Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Your government at work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 07:15 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Your government at work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR GOVERNMENT AT WORK
Arrest for catching mouse?
California law pushed by animal group requires trapping license

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 29, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A California law requires a trapping license in order to kill mice.

The Animal Protection Institute of Sacramento pushed the bill, which mandates anyone who takes furbearing mammals or non-game animals must purchase a trapping license by passing a complex test and paying a fee of $78.50, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The Fish and Game Code 4005 defines non-game animals as including mice, rats, gophers and moles, the paper noted.

However, Scott Paulsen, chief of law enforcement for the Department of Fish and Game, said the law would not be enforced for personal use.

Nevertheless, he says, the statute is enforced for commercial use.

That means if a citizen hires a gardener or pest control service to set traps at his house, they could face arrest without a permit.

Terry Knight of the Lake County Fish and Wildlife Committee said the DFG did not support the bill but it was promoted by the Animal Protection Institute.

"I can see the headlines now, 'Mice trappers face jail term,' " Knight said. "But if you get the permit, the real problem you're facing is that it takes too many mice to make a fur coat."
Old 11-29-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Your government at work.

Stan, Here's another.
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 Posted: 3:24 PM EST (2024 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the same group of folks that tell us we can no longer call them Manholes.
They should be refered to as Underground Cable Facility Enclosures.
MUCH easier to say :,........really rolls off the tongue huh?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:54 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

I also heard that some of the feminists want to call them 'personhole covers'. Dah! There are many more terms these so called politically correct fools want to change. And have changed already.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:32 AM

This politically correct thing has gotten waaaaaay out hand... It makes me sick.... where's that barfing emoticon?
Old 11-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife just told me about the mouse deal a couple days ago, I thought she was kidding me but she said nope it's for real. Geeezzzz whats this world coming too ???
Old 11-29-2003, 11:49 AM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=10;threadid=23004;start=0#msg215637 date=1070127157]
This politically correct thing has gotten waaaaaay out hand... It makes me sick.... where's that barfing emoticon?
[/quote]

LOL...this one?

Old 11-29-2003, 10:20 PM

let's see how does it go
My great grandfather fights in spanixh American war ( I think that was it)
My grandfather fights in ww 1
My uncles fight in ww11
My father fights in Korea
My mothers brother Killed in Korea
I fight in Vietnam

so now if I kill a Mouse in california I have to have a trappers license. What about during the gerneral hunting season , can I use a rifle,shotgun,handgun or bow. What is the bag limit

I wonder if the men and women (oops not politicly correct), I mean people who signed up for our armed forces know that they are fighting for this so they too can come home to mouse trapping lic. and people covers and all the rest of the. well you get my point so I will shut up and clean the guns.

I wonder maybe a new wildcat calibar how bout a 11-125 ahh thats about right 1/2 a 22-250 better sign off and get some sleep big day ahead Mpuse season opens tomorrow and I've seen a big buck haning out near the pantry.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:08 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas

Not surprised at anything that comes out of that part of the left coast.
I'm not going to get on them too hard for fear of receiving incoming. After all, we did bring you the Bill and Hillary Show. At least we got them out of our state.
It does seem to appear, that a greater percentage of absolute nonsense comes out of California than any other state. Some of the same groups from there got protective rights for a tick at Ft. Chaffee. Tick killing on Ft. Chaffee is prohibited. You are suppose to gently remove any ticks and take them to a central collection point, and from there to the Troop Medical Clinic, where they can be identified. Since the tick is protected, cause it is found only on Ft. Chaffee, if you happen to kill it, you are subject to a $10,000 fine and 90 days in jail.
WAFJ.

shortround out
Old 11-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=23004;start=0#msg215884 date=1070194099]
Not surprised at anything that comes out of that part of the left coast.
I'm not going to get on them too hard for fear of receiving incoming. After all, we did bring you the Bill and Hillary Show. At least we got them out of our state.
It does seem to appear, that a greater percentage of absolute nonsense comes out of California than any other state. Some of the same groups from there got protective rights for a tick at Ft. Chaffee. Tick killing on Ft. Chaffee is prohibited. You are suppose to gently remove any ticks and take them to a central collection point, and from there to the Troop Medical Clinic, where they can be identified. Since the tick is protected, cause it is found only on Ft. Chaffee, if you happen to kill it, you are subject to a $10,000 fine and 90 days in jail.
WAFJ.

shortround out
[/quote]
The first thing I thought of when I read this was " I wonder if the don't ask don't tell rule applies to this"
Old 11-30-2003, 12:46 PM

Hmmmmmm. Most species that get "protected" status are tagged so they can be tracked. How the hell do you tag a tick?
Old 11-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Chapter President

They put a small tatoo under the top part of their right front leg. Really ....they do............check one.

CR
Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Chapter President

I just looked it up in our "Hunting reg's" and yep, the mouse and shrew is listed in there. Rules and regs as followed:

No closed season and the bag limit is unlimited in all units!

I have a hunting/trapping/fishing license, so I guess the two that I "trapped" with the "glue pads" in the garage last night are "legal"! ;D
Anyone know of a good caliber or camo patter to use on these rascals? ???
Old 11-30-2003, 01:52 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=02DSLDOG link=board=10;threadid=23004;start=0#msg216024 date=1070221370]
I just looked it up in our "Hunting reg's" and yep, the mouse and shrew is listed in there. Rules and regs as followed:

No closed season and the bag limit is unlimited in all units!

I have a hunting/trapping/fishing license, so I guess the two that I "trapped" with the "glue pads" in the garage last night are "legal"! ;D
Anyone know of a good caliber or camo patter to use on these rascals? ???

[/quote]
Same here, but you don't need a fur harvester if you hold a small game licence. They limit the amount of bait you can use in each pile, but you can use unlimited bait piles, as long as they are not too close together. No restriction to shooting hours and artificial light is allowed as well as timing devices.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:47 PM

One more idiotic item. Apparently, the ACLU wants to prohibit crosses from Government property. Would someone send them a picture of our National Cemetarys and ask them if they'd like to (or perhaps dare to) start there?

~Dave

Quick Reply: Your government at work.