Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Diesel VW

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel VW

My daughter will need a car this summer, (since she wrecked my other one a MB 300SDL) and I was thinking about a Jetta, diesel of course. I saw a few people here who had them. Any advice? Pro? Con? I tought about an 01 or 02, then I read the CR report about them and it is not one of the recommended cars.
Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-19-2006, 06:36 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I did a lot of reading over at www.tdiclub.com before we got our new 06, really answered alot of questions. I wouldn't waste my time reading CR, I don't think they have a clue. Biggest thing with a car from that era is to make sure that if the previous owner can't verify that it has had the timing belt replaced at the requested times that you get it done ASAP. It's hard to beat 50mpg and the reliability of a well constructed diesel
Old 03-19-2006, 07:36 PM

They are great cars, Sure they have their little problems like anything will. Anyone I have talked to that owns one loves it. The timing belt is a big thing with them. Most people just drive it and dont think about changing the belt. tdiclub is a great place to get info, I'd say just as good as DTR.

Coop
Old 03-19-2006, 07:40 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Mainer said, ask some at the fuel pump, more than likely the'll beat your ear about how great it is.

I've run into quite a few TDI owners, haven't met one that isn't satisfied yet.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 PM

I had an 02 and now have an 04. I like the 02 better because you can use regular synthetic oil. The 04s are "pump-duesse" and require dealer only oil @ 7$/litre. Otherwise I do not notice much difference between the years.

The 02 was a manual trans Golf and the 04 is an auto Jetta. I like the Golf functionality better and definitely liked the manual transmission better for longevity and mileage. I like how you can remove the rear "dash" (whatever you call that) on the Golf which allows for larger things to be put in the trunk area with the seats down.

We are getting an honest 38-39 MPG around town with this and 49-50 on the highway at 70mph. You can add maybe 2MPG for manual.

I do not know why VW doesn't advertise this vehicle as I'm sure it is the best mileage of all non-hybrid cars in the USA and this was the selling point for me... and of course that it is diesel too.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 03 5sp wagon. Probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. Quiet, fast, exceptional mpg. The only issues I have had are paint problems, and to me, paint is minor. I had installed a Upsoulte chip, and that is one upgrade I can't recommend highly enough. What a difference! Definately get a manual over a auto.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I suspected that CR was mostly hot air.

Now to find one in good condition....