Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   2001 cummins running hot (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/2001-cummins-running-hot-66734/)

wilddog 04-22-2005 09:01 AM

2001 cummins running hot

my 01 cummins is running hot when I tow up hill. My waste gate has been stuck in the past but I freed it up and it is still doing it. Any suggestions?

Palmetto_kid 04-22-2005 09:10 AM

change your thermostat.

RustyJC 04-22-2005 09:59 AM

Probably one of the following:

1. Thermostat

2. Thermal fan clutch

3. Dirty radiator (oil mist/dirt between front of radiator and back of intercooler)

If it's an automatic, there's every chance that you're pulling the grade with an unlocked torque converter. If that's the case, the HOT transmission fluid will heat up the engine coolant. It would help us analyze your problem if you'd complete your signature so that we'd know some details about your truck.

Rusty

pmtg 04-22-2005 01:45 PM

Re: 2001 cummins running hot

Originally posted by wilddog
my 01 cummins is running hot when I tow up hill. My waste gate has been stuck in the past but I freed it up and it is still doing it. Any suggestions?
hot water temp? or hot EGTs?

Pat

53 willys 04-22-2005 06:15 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
Probably one of the following:

1. Thermostat

2. Thermal fan clutch

3. Dirty radiator (oil mist/dirt between front of radiator and back of intercooler)

If it's an automatic, there's every chance that you're pulling the grade with an unlocked torque converter. If that's the case, the HOT transmission fluid will heat up the engine coolant. It would help us analyze your problem if you'd complete your signature so that we'd know some details about your truck.

Rusty

my 01 was number 3.

J BODY 04-22-2005 06:57 PM

I've removed and cleaned three radiators in the last month for the cores being plugged up externally from the beloved oil catch container that they so cleverly put right in the fan wash. Best to remove the radiator and degrease it.....and relocate that bottle.

dieselho 04-22-2005 09:23 PM

Originally posted by 53 willys
my 01 was number 3.
mine was the same as 53 willys. I thought that it was the # 53 block, but apparentley not:cool: take it to the car wash and don't over do it:o. I changed the serpentine belt, thermostat,coolant, and checked the fan clutch. I had the best results with the radiator being blown out! Oh, I don't know how true this is but i have the "good 53" block. Hopefully you do too! Although i haven't put it through the test of summer heat, I think i have this one licked;)

swimmy 04-22-2005 10:29 PM

I too had radiator cloggage. Had to remove it for cleaning and also relocate the breather bottle. Whole front of the motor was a mess.

Mopar1973man 04-23-2005 08:03 AM

No problem for me anymore... Check out the sig and you can build a good one...