Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   In the wake of Ike, stop and take a break 9.14.2008 - 9.20.2008 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/wake-ike-stop-take-break-9-14-2008-9-20-2008-a-217121/)

Red3quarter 09-13-2008 11:01 PM

In the wake of Ike, stop and take a break 9.14.2008 - 9.20.2008

I wanna start this off with saying I hope all of you in Texas faired ok in the big storm. I've seen the pics and talk to two of my best friends that live there and they said is looks like a war zone. They live in Houston and they came out fine and not hurt. All of you are in our prayers tonight.

Now to the rest of you, take a break! The coffee, tea, sweet tea and ph00 are all on and ready to go. We have some good flooding going here right now. It's been down pouring allllllll day and allll of yesterday. And it looks like tomorrow is gonna be rain too. But next week should be cool and sunny. Cleaned the garage out today and did some air brake homework for work. Time for another brew.

Totallyrad 09-13-2008 11:09 PM

I'm with ya on that Matt.

Justwannabeme 09-13-2008 11:11 PM

good to know there are still guys like you out there!

be very proud, you are respected young loco man! keep the girl too.

actual date tonight- two movies cause the one was so disturbing.... hot tea and dessert at Denny's on the way home topped it off. I won't say if he got lucky or not though...[laugh]

taking a look at priority jobs and throwing a dart.

I agree, good folks in Texas have my thoughts. wonder how many relocations from Katrina are going through this again....hope they don't shoot the rescuers like they did before...

Mad, I will put some thoughts into action for ya! [coffee]head up, chest out and hug your kiddos!

Heidi off to sit on porch on beautiful night that cannot be taxed

madhat 09-14-2008 08:09 AM

Mornin, DTR... I crashed last night... I think I had some beer induced heat stroke...

Feel good this mornin. Gonna go do some outside work again. It's hot here. Bout to be tired of it...

Good luck, Texas...

cm979 09-14-2008 08:22 AM

Went to bed about 10:30p.m. Just got up, the Cummins is still doing its job. I have 3 2500 watt inverters running the freezers fridges and few lights, has been goin strong for a little over 24hrs. Slept in here last night to hot for me in the house. My generator quit after about 2hrs of run time. Thanks Nothern Star. I have two homes one is north of Angleton Texas and one is south. My north house is fine. The other didn't get off so lightly. The roof its tore to nothing. My 60x80 shop is thrashed. I gained 4 trash cans and misc pieces of trash. My cazebo the hot tub was under has been blown over. Hot tub cover was ripped off and I rode all over the 30 acres nowhere to be found. So all in all, It looked like about 60 to 90,000 in damage my other house has one small tree that didn't make it and that was it. The good thing is all the family is alright and animals to. Sorry its so long I have cabin fever going on.

CIN'S DODGE 09-14-2008 09:09 AM

Morning All

My prayers go out to everyone that was in the path of that storm!

Breakfast time,Eggs,bacon,sausage,gravy,bisquits
Thanks for the coffee,I needed that.
Cin's on another mission this week.

Justwannabeme 09-14-2008 09:33 AM

Best to ya, c99.....strength for the paperwork!

hey CIN- roll girl roll! with LIMITS! we need you healthy, as do your family!

Mad- little salt with that beer to keep the hydration going....good luck with the move and patience for regular marine type work! love, Mom.

JBarko- man, I don't know how you do it with driving the jeep all around the low desert in AZ. high desert in nevada at Virginia city about killed us! you have to back up everywhere because the mountain is too steep to get sideways.....avoided one open mine ancillary hole and that put a stop to riding around. I am taking a wild horse next time......yikes.

hope all DTR's finest are well, Glad Chris R can poke in once in a while.
wonder if Geico went to the Reno air Races...miss him.

Always and trooper back to work, so let's send them something good!
picture of TOP being a bachelor or something.......that oughta get them postin'!
Heidi running for the barn[coffee]

Fronty Owner 09-14-2008 10:17 AM

morning... got a few small limbs down, couple good gusts of wind last night but no damage.

Red3quarter 09-14-2008 10:48 AM

Good morning, still raining here. The weather said we'll have over 9 inches of rain by the time its over tonight. Sump pump is running almost non stop. Gonna probably stay in today since its wet outside.

cm979, good to see that you and your family are ok. That sucks about your house, hopefully it can all be rebuilt of replaced.

mad, try not to over heat.

madhat 09-14-2008 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme (Post 2209373)
Mad- little salt with that beer to keep the hydration going....good luck with the move and patience for regular marine type work! love, Mom.

