Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do I get a refund?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do I get a refund?

I want my money back on my daughters drivers education class.
We went to the dump and by the store today. She cannot backup. When she tried to reverse at the dump, she stopped about 1/2 way in and attempts to turn around to back up. at this point she misses another truck by a couple feet (ON HER SIDE). When she needs to back up, she insists on turning the wheels as sharp as they will go before moving then getting frustrated because she cant get it.
At the store, there are three parrallel parking spots infront of the store (all empty), she parks over 1/2 way across the parking lot, manages to take up four parking places, then cant seem to get it straight.

what makes this so bad is we were in my nissan frontier... Think how bad it would have been in a real truck.

Thank you for letting me vent...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Although backing up may be easy to you, it is not easy for all. The driver ed teacher should have relized that she need more help backing up and should have made her do more backing up. Backing up is especialy hard for a beginner when they have to worrie about others around them. Maybe put her in an empty parking lot hand have her drive around backwards. In driver ed we were told never to use our miors backing up. Always look out the back window, they will even fail you on your driver test for not looking backward.

I would say that its in your hands now. You need to teach her how you think she should be able to back up. I found when trying to back up it stunk being told how to do it. I just had to try it on my own.

Coop
Old 04-30-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Got to call you on this one.

I raised 3 daughters. They are now 26,27,29. Before they could drive or leave home they had to:

1. Back up a trailer, straight for 300 feet.
2. Light a pilot light, on a water heater & a furnace.
3. Change their own tire.
4. Each month check their own oil, tranny, and wiper fluid, & tire pressure.
5. Change their own oil. (this was optional, but they had to know how to do it.)
6. Know the major parts of the engine compartment.

I am serious as a heart attack. They could NOT date, or drive, or leave home until they knew how to do these things.

Sounds to me like YOU have some edumacating to do.....Dad.

Are you raising a young woman.... or a little girl?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:33 PM

I thought drivers ed was to get the majority of the basics. I realized practice will help fine tune the skills, but come on she can barely back out of the driveway.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Got to call you on this one.

I raised 3 daughters. They are now 26,27,29. Before they could drive or leave home they had to:

1. Back up a trailer, straight for 300 feet.
2. Light a pilot light, on a water heater & a furnace.
3. Change their own tire.
4. Each month check their own oil, tranny, and wiper fluid, & tire pressure.
5. Change their own oil. (this was optional, but they had to know how to do it.)
6. Know the major parts of the engine compartment.
I had a gf who found that a Visa card/cash can do 1-5 pretty easy.... She's 45 now - wanna have a shot with her??

Good luck with #6.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bulabula
I had a gf who found that a Visa card/cash can do 1-5 pretty easy.... She's 45 now - wanna have a shot with her??

Good luck with #6.
If she was my daughter she would still be living at home.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:13 PM

I dont expect much out of her driving, I just think she needs to be able to put a vehicle exactly where she wants it either forward, backwards, or sideways if needed.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just think of that as Phase One of her driver Training.
This is Phase Two.

By the time she completes the second phase, she should be able to parallel park coming in at 50 mph.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just another example of a parent not being involved enough in the education of a child.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 PM

Back when I took drivers education about 15 years ago. My drivers ed school didn't do much with reverse training at all. But on the flip side they said most likely the first accident you will have will be backing up. Teaching to back up useing mirrors is the best way in my opinion, My drivers edu taught the turn around and look out the back window, but in the police academy we focused on useing mirrors which is a much better way. But I do agree most drivers education places do no focus much on backing up. I think your just going to have to work with her and tell her your not going to turn her lose on the road till you are comfortable with her driving, you will be amazed how much she will listen and improve.

(2 cents)
Old 04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
DMH

Now I realize that y'all are talking about cars and pickups here, but try backing up a semi-truck without using the mirrors. Scary.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:03 PM

Its not so much Im not involved in trying to teach her to drive. Its more of a trial of patients and Im loosing.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:18 PM
JKM

I remember going to driver training, i drove myself to it , in the tractor , because i was ploughing the field next door to the building. It was more like driver taxi service for me , i already knew how to drive, i have been driving stuff around the farm since i could reach the pedals.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 PM

I never took drivers ed, so Im not sure what is supposed to be taught. I would have thought for $150 for a one day class, they could cover how to go backwards. She does alright forward, but when its time to go backwards, she is at a complete loss and will not listen to what Im saying.
Perhaps its time to bring a dozen drums out to the local industrial park and let her put some dents in something....
Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 PM

I used 55 gallon drums. Works great and no damage to the cars.

Next you can work on changing the oil and lighting pilot lights!

Quick Reply: How do I get a refund?