I'll let you know as soon as I get it done.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 PM

what i know (which isnt written stone, just what ive read so far) is the 2nd gen 12 valves DO have a cat, but the 2nd gen 24 valves do NOT have a cat.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM

My '96 DEFINITELY had a cat on it and it was the cone shape part right in front of the muffler. I "gutted" it before I smartened up and went with a full 4" exhaust. I spent an hour hammering a pipe through it to break the insides up and I can show you the scar on my thumb from where it got caught between the cat and the hammer towards the end. I don't know how they are down there but in my county they don't check the diesel trucks very thoroughly at all and if I ever get asked where the cat is I'll tell them "it's a diesel, it doesn't come with a cat".

John
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

As said above all 2nd generation 12v's except early '94 have a cat, mine isn't on and I don't plan on adding one anytime soon lol.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
DTR question asker

Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
I just moved to Durham. According to the DMV I have 10 days to get a safety inspection on my truck. There was no cat on it when I bought it last year and it passed the VA safety inspection. Hopefully it will be ok down here. I'll let you know as soon as I get it done.
Tell me how it goes and where you got it inspected if it does pass...

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile dieselfuelonly has cat

Just to clairify your 96 with the (cone shaped thingy) at the end of the down pipe is miss kitty (catylitic converter). The resonators are round and look like a smaller second muffler. You know those darn kitty's sometimes run away from home have you seen mine???? She has been missing a while now!!!!!!!! Check with you county DMV maybe even online and see what rules are written then you will know for sure and make a copy of it because that is what will ultimately hold up in court if you ever have a problem
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/

it shouldnt matter what county you live in (its a federal law), if its gone it needs to be put back on...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
Tell me how it goes and where you got it inspected if it does pass...

Good Luck
That thing in front of the muffler IS your cat, go get a 4" exhaust and then you can modify the 3" inlet to 4" and have a cat if NC gets picky. Right now I have a friend-------Mine gets inspected with 4" turbo back straight pipe. I did have it inspected at an inspection center and they only look for a muffler. If you need a hand let me know.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
Are you coming to our dyno day in Durham on the 17th of Feb?? If you have a muffler it will pass inspection, these guys are not that bright to keep track of which years do and do not have cats. If you have a problem I will get it inspected for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Are you coming to our dyno day in Durham on the 17th of Feb?? If you have a muffler it will pass inspection, these guys are not that bright to keep track of which years do and do not have cats. If you have a problem I will get it inspected for you.

Heck yeah what time and were? I've got afternoon plans but if it's in the AM I'm in.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 PM

My 96 had a CAT and muffler...and I straight piped it prior to inspection...I was just told if I got pulled over that "it wasn't like this when we inspected it..." and my 98 was straight piped when i bought it so i dunno...and as for cops, i've only gotten one dirty look for being too loud...i've been pulled over twice with my 5" and both commented on how good it sounded ...but it probably depends on the cop and the day they're having...

Quick Reply: 5" Exhaust, Cat, and North Carolina