Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Paint sealant? Undercoat? Fabric guard?...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint sealant? Undercoat? Fabric guard?...?

Are any of these things worth the money? I have been told that my black paint/clear coat will keep better with the paint sealant. I have been told to get undercoating, not rustproofing, to cut down on road and stone noise. Fabric protector...well I've got a 3 and a 5 year old and a sometimes clumsy wife (don't tell her I said that). All three done at the dealer would be $625. I've never purchased any of these things before but never planned on keeping a vehicle as long as this baby. Any opinions out there? Is the dealer's product any good or do other companies do a better job? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:32 AM

Re:Paint sealant? Undercoat? Fabric guard?...?

Here's my .02 worth ... take it for what it's worth,<br><br> I don't think the factory undercoating that they offer is worth the price you pay. I have seen several rust-buckets come into the shop that had that stuff. I prefer to spend the money on the 3-M brand in the aerosol cans. You can pick them up at most parts houses and the nice thing is that YOU control where and how thick it gets applied. <br> You can concentrate on the hidden spots of the frame that the guy on the assembly line doesn't. <br><br>I had a guy come in with a weird vibration and his second set of U-joints worn out in 1 year. Come to find out, when they sprayed on the undercoating, they accidently got a big splot on the drive shaft and it was just enough to throw it off balance.<br><br> As for the fabric protector ... you got a choice there too. They also sell that in a can so you can do it as much and as often as you want ... cheaper ?? <br> After cramming my 4 kids and all of their supersized drinks and fries in the truck, I only wish I had gotten the rubber flooring instead of the carpet.<br> (If someone wants to trade their rubber carpet for the grey carpet let me know !!)<br><br> I can't offer any info on the paint sealant. I have a hard enough time just keeping her clean.<br><br>PISTOL
Old 03-05-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had it on the last vehicle and it did nothing for the paint. The fabric protector made it easier to get the coffee stains out, and the carpet did not seem as dirty as my truck's does in less than a year. I'm going to get the truck shampooed then spray on something myself. The fumes should make me feel good.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree fully with PistolWhipt on the undercoating and fabric guard. You can purchase cans for much less and do it yourself. The paint sealant is also a rip-off. There are two secrets to keeping black (or any other color, actually) paint looking good. <br><br>First, there are four steps in good paint care--wash, clean, polish, and wax (protect). Many companies make good products for each of these steps. Washing removes all the loose dust, etc. Cleaning removes all the surface contaminants that are sufficiently bonded that washing won't take them off. Polishing gives you the shine. Wax is to protect the shine that you get from polishing.<br><br>Second, never use a circular motion when you clean, polish, and wax it. Always move in straight lines, preferably oriented in a front to rear fashion. That way, you won't get those nasty looking swirl marks. My truck sits outside, so I try to use a cleaner on it at least twice a year, polish three or four times a year, and wax at least every couple of months except in winter.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:31 PM

Thanks to all for your input.