Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Osteoarthritis

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Osteoarthritis

So,

I'm 50 this spring, and dealing with pain is something that almost seems normal to me. I'm not a fan of taking any pills, so being male, I just have been toughing it out, until recently.

I can't sleep well anymore, and finally caved into seeing a surgeon, thinking the MRI I had last year said "rotator cuff tear", when in actuality it said. hey dumbarse, you have arthritis. I have tears as well, and I was reading it somewhat correct, but my real pain issue is damage in the shoulder joint has caused arthritis to form, preventing full motion, and pain.

So, I get into the surgeons office, and he tells me the news. Hits me like a sledge hammer. Not sure why, as I've been here nearly half a century. I guess mentally, I'm always going to be that 15 year old kid that doesn't get any older.

The surgeon says....

"well, I can do a partial or full replacement of your shoulder joint." .

WHAT ???

"yes, I said partial or full replacement. Recovery time is 4 months, and you'll feel tons of pain during it, but you should get some motion back".

I asked him percentages of success, failure rates and such, and he wouldn't say anything other than "you could see some improvement".

Well that's a bunch of crap. "some improvement???" you do a $80,000 surgery on someone, and there's "some improvement ".

My other options were cortisone shots or taking advil. Either way, eventually, he said I will have to do something, as most likely, I won't be able to lift my arm at all at some point.

SO, as of right now, besides feeling like I'm getting old and decrepit, I am looking for alternatives. Someone mentioned deep tissue massage, stretching and some sort of rehab. Someone else mentioned having a chinese dude stick a bunch of pins in me, as he said it helped him (acupuncture). Another said to just take the pills.

I'm not now, nor have I ever been a pill taker, but I will admit taking that one liquid-gel advil last night helped me sleep a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails Osteoarthritis-0928161610a.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Find a Maximized Living chiropractor, go see him, and follow his every word of advice for 3 months. (much on everything, diet attitude, exercise, adjustments, etc.) It's almost like joining a church or cult, but well worth it.

It'll cost a couple grand at the most, and you are likely to be totally amazed at the difference.

On Chiropractic, I had an injured/frozen shoulder about 10 years ago and got advice similar to yours. It took a chiropractor a year and about 1200 bucks to give me 90%. It'll bug me a little now if I get after the Bass for 6 hours or so.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Find a Maximized Living chiropractor, go see him, and follow his every word of advice for 3 months. (much on everything, diet attitude, exercise, adjustments, etc.) It's almost like joining a church or cult, but well worth it.

It'll cost a couple grand at the most, and you are likely to be totally amazed at the difference.

On Chiropractic, I had an injured/frozen shoulder about 10 years ago and got advice similar to yours. It took a chiropractor a year and about 1200 bucks to give me 90%. It'll bug me a little now if I get after the Bass for 6 hours or so.
I have a chiro now. He's a bit old school, so I can't imagine he'll tell me to go elsewhere. There is one here in NJ, but I'll have to head up north a bit.

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it a bit. Meanwhile, back to the gym to see if I can mess myself up a bit more.