I think that it was more the fact that we worked from 8-1, then as soon as we got done, I funneled almost a 12 pack in 2 hours... gonna be [duhhh][dummy], ya gotta be tough.

Originally Posted by Blue3quarter (Post 2209440)
mad, try not to over heat.

Doin good today... got a lot done in the yard, bout to go out again... just got done eating some fried tuna cakes... mmmm!!

dssimecek 09-14-2008 01:06 PM

Afternooner all,

NW Houston, partly cloudy and 76 *F.

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers. We got thru IKE with only a few shingles blowed off, one fence panel and some tree limbs. Got power back on late last night, and water back on just before noon. We were lucky.

Talked to PISTOL W this morning. He and his son are fine. We were in NW Houston, and did not get tha damage that some areas got. Some of our nieghbors lost a lot of shingles, had rain come in and take down 2nd and 1st floor celings.

cm979 you got hit hard with the shouth house. Good to know you are OK. Those inverters sound like a good idea.

Lunch laddy is off Mon - Wed as the Cy-Fair schools are closed. Wife will be going in tomorrow. Her office is close by, and still standing.

Had a lot of rain last night and added to the road closures with flooding.
There are flood warnings, watches and all that.

FO, blue3/4 sent you the tail end of IKE. Glad you came out ok.

Breakfast, was bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee. The donuts got away. [laugh]

Have a good un and be safe out there.

Fronty Owner 09-14-2008 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dssimecek (Post 2209600)
Afternooner all,

NW Houston, partly cloudy and 76 *F.

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers. We got thru IKE with only a few shingles blowed off, one fence panel and some tree limbs. Got power back on late last night, and water back on just before noon. We were lucky.

Talked to PISTOL W this morning. He and his son are fine. We were in NW Houston, and did not get tha damage that some areas got. Some of our nieghbors lost a lot of shingles, had rain come in and take down 2nd and 1st floor celings.

cm979 you got hit hard with the shouth house. Good to know you are OK. Those inverters sound like a good idea.

Lunch laddy is off Mon - Wed as the Cy-Fair schools are closed. Wife will be going in tomorrow. Her office is close by, and still standing.

Had a lot of rain last night and added to the road closures with flooding.
There are flood warnings, watches and all that.

FO, blue3/4 sent you the tail end of IKE. Glad you came out ok.

Breakfast, was bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee. The donuts got away. [laugh]

drove around town a bit, there are a couple small trees down, but mostly just limbs and leaves.

PistolWhipt 09-14-2008 03:36 PM

Poking my head in to muster .... all present and accounted for !!

Received no damage from the storm ... got power and plenty of venison to carry us for a few days if need be.

Mrs. Pistol cought the storm all the way up in Missouri ... no power for them now. Definately need to invest in a generator again !!

Y'all hang in there ...s'pecially those who rode the storm out down here.

Cheers,
PISTOL

Red3quarter 09-14-2008 06:29 PM

Just got back from viewing all the flooding in the area. A few of my neighbors houses got it really bad. Alot of the major roads are closed in sections, most of the ones I take to work. The roof took to leaking a little this afternoon in one corner. Prolly gonna call off tomorrow, I'm not much of a roofer but dad is so we'll try and fix it since it's suppose to be nice. I got some good pictures of a neighbors house thats going to be under water by tomorrow. The water is high enough in some spots the fish are swimming over the roads. I'm uplaoding the pics to my photobucket right now, so i'll post them here soon.

Red3quarter 09-14-2008 06:42 PM

Heres the pics...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/100_0085.jpg
The road being flooded over. Its coming from oneside down in to a neighbors yard.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/100_0087.jpg
The water in front of the house, the garage is over ankel deep, the crawl space is all water.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/100_0092.jpg
water coming over the road

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/100_0097.jpg
Fish is swimming throught the lawn and is about to go into the road.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/100_0098.jpg
another road with alot water flowing over it FAST.

I drove by this same place about a half hour after taking the pics and the water was up about another 8 inches on the garage door. This is actually my best friends cousins house, he's in the middle of selling it but not now. Might have to go over there later to help move some stuff for him since he's living in FL now.

