Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gas Dryer Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Dryer Help

Hey guys, I got a gas dryer from a friend that he said worked but I am not familiar with gas dryers. Maybe someone can help me. Heres what I have done and the problem. I Hooked the vent up and hooked up the gas line. I turned the gas on and losened the fitting to bleed the gas and then tightened it again after a few seconds. Then I put soapy water on all the fittings and got no bubbles so I don't think there any leaks but anyway here is what happens. I turn the dial to a time setting and press the start button and it just buzzes. I can hold it and it just makes this little buzzing noise and smells funny maybe like its trying to fire but the tumbler does not spin and once I let the button got it stops buzzing and does nothing. If i hold the button for too long I think it trips a relay and then I wait a few minutes and can do it again. I have no idea what is wrong. How would I know if the heating element is working? Are there two fuses in the back, one for the tumbler and one for the heating element? I tried spinning the tumbler and it spins kind of hard one way and a little easier the other way. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 PM

Hmmm, after plumbing it in and plugging it in, its not exactly rocket science - set the timer and push the start button. Drum starts spinning and heat should start developing quickly. You don't have a heating element in it, at least not like an electric dryer (thats what the gas is for).

I'm thinking that your bud got the better end of the deal - someone to remove the anchor for free.

I guess the good thing is that I've never had to work on Kenmore's. Maybe a call to Mr. Maytag? Its probably the control unit, and there are websites that cater to these kinds of questions (learned that from an x-gf).

Smells funny? Like somethings burning?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:30 PM

Sounds like the motor or the drive unit is frozen/locked-up. I similar situation were everything worked but no heat. Replaced the ignitor, still no heat, made a couple phone calls told it probably need the heating element but needed to come out and diagnose. So ignitor was $12.00, only out $12.00 as too were the service call was $50.00 to diag., plus parts and labor, heating element was $120.00 + labor. Took a quick trip to Best Buy, came home a 1 hour later with a NEW Maytag dryer for $150.00 with a 4 year warrantee. My recommendation would be look at buying a new one. Cost wise and long term its a better decision. Just my $.02
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 PM

I have never had a gas dryer but make sure it is not for propane if you are using natural gas or vice-versa.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
Probably a broken wire to the motor or a bad switch. Maybe the belt is broken. If the drum don't spin then it won't stay running. Fix the drum problem then go from there.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
That buzz sounds like the motor is trying to turn but it can't. The motor may be siezed or the drum could be siezed. I would check there. Does not sound like a gas problem at all.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 AM

We've had gas dryers for the past 17 years. We bought our first one second-hand while we were stationed in Italy from a family getting ready to come back. It ran on propane (a bottle sitting in the bathroom near the dryer) and when we returned to the States four years later, we brought it with us, didn't change any jets, just hooked it up and it worked fine. Paid maybe $50 for it and used it for at least 15 years. I think I had to replace the belt on it once. And clean or replace the ignitor. (The look on wifey's face when she walks into the laundry room and sees her dryer in several pieces is priceless.)

DW
Old 12-28-2004, 03:25 PM

The buzzing could be the ignitor. Prolly ain't gonna fire until you get that drum spinning.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:55 PM

Well I went to the firehouse last night and talked with the guys and they told me how to take it apart. So I took it apart and come to find out the gas would fire but the drum wouldn't spin so what I was smelling was a combination of the burnt gas and the motor that turns the drum. So it kicked off because it wasnt sucking the hot air out which tripped the relay. The whole reason the drum wasnt spinning was because it had sat for a long time and the belt rusted right to the motor pully so I got that loose, cleaned it up and put it back together and it works like a dream. Thanks guys, I can always count on DTR!