Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

France is on fire!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mother is 100% Mexican. Ahe was raised here but her parents were Mexicans. She doesen't know any Spanish, her mom says it was ecause they lived in America, why would teah the kids Spanish, they lived here, so they tought them English...

Makes sensr to me.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
My mother is 100% Mexican. Ahe was raised here but her parents were Mexicans. She doesen't know any Spanish, her mom says it was ecause they lived in America, why would teah the kids Spanish, they lived here, so they tought them English...

Makes sensr to me.
That is a great point! We all came from somewhere else (excluding American Indians) and our families all have to learn English. It was the way to assimilate into the new society. To ahve towns and cities where the only language spoken is Spanish is a step backwards into a segrigated society.

English MUST become our national language.

Secure borders, English as our language, Homogenious culture = Happy USA.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Better idea is to change the tax laws! I love it when a foriegner comes here and opens a store such as 7-11. Runs it for 6 or 7 years then sells it to another relative so they can keep from paying taxes on it. My other favorite is the translator at the DMV. What are they going to do when they get pulled over?
English isnt that hard of a language to learn. Try learning some of the asian languages where tone of voice comes into play. Just imagine the word "the" meaning 6 seperate things based on different tones of voice. Thats how Thai works. Just learning a basic phrase without insulting someone is a about impossible. Many of the girls that worked in the bars taught themselves basic french, german, and english. Money is such a great motivator!
I absolutley refuse to learn spanish. I cant even tell you whats on a mexican restaurants menu other than a burrito or taco. I guess I am ignorant.
Pistol whipt is in a unique position. Being stationed in germany he is the outsider who is only there temorarily. Yes it is helpful to be able to speak the language but It is not like you are intending to stay there for the rest of your life. A few key phrases is usually enough to get ya by around a tourist trap or military base. If I spoke every language the military has exposed me to I would know atleast 7 from the middle east, Korean, Thai, and what ever they call the national language of Kenya. Not to mention Tagalic (sp), the unofficial language of the US Navy supply department!
When you travel you do your best to fit in. When you move to a foriegn country you are expected to learn the language. If you want to speak in the tongue of the old country thats fine. Just do it at home. My wifes grandmother is German. She moved here after marrying a guy in the army. German is her first language. She speaks it on the phone, around the neighborhood (german community), and the bakery. Yet even in the house everything is in english. Not that difficult of a concept.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:46 AM

$10 says that the French surrender to the rioters by years end! Any takers??????
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM

thats a sucker bet
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I gotta tell ya something...
I flew out to Quebec to look at a car. [70 Plymouth Superbird]
I had to fly into Montreal. I got in around 10 PM. I go to the Holiday Inn by the airport and wait in line to get a room. When I get to the counter I ask for a room. The lady looks past me and in french she asks the guy behind me if he speaks french. [you see, it was mandatory for me to learn french in school so I knew what she was saying.] I was rusty but I figured it out.
As quickly as I could I dug up words to tell her I am not fluent in French but I do understand what she said. She looks at me, smiles and in english says...Sorry I do not understand you. Canada is a Bilingual country and I tried. She got every bad word I could remember in french and I went across the street to another hotel. I walk in and the guy who is french welcomes me and says..."Oh you have come from over there. I am sorry and I know what you just encountered." He gave me a great deal on a room, advised me on what to watch out for with the cab drivers and made me feel welcome.
First Impressions are hard to break.
I had to take the bus to Sherbrooke. It was a nice trip and when I got there everyone helped translate and I did what I could with my limited amount of french. I found the rural folks disliked the big cities for the same reasons.

It really bothered me to be treated like that in my own country. Just to make sure I am clear...not all the french in Canada are like that.

Scotty
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
...I had to take the bus to Sherbrooke... when I got there everyone helped translate....

Scotty
No wonder everyone was nice to you, they probably saw you pulling the bus.

~Rob
Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hotdram
No wonder everyone was nice to you, they probably saw you pulling the bus.

~Rob
I don't know if I'd be able to speak after seeing that one.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
It really bothered me to be treated like that in my own country. Just to make sure I am clear...not all the french in Canada are like that.

Scotty
That feeling is EXACTLY why a nation must have one national language. You feel like a second class citizen, unable to go to different areas of you own country, and what happens in the end? REVOLUTION! The people who feel oppressed fight back when they have had enough. This is exactly what is happening in France.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM

I had this discussion with somebody about a year ago. France has allowed so many immigrants that the immigrants are now almost the majority and are starting to influence and control elections. France is about to lose it's history and it's culture. Sound familiar? France is an annex of islamic countries... with better food. They better get a handle on it before it's too late.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
JKM

I'm with scotty on the french english thing ... it was mandatory for me to learn french in school , and i did , somewhat , i wouldn't call myself fluent though. A personal (read female) friend of mine speaks english , french , and is minoring in spanish in university , i helped her with some homework last night , and even with the tiny bit of spanish i speak, we were both getting the 3 languages mixed up...

It would not bother me to have everyone know english, it really wouldn't , but i know how hard it is to learn new languages.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by t-7 firefighter
Believe it or not…. I kind of agree with Geico (put that in you signature). I not as concerned with what is happing in France so much as I am more concerned with what is happing in America. Now I don’t agree with someone saying that they love what is happing in France. A lot of people are suffering over there through no fault of their own.

We as a nation are a melting pot. I have an Irish background. My best friend looks like he just stepped off the boat from Spain. I don’t have any of the answers to today’s problems but I agree that we need to do something soon. Closing the borders is not an option. But having a country with multiple languages isn’t an option either. I, like you don’t really like having to choose between English and Spanish every time I call the bank, credit card co., pizza place, or veterinarian. If I am ever lucky enough to go to Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, etc. I will at least take the time to try and learn some key phrases.

So. What is the solution?

And no, I am still Liberal.

Britt

As one Liberal to another, the borders need to be closed. That is not saying no one can come here it is saying let us know your here on your way in so we have the ability to screen our "guests"
And yes, anyone who is going to be a citizen of this country should be required to speak english.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
"If you are not a liberal by the time you are 20 you have no heart, if you are not a conservative by the time you are 30 you have no brain".

Sir Winston Churchill

Sigh - as Conservative as I am.... I've got to buzz the buzzer on this one. Sorry - I'd REALLY like this one to be backed up by better facts, because I think it's true, but....
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/...cfm?pageid=112

Actually I'm thinking of putting that quote on a t-shirt - just not attributing it to Churchill. I wonder how well that'll go over when I go to union-controlled shops... Oh well - my life's been pretty boring lately - guess I need something to spice it up :-)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Being welcomed as a guest is fine by me. Anytime I have come to the border to go into the USA, I am always treated nicely. They ask what is needed, I answer. When all the formalities are done, I either carry on or we talk a bit and then I go.
However, coming back to Canada can be a very different story. Accusations and never believing what you say is common place.
When I was down at May Madness in 2003 I came back with some parts of which I had an invoice from Lary for them. The guy at the border tried to tell me the writing on the invoice was my wifes writing. Yeah right.
When I told him he was way off side on that one...he backed off but then tried to dispute a $70.00 Walmart reciept. Why?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to see anyone hurt but they are getting their come upens. You can ignore hate and hope it goes away.

Quick Reply: France is on fire!