Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Iphone Help/sync old phone/new

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iphone Help/sync old phone/new

Bad day got worse yesterday as I managed to run over a 5 week old iphone yesterday morning in the dodge...long story will tell later i promise...

To this point now I got another phone about an hour ago from the apple store, however none of my numbers could get transfered. So no names, no numbers, no emails ect. Only hope they said was if it was sync/saved on itunes. Ive had itunes for a few years from having an Ipod. I tryed a couple of times to get songs from itunes on my iphone but it wanted to put my iphone/itunes purchased songs onto my computer which I hope it did now. Im not sure if it ever did but i have used the computer cable to charge up my phone and have seen sync in progress on the iphone screen.

Basicaly the guy said that if my phone was synced with itunes when I plug in this new phone it will either say "restore" or "set up as new phone". Well i pluged it in and the "regester your new phone screen/set up itunes account" came on....I alreaddy have an itunes account

I could type 5 pages trying to explain all this but prob get more people confused.....anybody done this before???????

Anybody got an extra 5 min i could pm u my house phone number or pm me yours and try to walk me though this????
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the Simm card in your old phone did not get destroyed, an Att store may be able to transfer your numbers to the new phone. When I got my Iphone at the Apple store, they could not switch my old numbers from my Motorola Razor. I walked down to the other end of the mall and the Att guys got it done in a couple of minutes. Might try it if the old phone is not crushed into dust!. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by RTillery
If the Simm card in your old phone did not get destroyed, an Att store may be able to transfer your numbers to the new phone. When I got my Iphone at the Apple store, they could not switch my old numbers from my Motorola Razor. I walked down to the other end of the mall and the Att guys got it done in a couple of minutes. Might try it if the old phone is not crushed into dust!. Good luck.
I will give the otter box/iphone credit though, I ran over it with the front tire on my 3/4ton truck on pavement and didn't put a scratch on it just internaly broke the screen, small little black waves. After all that I would of thought I would of had to get a broom and dust pan but the only damage was about a 1/64" little nick out the back of the ring around the apple logo on the otter box.

The sims card out my old phone is in this new one. They told me that none of the numbers were stored on the sims card but in the hardrive in the iphone.

They told me my only hope was that if I had synced the iphone to itunes I could retrieve my contacts off itunes. Im not positive one way or another if my iphone has be sucessfully synced to itunes or not???
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by RTillery
One of the "apple team members in his blue T-shirt" asked me if I had synced my iphone to itunes to save all my numbers b/c after an incodent a few months ago they wouldn't do it anymore. That got me worried then.....this was while I was waiting to see the "genius" center people.....

Lets back track to yesterday when I ran over my phone and went to the att store 20mins away. I was just going to buy the cheapest "regular old flip phone" since an iphone is $500 out of pocket through att there cool but not that cool. They told me $200 was the cheapest phone I could get but if I went down to the apple store they would either warrnety it or exchange it for $200 gave me directions said just go down there they will help. Cool enough can't complain about that really.

The apple store is in the yuppiest mall 45mins away crazy traffic getting there. Get there 6:45 and they stay open till 9pm. There are seriously a dozen "apple team members" all in there blue shirts with a name tag like an iphone walking around. One tated up dred locked girl pants wearing fruit cake walks up and ask what ya need. I said i need to see about getting my phone fixed/or a replacement. They messed around for a few minutes and said that I needed an apointment and they didn't have anymore tonight. I was like *** I need an apointment to talk to someone about a cell phone and theres 12 people standing around and you cant help me. I tried to explain that I lived 45min away and that this was my business phone and I needed it for work. Nope I gotta have an apointment....by then I didn't even care if they warrentied my phone I just wanted to get the heck out didn't want to come back/be without a phone another day asked if he could sell me a replacement, na you got to talk to the genius center for that. I asked what his job was... customer assistance... I said well your not being of much assistance, *** is your job requirement breathing and puting that t shirt on not inside out and walked out, wasn't worth getting security called over.

So 2days without a phone, 3 trips to 2 stores prob 6hrs and counting dealing with this and still not right.

If I owned a company that had 15 people on the clock and 13 of them pointed to 2 and said ask them how long would I last before I was bankrupt??
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM

I love Apple computers, but thier stores can be a bit snobby.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
I love Apple computers, but thier stores can be a bit snobby.
I like the iphone, its 110% my fault mine broke in fact I can't believe it held up as good as it did to atleast over 2k pounds rolling over it. What just makes me soo mad that I don't really even know how to put in words is the lack of "customer service" i have experienced. If you work at AT&T and sell apple products and deal with them and the local stores why don't you know that u have to make an apointment for them to even "look at your phone". Kinda like a Cummins deals should know there are 6 valve cover gaskets on a 12v and not sell you a "complete kit with 5". or..... the apple guy hey since were out of apointments why don't you make sure and try to sync your phone to your computer so you have all your contacts, when you come back... how am i suposed to know????? The way I see it their a computer company/phone maker....you can design a contraption as complicated as an iphone but you can't get my contact list off the dang phone....okay

So far in the 5 weeks ive had this phone ive had nothing but problems with at&t and now apple's customer service. I spent almost 3hrs getting the phone when I got it back on Dec 7 09 my number got lost in "portal land" and my 1st bill had a charge for 2 numbers to my name. Made the mistake of going to a different store b/c store #1 said they were a "corprate" store and could help with the bundle service packages.....the only help I got from 7 store employee's was a chair in the corner with a pay phone looking thing conected to the 1800 number....spent over 30min with them getting put on hold or sent to this department only to be sent back to the one I just came from. Customer service is simply go see department xxxxxx that the one you need.....just to have them say no see xxxxxxxxxx round and round ya go
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
register the new phone, once that is complete it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone, or restore it as your old phone

when you register the new one, it will ask you for your itunes id (you wont have to set up a new account)

then it should ask you to set up the phone (as either a new phone, or restore to your old settings) and if you did indeed sync the old phone then it will be a carbon copy of it.

if not, then you will have to put all the contacts back into it (easier to do on the puter than the phone)

Just make sure you sync the new one every couple of days, or weekly, incase something like this happens again