Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Cigarette smoke smell (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/cigarette-smoke-smell-64465/)

BigBlue 03-24-2005 01:23 PM

My smoking buddy told me that if you cover the interior with fabric softner sheets, they will absorb the order. Had a dude at a dealership tell me the same.

tool 03-24-2005 01:37 PM

The other alternative is to leave a large pork roast under the rear seat for thre to four weeks.

Lo and behold you'll forget all about the cigarette smell. ;)

odie2219 03-24-2005 01:58 PM

This one sounds silly, but it really works. Spead fresh coffee grounds under your seats. The grounds will absorb the smoke smell. Used car dealers have been doing this for years. After a week, vaccuum the grounds up. Besides, if it works for the Columbian drug cartels it will work for you.
Good luck
Odie

Dieseldude4x4 03-24-2005 02:07 PM

Thought about the baking soda route but haven't tried it yet. People tell me you have to disinfect the vents too cause it will build up in there. Thought about a ten to twelve pound catfish for about three weeks this summer. That will make the cigarette smell go away. (PHEW) [laugh] [laugh] :o

spunbearing 03-24-2005 03:26 PM

Rent an ozone generator and close it in the truck with the vent fan running for a few hours.

Haulin_in_Dixie 03-24-2005 04:43 PM

Actually my truck does not smell when in operation. I come home after three days on the road, pull in in the middle of the night, go in and to bed. Go out in the afternoon with the sun on it, windows closed, yep she smells until I do the cleaning and air it out. And no, I don't pick up hitchhikers, bad practice and against my insurance. It is a violation by DOT if I got caught with one.

SoTexRattler 03-24-2005 04:47 PM

When I bought my truck used, the prev owner smoked and his grandkids spilled soft drinks on the carpet. The dealer apparently tried to shampoo it and use Febreze or carpet fresh and it just added to the smell(s). That method never really can get the crap out of the carpet.

Within the month, I unbolted and removed all the seats(pretty easy), unscrewed the plastic trim pieces, and took that big chunk of carpet to the car wash, hung it up vertically (heavy!)and blasted away!... WOW! that got a TON of filth out of the carpet! :o [yuk]
I hung it up over my fence to dry and air out for a couple days...
While doing this, I also discovered the famous funky wet padding problem under the passenger floorboard. :(
I solved the A/C drain dribble-back problem and bought some new padding and put it on that side where it was nasty.
After re-installation, then I used the Febreze to make the CTD think it was still on the showroom floor.;)

Folks, this drastic carpet cleaning made a HUGE, HUGE difference in the cigarette smell!! I can only just tell it was a smokers vehicle when the truck sits sealed up all day on a HOT summer day.

BTW, The hardest thing to do was man-handle that wet carpet at the carwash! Get a strong buddy to help you handle it!

Keith

Tom Bolitho 03-24-2005 05:13 PM

Take a couple of old pillowcases and put a flake of alfalfa in them. Put them under the seats. The smell will disapear in a couple of days.

Dieseldude4x4 03-24-2005 07:59 PM

Does the alfalfa suck up the smell or just over power it?

Haulin_in_Dixie 03-24-2005 08:12 PM

Instead of baking soda, thay make it for rugs and it is not a powder, just little chunks. I know for past experience that it will flat take the oder out of about anything. Just sprinkle it on the carpets and seats, leave it for a while and vacuum it back up, along with the smells.

Tom Bolitho 03-24-2005 08:22 PM

The alfalfa will absorb the smell. I am told by some detailers that it is the only thing to take the smell of a dead body out of a car.

spunbearing 03-24-2005 11:32 PM

I'll ask my uncle Guido about that.[laugh]

Dr. Evil 03-25-2005 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Tom Bolitho
I am told by some detailers that it is the only thing to take the smell of a dead body out of a car.
Oooooo - Now thats a handy piece of advice - I will have to remember that "tip" - ya just never know when you're gonna need that one....:D

Geico266 03-25-2005 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Oooooo - Now thats a handy piece of advice - I will have to remember that "tip" - ya just never know when you're gonna need that one....:D
Doc, sometimes you scare the heck out of me..... :o

Dr. Evil 03-25-2005 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Geico266
Doc, sometimes you scare the heck out of me..... :o
And dont you forget it....;)

I probably dont need access to that kind of info :D