Fronty Owner 09-14-2008 07:00 PM

yall be careful with the water.

shortround 09-14-2008 07:01 PM

GREETINGS FROM THE REAL WORLD
I SURVIVED NEW MESSICO, AGAIN

Gus took down most of the sorghum, Ike got the rest. Pig likes sorghum.
Long trip. Took the wife with me in order to maintain my sanity, or what little bit I have left. She enjoyed it. She hasn't been to that part of the country before.
Retirement papers on the way to St. Louis. 120 days left, more or less. Glad it's close. Murphy and Stupid are "Battle Buddies."
Got trees down everywhere. Half a dozen pin oaks about 24" in diameter. Nothing close to the house. A few shingles lifted. Tornados were popping up all over yesterday afternoon. None close, but our "weather station" recorded a couple of wind gusts at 60+. Power went out early, so I said to heck with it and crawled in bed. Power back on around 0600. Some folks down the road might get power back tomorrow.
Garden's about finished. Still got lots of green beans coming off. Picked rest of the peppers yesterday. As soon as it dries enough I'll turn it under and plant peas as a cover crop and deer fattener.
Gotta git and get a uniform ready for tomorrow. 0345 comes early.

Shortroundshortiming out

Fronty Owner 09-14-2008 07:45 PM

I thought you were supposed to leave the OL at home to preserve sanity??

jrs_dodge_diesel 09-14-2008 08:34 PM

What a night. My wife and I just returned from a Charlie Daniels concert. Real good show.

Hope everyone is doing alright. Just put the coffee on for the late night crowd. Enjoy. :)

madhat 09-14-2008 09:19 PM

Welcome back, SR...

Jamie, you drug your poor wife to a concert? Charlie Daniels at that?

Evenin, DTR. Worked in the yard all day, the dang thermometer on the porch said 103 in the shade... then tried to work on my truck... but dang it, they sent me the wrong freakin part! All that work to get my FCA off....

Goin to bed in a few. Runnin in the mornin.

Just rememberin the old days...

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...h_M2U00072.jpg

chaikwa 09-14-2008 09:42 PM

What a weekend! I guess I shouldn't complain seein' as those of you in the south got it a HECK of a lot worse then us. We're pretty much in the same boat, (literally and figuratively!), as 3/4... flooding everywhere. Since Friday we've had just shy of 12 inches of rain according to our gauge. Tornados yesterday, one of which hit a restaurant owned by a good friend of ours not 5 miles from here. They say there was one that landed in the next town over too. We had a few good wind gusts here that knocked down some trees in my woodlot that I was trying to save. Never lost 'lectricity but we lost phone service Friday night and just got it back about an hour ago. That's worser than losin' power... I can make power but not phones! I was havin' DTR withdrawl! Had to go pump the neighbors cellar three times since Friday too as his 2 sump pumps wouldn't keep up with the flow. I think I've seen enough water for a week or two!

Hope ev'ryone else is doin' ok.

I got the 'stuff' set up for mornin'. Just turn it on if I ain't here.

chaikwa.

Redleg 09-14-2008 09:58 PM

I hear ya. I was on 196 heading into St Joe to a wedding when the warnings went out, driving in the crud. Fortunately I was on the back side of the stuff touching down, heard the one confirmed for Paw Paw. Saw a pretty suspicious clowd though. Was suppose to go out on the big lake there with my cousin this morning. Wasn't happening. Did have a J.B. for ya last night though, and probably most everybody else...

Red3quarter 09-14-2008 11:03 PM

Good to see you made it back chaikwa, it's not the same around here without the Janitor. Moral is down when you aren't here to keep us in line. The flooding does suck alot, rain has stopped now but the water is still there. It'll prolly be a few more days before it's back to normal around here. The city of Hammond IN and the Indiana State police are evacutaing people from the Calumet River area because of massive flooding. All the schools are canceled in the area, I decided to call off work to fix the roof, plus all my routes to work are closed at the moment because of flooding. To me its not worth the risk trying to get to work. They can do without the locomo0tive superhero for a day. Goin to bed, gonna be up early. Putting on some coffee,tea,sweet tea and ph00 for the night crew. And if you live in the midwest the life rafts are out to float around in. Maybe i'll go fishing in the naighbors front yard tomorrow afternoon, the blue gill were pretty plentiful this evening.[laugh]

Alwaysworking 09-15-2008 01:04 AM

okay i'll post, been working on paying jobs and my other truck, helping my causin a little on his cummins converstion, sled pulling and NOT brakeing anything (yet)

getting closer on my other truck, need to finish the intake system and it will be ready for modding.

anyway the coffee's still in thee pot since i forgot the shovle to get me some.
when someone brakes some coffee off can you leave me a peice? mybe trooper will make some coffee pucks?

