Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Sir, you need new spark plugs in your Cummins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some years ago, I took my car to Sears for an alignment, and they said I needed new shocks. I said OK, and they recomended I pay a little more and buy the ones with the LIFETIME WARRANTY, which I did.
A year later I took it back for another alignment, and they said I needed new shocks, and recomended I get the ones with the lifetime warranty. I said sure go ahead. When I went to pay my bill, I took the warranty with me, and made them delete them from the invoice. That really made my day.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was always under the impression Service writers were seasoned pros that just were burnt out on wrenchin so they put a tie on and went to work. Not so I see. I still am trying to convince the local Toyota dealership that the Misses Toyota truck with the big V6? 3vz something has bucket and shim type valve adjusters. Its a PITA to do cause I think the cams have to be lifted out to change shims, much like most motorcycles with inline engines. They insist the valve clearances are electronically adjusted. Guess I`ll have to go to another state to have it done
Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog

If this happened to me I would have insisted he walk out to my truck and point out were the ignition system was. I would have been irate too. He would have got an education on diesels real quick.

same here i would have been irate and i too would have gave a lesson in diesel real quick
Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 PM

I love to get a hold of people like that! A diesel education coming from a "girl" hurts much worst.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Originally Posted by apache
I was always under the impression Service writers were seasoned pros that just were burnt out on wrenchin so they put a tie on and went to work. Not so I see. I still am trying to convince the local Toyota dealership that the Misses Toyota truck with the big V6? 3vz something has bucket and shim type valve adjusters. Its a PITA to do cause I think the cams have to be lifted out to change shims, much like most motorcycles with inline engines. They insist the valve clearances are electronically adjusted. Guess I`ll have to go to another state to have it done
Where do they run those wires to adjust the valves??
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by apache
I got a REAL kick out of that story!I`ve worked with service advisors that have absolutely NO clue when i comes to anything mechanical, heck one guy was a bank teller before he started writing (no offense to any bank tellers ). Oh, Apache, I work for Toyota and yes the adjusters are bucket and shim AND they are a PITA to setup, but the cams don`t have to come out. There is a special service tool to depress the top of the valve enough to get the buckets/shims out, but it still stinks . The "electronically adjusted" valves ?! (thats a good one, ha ha), the writer is more than likely refering to the VVT-i system (variable valve timing) wich has NOTHING to do with valve lash....some people
Old 12-02-2005, 08:03 PM

You guys just brightened up my night. I feel like poop and now I have to work all night. Your stories really made me laugh!!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my turn LOL my bosses soninlaw took his diesal into the dealer ship to thave the oil and lube done on it. we went to pick it up and noticed there was oil on the ground underneith the truck we thought nothing of it cause the truck never leaked oil before and figured it was someone elses rig or just a spill. well on the way home we noticed the oil psi was little low we get home and look under the truck and there is oil puking out of the drain plug some one waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over tightend the drag plug striped it and dented the hell out of the oil pan. which is now why i will never take my truck to the dealer i will go the the napa certified shop were i know every one in there drives a diesal and knows whats what.

on a side note if your dealer ship has a quick turn around on service techs and there is always some one new in the shop when you go back for you regular services get out why you still can drive away
Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 PM

HAHA you cant make this stuff up.

I once told a lady drivin a rusty old Jetta with quite a rattle to it that her high speed muffler bearings were gone. She thanked me after I told her a good place would be to take it. I was gonna tell her it looked like she still had "winter air" in her tires but c'mon I gotta draw the line somewhere.
Does this make me a bad person?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 PM

I once told a lady drivin a rusty old Jetta with quite a rattle to it that her high speed muffler bearings were gone.
Ya know I was just thinkin about this the other day. You know how some states consider a turbo a muffler and turbos have bearings so there is such a thing as muffler bearings... Kind of...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 AM

Heck I learned today that Cummins now makes a air compressor muffler for the discharge line, tech told me it was leaking at this box , went to look at it and it had a Cummins part number on it , had to call the factory and sure enough Ford ask for them in new ISB ford trucks. so we call it the Air Muffler
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 AM

3 Wal-Mart lube horror stories

1.my sister's bf took his car to walmart to get an oil change ( ) and the book said to put in 4 quarts, anyways when he went to pay they told him they put 4 quarts in but there was nothing on the dipstick so they had him sign a waiver should his car mess up. and the idiot did it!

when i was younger and (more) ignorant my girlfriend and i took her car to "the mart". we start to drive off and a little while later i notice we havent shifted yet. i look at the tach and neither it or the speedometer are working. so we pull a 180 and im just a little ticked-off.
to the lube and tune manager "could you tell me why the car wont shift and the tach and speedometer wont work?"
his reply "sir you're gonna have to take it to a mechanic"
"BS!!! YOU just changed my oit 5 minutes ago and they all worked when i brought it here"
"oh, ok ill get some one to take a look"
so anyways this moron walks over hops in the driver seat, i get in the passenger side. he cranks it up.
"what do u mean its broke? it just cranked"
"Look at the tach."
after about 15 seconds of him looking around the gauge cluster he says "oh"
then we go for a drive. were going about 30 and still havent shifted
"dude, you need to slow down. i dont think walmart wants to buy me a new engine"
so we turn around head back to the shop and pass it up going towards the front parking lot.
"uh, i think we driven it enough to determine its broke."
"oh ok your right"
we take it back to the garage and the talks to the guy who was underneath the car. turns out he forgot to plug the speed sensor back in. he had to remove it to remove the filter my girl friend was so glad i didnt yell at or punch anyone!!! (brownie points! )

3. a buddy of a buddy of mine. took his to wal mart. on his way home the engine locked up he got out only to see a stream of fresh oil behind him. THE MORONS DIDNT PUT THE DRAIN PLUG BACK IN!!!!!! he got a new engine

(SORRY SO LONG)
Old 12-03-2005, 09:40 AM

Just thinking about it makes me wonder. I bet he wouldn't believe that I paid extra so I could have a truck that "rattled and whined".....
Old 12-05-2005, 02:36 PM

My uncle took his van into a dealer once to get the oil changed before a short trip. They got there fine but when they were getting ready to leave they noticed oil on the cement. They checked it out and the drain plug had been crossthreaded. He was mad to say the least. I also have friend that is a car salesman and he said that he would never take his vechicle to them to get any work done. It is good to know that even the salesmen don't trust the guys in the guys in the shop.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by converteddzlr
Hmm, I didn't thaink that caps and rotors were even in gassers any more?!
My 2000 Nissan frontier has cap and rotor.

Quick Reply: Sir, you need new spark plugs in your Cummins...