Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Map software?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map software?

My dad is going on a trip soon , and I am letting him take my laptop with him , and we are looking at getting some sort of map software, so when he wants to find his way from one area to another , he can open up the laptop and look at the map , instead of carrying paper ones , or going online.

Does this type of software exist?

He will be in the london Ontario Area if that makes a difference , but i would like to use it later for mostly all of north america.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DeLorme..and you can buy the 20 dollar GPS to go alogn with it
Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 PM

http://www.undertowsoftware.com/Products.htm
Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 PM

I use DeLorme street atlas 6 and I like it a lot, easy to use, I have also used M/S streets and trips and prefer the DeLormes. After you install the software you can use the extractor to pull what you want from the run disc so you don't need to carry that around
Old 02-11-2006, 12:39 AM

I use ALK technoligy's "laptop 9". Earler versions were called "Co-pilot" It works well, for me. It has the US, Canada and Mexico. It can run off the CD or be installed on the HD. It has different views of the route 3-D, next turn and some others. Lets you put in prefferences. Has a RV mode, that keeps way from tight turns and narrow streets. Also shows bridges in interstates lower that 13'6" and propane restricted tunnels and can set a speed warning. If a turn is missed, it recalulates the route.
But always look at a map. Computers use algrorithems, not common sense.
There are a lot of programs, out there. Look at them on the web for the featurs you want to use.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For planning trips, Streets & Trips is the best. Once you learn to use it properly, it will plan a pretty good trip and be very accurate on times and fuel costs. For using a gps, Delorme is the best, but the new Streets & Trips 2006 is vastly improved for gps and not far behind.

I use a program called Serial Splitter with both mapping progams running at the same time off one gps. Get the best of both worlds that way.

iker42, where do you find a $20 gps?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:59 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Rand-McNally 2006 Truckers Atlas on CD available from their website..
Old 02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
JKM

I like that delormes setup , with the GPS to hook to my laptop , but be darned if i can find one for canada, all the ones i see are USE atlas versions, will it cover canada at all?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Microsoft sells MapPoint which is really nice and has a huge database of points of interest. It's GPS ready also. I have an older copy of Delorme Topo USA which is 3D capable with a GPS hookup also. The MapPoint takes less disk space is faster and generally easier to use but the newer Delorme stuff may be much better.

I used the MapPoint when I bought my truck and drove it back from Livingston, TX. With the GPS it worked fine and I never had any doubt about where I was even in a driving rainstorm at night.

You'll really like it.

Edwin
Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 PM

Map Point = Streets & Trips + the ability import and export data and have plugins. One plugin I've used is here. http://www.techgt.com/AGPS/main.asp
Old 02-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
Map Point = Streets & Trips + the ability import and export data and have plugins. One plugin I've used is here. http://www.techgt.com/AGPS/main.asp
I used Mappoint with AGPS to pick up both my trucks. I love the software (i can borrow it for free from work).

brandon.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:40 AM

Another vote for DeLorme Here. I use it extensively. Hook up a hand held GPS unit or get their little yellow unit and you will be all set to go.

Good Luck

Hondo
Old 02-12-2006, 10:00 AM

You can get M/S Streets and Trips with a GPS hookup for your laptop. It is easy to install and use. It cost around $90 - $100 to get it to my door (bought it on ebay) although if you shopped around a little bit I am sure you could get it cheaper. It also calculates expenses and sets up reminders for fuel, motels, etc...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 AM
JKM

Ok , i have narrowed it down to mappoint , and delormes , i want to add the GPS to it , but i need to know if either of these has any/good coverage for Canada, because that is where it is going to be used.

will the delormes GPS unit work with mappoint?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
Ok , i have narrowed it down to mappoint , and delormes , i want to add the GPS to it , but i need to know if either of these has any/good coverage for Canada, because that is where it is going to be used.

will the delormes GPS unit work with mappoint?
MapPoint North America 2004 has excellent coverage for Canada and Mexico as well as USA. I don't know about Delorme since the version I have is several years old and I don't have it installed currently. The Delorme Topo USA I have comes on 6 or 7 CD's and gives you lots of 3d data like a topo map on steroids. MapPoint is mainly for 2D navigation so only requires 2 CD's. If you're prospecting for gold get Delorme if you're trying to find you way home from the hockey rink then get MapPoint.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Map software?