Redleg 09-15-2008 02:00 AM

Hey Scott, better add snorkles to the list of truck projects. Just got done talking to KZoo DPS on some flooded roads there. I have a couple 100lb propane cylinders if you want to make up pontoons for the new splitter....

Justwannabeme 09-15-2008 11:41 AM

where did all the morning people go?

errands done, poking head in here- nice to see Shortround and Pistol post! normalcy returns!

tough winds last night. add hurricanes to my list of storms i do not want to go through. after three days of cleaning up pears and apples for the deer, we have trees and black walnuts to add to the list, driveway looks like it reverted back to nature. tree limbs everywhere.

brought back some bribery- arby's BBQ sandwiches......time to go clean up.

hope all is well for DTRs finest

jrs_dodge_diesel 09-15-2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 2210088)
Welcome back, SR...

Jamie, you drug your poor wife to a concert? Charlie Daniels at that?

Sure did, she enjoyed it too. :cool:

dssimecek 09-15-2008 02:52 PM

Afternooner all,

NW Houston a sunny 79*F
Most of Houston still with out power. It will be a while like 3-4 weeks before all the electrons are finding the wire path to the needed places.

Wife went into work this AM. but no electrons there doing there job. So she was home. Was gone about 15 minutes or so.

Fuel, food water and ice are in short supply.
Grocery stores are mostly closed. Some are open without lights or power, have some bread and can stuff. Most gas stations don't have power. Those that have power, are mostly out of fuel. I have not checked prices localy. Some parts of the country are over $5.00/ gal.

I might go back to work on Thurs
Pistol is polly at work cleaning up. He did OK no power or water loss.

With us all here, we are doing clean up. Also cleaning and orgaize the grage.
Sorry to hear that so may of you got the affects of IKE

Have a good un, and be safe out there

ofcmarc 09-15-2008 04:18 PM

Howdy! Looks like hip waders and puddle boots are in fashion this week in the breakroom. [laugh][guitar][roll] My Dad lives in Houston and he weathered the storm OK but he split once the water and electricty were out and going to stay that way for a while.

Been drizzling here a bit but nothin' like IKE. Heck, A few degrees cooler and it'll be snowing here!:o

Vacation's almost over. Good thing too. I need a break......[laugh] Still got plenty of work to do but the bulk of it is done. I got new digital thermostats , some new weatherstripping and a few doorlocks to play with then bring on winter.[guitar] Only thing left to fix on the truck is the front driveshaft but it is out and on the bench and parts are down at the parts store so that won't take long. I may even get to fixin' that junky old snowmachine in my back yard before long.[coffee]:D

06RAM2500 09-15-2008 05:45 PM

Guess I better take a break while I got the chance.

Got up this morning and helped an ol' rancher winterize a well and swapped out a couple screens for glass. Got back to town and figured since it was such a nice day, I'd vacuum the inside of the truck and clean a big soda stain off the center console, or try to anyway. Got that project down and now I gots a little rehab w/ my puppy!!!

Justwannabeme 09-15-2008 10:22 PM

nightshift on duty

missing the good stuff to keep perky....trooper's hockey pucks were pretty good.

missing out on Tim horton's hot stuff (almond roast mmmm) or DD iced stuff with cream and lasts all day long......guess fresh cider will have to do...ahhh

picked up apples, pears, black walnuts, tree limbs and dumped them in bedding places for the deer. rewarded with 10 point and friends coming to the salad bar.....please stay for hunting season! nice to watch a one horned six point- very thick (four inch?) antler. no wonder they thought of unicorns!

gotta agree with ofcmark- time to get ready for the winter. all the signs tell me unusually cold this year. we are taking a trip North to get a work barge and steel building off the property and bring it home. I will feel better when I get my logs cut up, split, and stacked. we are ahead by twenty cord but I like to get R done.[coffee] paint and polish left to do for the one ton dodge and the little '85 mercedes. wait for a sunny day for that. old habits die hard, I still paint outside.

Good to see all the hard working folks back at it! retired my backside, my calendar is still filling up.....!

Heidi doing paperwork [dummy]

madhat 09-16-2008 03:57 AM

Mornin... coffee and such is on. Couldn't sleep, lots on the brain with the upcoming move, the race next month, stupid FCA bolts that won't come off...

