Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

how would you sell 150 year old lumber from house, still standing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
A little closer and I'd probably take some of the wood flooring. That's probably long leaf pine flooring and real 2x4s. Wood pre-1940s is very dense and some of the best. I'll take any of the hinges, door ***** or hardware off your hands. I'm remodeling our 1930s home and trying to keep the existing look of things. Old stuff is cool! Most likely, if you're wanting to sell the wood you're going to have to remove it all and have it readily avail for someone to pickup. FYI-I saw a CL add for longleaf pine $12/bdft
i wish i had time to go mess with it.
he's a friend of a friend, but like family to us. health failing a bit now.

if some of you guys are woodworkers, post it out on some forums,and put "NC" in the title.

i really hate to see it go to waste, but burning it would solve his desires.

be heart sore to see that big tree burnt, it is pretty.

the round things are burners in the tobacco drying barn.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Put an add on Craigslist. Make the person picking it up sign a waiver releasing you and everyone form any harm.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't burn it if he is planning to farm there...

There are a million flat tires just waiting for you.

I would put an ad in a few places. find out what is expected, and what people want. I would also look around to see what is being offered that is similar.

I have a 100 year old barn, and was told some of the 1 1/2" x 20" x 18' boards could be worth a fortune. I would have to take them down, and sell them individually, but 35 - 40k in lumber would make a trip to Denver, SLC, or some other place well worth it. Think custom furniture, and cabinetry. Tight grained, wide, long boards of that quality are very rare these days and can be sold at a premium.

I would not let the buyers see them in place though. That cabin could be broken down in a weekend, separated by grade and condition, and sold in bunks to buyers. you are actually in a good area to find custom lumber buyers. You may just have to dig a little to find them and see what the going wholesale rate is. Decide from there what your plan is.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
I didn't say antique....

You probably wouldn't be able to sell it all for peanuts...
Some of our heads are solid wood too...worth a few bucks....Tight grain but probably too many knots. Especially My older Twin Top's'. That thing could...ooops nevermind.
Its petrified...more like Granite.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what I did with a similar house. The house was my grandmothers and after she pasted away we decided that it would take way more money than we had to make a nice guest house out of it.
I placed an add on Craig’s list and said upfront that the house was free but to be torn down or moved and that I would draw up a simple contract stating that the ground should be left in a “broom clean condition “in that contract I had a date that the house was to be gone and that I was charging a $500 deposit fully refundable when the job was complete.
I was very glad that I had the deposit in there as the gent that responded to the add did not complete on time and after two months of trying to get him to complete the job had to hire a crew put the remaining boards and debris in the pit that I had dug so that I could burn it.
The $500 was never even disputed seems that he had no intention of completing the job when he started
Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would do what MADHAT suggested, would make good field training for the local VFD. I had them do that to an old barn of mine.....at first, they didnt want to do it and said no. I then explained to them, they can either do it under a controlled environment, or get a call some night @ 3 AM !

They decided to do a training exercise....lol
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the NC, Sc and VA rural areas there are people that take buildings like that and reclaim all the old wood. I can't remember the name of the company or their location. Ask around a few of the lumber yards and you may get a lead on who and where. There is a real market for these old building materials.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Get 5 gallons of diesel, a few old tires and some matches.

That's framing lumber-probably southern pine- and nothing really big enough to use for stuff other than trim or picture frames.

Burn it down and get the profit from the farming that ensues!