Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Best place to live (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/best-place-live-311938/)

Danderson 05-09-2013 02:54 PM

Loved D St! Darn near a left pt. Some summers peeling down from J st on a south. Do to beach restoration at Moonlight, Boneyard's doesn't break the same as it's covered w/sand. We used to scurry down the cliff @ Grandview way before the parking lot and surf empty waves. Pipes the same way before the park was built.

Mexico trips were cheap. $1.25 six packs of Carta Blanca and fish tacos 10 for a buck in Ensenada. Mostly empty lineups. It's all changed now with half/done resorts.

Glad we got it when it wasn't so mobbed and guys car pooled. Now you see spoiled kids with their BMW's pulling up solo. Daddy's spoiling their kids.

Lary Ellis (Top) 05-09-2013 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that I know Madhat will be bringing his family this way I went ahead and added a second story to handle the larger family needs :)

Fronty Owner 05-09-2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pronstar (Post 3182676)
Since we're on a truck site...make sure you leave your vehicle behind.
The costs to buy and own a car in Singapore are astronomical.

while you could probably get most places in Sing in a dually, it could be a challenge in some places. Most of the highways in Sing are big enough, the side roads and parking lots get tight.

When I was Leirvik, norway, there was a guy around town in a Chevy crewcab dually. Musta been fun fueling up at about 12 NOK / liter for diesel. The roads in Norway made a Mini cooper look like a normal sized car.

cougar 05-11-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3182363)
Montana sucks.

I like it here.....'cept for all the libtards.....

That's why I left in 94. Too many liberal retirees moved in and took over the state. No sales tax (yet), but the property taxes pushed my father off his ranch and out of the Bitter root valley to wind up living in a mobile home outside of Eureka.
Arizona wasn't too bad, if you can stand the heat.
Wyoming was nice, but not enough work to keep me there.
The problem with Alaska is you have greedy little borough tax pockets like The Municipality of Anchorage or the Matanuska-Susitna borough. Anchorage is were most of this states jobs are. The Mat-Su is the bedroom community for Anchorage.

SIXSLUG 05-12-2013 03:28 PM

Yeah, that was my way of being sarcastic. I actually love it there, but know what you mean about the invasion.

My folks are retired there and really, really conservative and fit in pretty well, but I keep telling dad to quit acting like he was born there, the locals can see thru it.

He has commented though, that had the Gov't sent him there in 1969, he would have stayed. He really loves it there.

Sis is in Eureka...

I have heard the same what you are saying about Alaska...too bad

Diesel Dave2 05-12-2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3183242)
Yeah, that was my way of being sarcastic. I actually love it there, but know what you mean about the invasion.

My folks are retired there and really, really conservative and fit in pretty well, but I keep telling dad to quit acting like he was born there, the locals can see thru it.

He has commented though, that had the Gov't sent him there in 1969, he would have stayed. He really loves it there.

Sis is in Eureka...

I have heard the same what you are saying about Alaska...too bad

It's too bad that it takes politicians to destroy a state..Same garbage here...

irish power mad 05-12-2013 06:46 PM

Best place to live?? right here in Ireland. Where the beer is almost cheaper then diesel haha.

Danderson 05-12-2013 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by irish power mad (Post 3183282)
Best place to live?? right here in Ireland. Where the beer is almost cheaper then diesel haha.

Amazing surf occasionally on your coast! We get the videos frequently on Surfline. Those blokes are crazy.[laugh]

SIXSLUG 05-13-2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3182746)
Loved D St! Darn near a left pt. Some summers peeling down from J st on a south. Do to beach restoration at Moonlight, Boneyard's doesn't break the same as it's covered w/sand. We used to scurry down the cliff @ Grandview way before the parking lot and surf empty waves. Pipes the same way before the park was built.

Mexico trips were cheap. $1.25 six packs of Carta Blanca and fish tacos 10 for a buck in Ensenada. Mostly empty lineups. It's all changed now with half/done resorts.

Glad we got it when it wasn't so mobbed and guys car pooled. Now you see spoiled kids with their BMW's pulling up solo. Daddy's spoiling their kids.