Runnin this mornin.

See ya'll...

chaikwa 09-16-2008 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme (Post 2211315)
... all the signs tell me unusually cold this year.

Yeah, that an' the Farmers Almanac, the National Weather Service and all the meteorologists that have been ranting about what an unusually cold and snowy winter it's gonna be this year! [laugh]

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 2211507)
... lots on the brain with the upcoming move, the move, stupid move and the move...

Are ya movin' Hat? [laugh] Where are you moving TO? Need some help? I got a big truck and a front end loader!

Time to get up people!

Coffee & sweet tea are ready. No phiver, phiver-ph00!

chaikwa.

CIN'S DODGE 09-16-2008 05:36 AM

Mornin

Wow,what a couple of days.Those winds were horrible,we didn't get any rain.We didn't get any damage,but boy did everyone else.Standing outside when things started flying towards the vehicles and the house you start runnin.not fun at all.Peop;es eves started coming off of their homes.Bradford pears snappin river birches and up rootin several weeping willows.

Mornin breakfast has been launched today. Have a goodun.Cin's on a mission again

Redleg 09-16-2008 06:36 AM

Morning, in for a little overtime today.

PistolWhipt 09-16-2008 07:33 AM

Morning all,

Got on the road early this morning to beat any traffic and ended up burning up my extra transit time driving around a wreck. Looked pretty bad ... result of the traffic lights being out and people not honoring the "You go first, then I'll go" rule.

Came in to a report that the ceiling had raised an inch in one of our office buildings. The vacuum of the wind blowing through the building had raised the entire suspended ceiling grid by an inch on one side. Good luck convincing the cubicle crowd that the sky isn't falling !!!

JWBM .... interesting pics. Good to see that Virginia City hasn't tamed down in the 22 years that I been gone !! Looks like you all had fun.

Cheers,
PISTOL

jbjarko 09-16-2008 07:41 AM

Morning. Been busy. Thought Id stop in and show my face...as much as it may hurt your eyes.

Grabbin a cup and I'm going to worky work.

Later

Jb

madhat 09-16-2008 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa (Post 2211519)
Are ya movin' Hat? [laugh] Where are you moving TO? Need some help? I got a big truck and a front end loader!

Just down the road. Gettin evicted from base housing cause I live in a moble home. Loooong story... I could use the help...

Where has Bob been?

Originally Posted by jbjarko (Post 2211582)
Morning. Been busy. Thought Id stop in and show my face...as much as it may hurt your eyes.

Grabbin a cup and I'm going to worky work.

Later

Jb

How are things, buddy? You ain't that bad lookin...

Mornin again. Still won the run this morning. It's sad, as slow as I am.
Waiting for the housing inspector to come by and do a pre inspect.

Justwannabeme 09-16-2008 10:50 AM

good to see smiling faces and no rain!

CHAIKWA: (above comments)
Too busy to watch tv, don't spend money on an almanac either. just watching what grows and how much; fur on the animals and how they are eating like crazy, and my favorite wooly caterpillars (not your machine ones Scotty!) that have no black band at all this year. I am stocking up on hot tea and cocoa; good books and puzzles, hehehehh

MADHAT: Find the good in stuff, makes for better sleep. You have great kids and super woman there! enjoy! ask for help-04CTD will come up if there are brownies...with nuts.....(oh no, here we go again!)

JBark- good to see the handsome face! hope you have female customers...

FiverBob went to Tahoe. CIN- too many missions keep the hands hurting-slow down girl!!!! hope all is well!

REDLEG, hope this overtime pays for some Royal Coachman ties.... folks still comment on the Ice ......thank you again!!! and NO , would not fish with it.

time to get productive,
Heidi gone

dssimecek 09-16-2008 10:53 AM

Mornin' all,

NW Houston, 70 and sunny. Much of Houston still with out power. Wife is working by flashlight and daylight using a POTS phone.

Pistol, I know what you mean about that crash. We about got creamed the other day when a Chebby 2500 blew thru a intersection about 60 MPHwith no working traffic light, Be vigelent out there.

Schools not sure when they will reopen. It depends on power and water.

Gassed up the daughters Chr town and desert, $3.4999/ gal unlead reg. About a 20 min wait. Other stations back up about a mile.

JWBM great pix.

HAT good luck in the move.

To all up north, sorry we didn't drain the water and suck the wind outta IKE.
Looks like some got more rain than we did.