That really brought back some great memories. I remember when the jetty lost all its sand during a storm in 82 or 83 and left the beach entirely cobbles, which reduced the touristas. The sand was later recovered by a large dredge about a half mile out and pumped back to the beach. I did some work on the seawalls in Oceanside way back then. 5 am to 2 pm and in the water for the afternoon set. Good times!!

About a year ago I was sitting in a bar here in Bellingham and the barmaid saw my Encinitas Surfshop T-shirt and says, "Hey that's my uncles shop"....small world.

Danderson 05-13-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3183385)
That really brought back some great memories. I remember when the jetty lost all its sand during a storm in 82 or 83 and left the beach entirely cobbles, which reduced the touristas. The sand was later recovered by a large dredge about a half mile out and pumped back to the beach. I did some work on the seawalls in Oceanside way back then. 5 am to 2 pm and in the water for the afternoon set. Good times!!

About a year ago I was sitting in a bar here in Bellingham and the barmaid saw my Encinitas Surfshop T-shirt and says, "Hey that's my uncles shop"....small world.

'82-'83 was the El Nino year of huge surf. It was the demise of K-55 or Campo Lopez as it was known back then. All the sand got sucked out of the break and it went downhill. We'd park my Falcon up on the cliff's edge and surf for hrs. My friend and I hauled his uncle's pos F-250 w/dilapidated 10' cabover down to one of the Sister pts that year and got a right pt spot to ourselves for days. Jammed now like everything.
Water's 66* already and The Hoardes are prepping themselves.
Nice travelling down memory lane with you.
Dave

Rednecktastic 05-13-2013 04:25 PM

I like Houston, that is where I was born and live. Very diverse, lots of things to do and everything is within 45 minutes of downtown in either direction it seems. I live downtown.

You can still get land northeast of town if you are looking for wooded acreage that is decently priced.

If I had to move anywhere else it would be Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississipi, Flordia, or Alabama. Maybe New Mexico or Arizona.

When I sell off my land here I'm probably going to buy a place in Louisiana or East Texas.

Fronty Owner 05-13-2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic (Post 3183416)
I like Houston, that is where I was born and live. Very diverse, lots of things to do and everything is within 45 minutes of downtown in either direction it seems. I live downtown.

You can still get land northeast of town if you are looking for wooded acreage that is decently priced.

If I had to move anywhere else it would be Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississipi, Flordia, or Alabama. Maybe New Mexico or Arizona.

When I sell off my land here I'm probably going to buy a place in Louisiana or East Texas.

When Im in houston, I always get a hotel more downtown than my destination. It's not as good as it used to be, but you can still get around as long as your going the other way from traffic.

Rednecktastic 05-13-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner (Post 3183463)
When Im in houston, I always get a hotel more downtown than my destination. It's not as good as it used to be, but you can still get around as long as your going the other way from traffic.

Very true, that is why I live down here I can generally avoid traffic doing my daily runs. I generally work in the city as well so it is convenient. You'd be surprised how sleepy it is after rush hour and on the weekends.

Even with the high rent compared to a cheaper area the cost in gas and wear and tear, plus time, just not worth living in the burbs for me. Plus I office out of my condo, which is nice because I have a nice fat spread with a good view I can partially write off :cool: .

Areas like The Woodlands are becoming their own independent economies though if you live in that area.

Same thing south and east of downtown, tons of industry south and east of downtown. I lived in Galveston for a few years and I know for a fact the people I hung out with that worked in the refineries and such made more money than I did and I had a degree and a 'good job'. Whenever I meet any of my friends younger siblings from the north east or north complaining about the economy I always mention that to them.
Between here and Louisiana you'll be able to find a decent job and a decent house to buy.

kerry.king 05-14-2013 11:24 AM

I love living in colorado myself. Being on the western slope the libs on the east side don't have too much effect on us. I work in the oil & gas industry, and when we went belly up here I had to go work overseas for a year, then went to williston nd, all the while my family staying in co. Overseas I worked a month on, month off, In ND, I worked 14 days on, 7 off. Did that for 2.5 years and got burned out. Now I'm working 2 weeks on, 2 off in the G.O.M. All the while I've stayed with that Big Red company.
We could have moved around, but we love western Co, mild winters, beautiful summers, close to everything.

BILTIT 05-14-2013 12:27 PM

Canada :)