Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Best place to live (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/best-place-live-311938/)

NJTman 05-07-2013 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram (Post 3182462)
Don't get me wrong I love it hear also I just don't like what the politicians has done to the oil & gas industry and the other freedoms I grew up with.

Well then.... I may as well just stay here.....

NOT ! [nonono]

[laugh]

steelblitzkrieg 05-07-2013 06:02 PM

In a van, down by the river. [laugh]

We decided on Kentucky eventually, but for now we are looking for land in the Sierra's up near Burney/Lassen.

bkrukow 05-07-2013 07:02 PM

I live in NW Iowa. The economy here is in its own little buble. When the resecion hit we still had work. The company I work for did do a layoff but it was the first one in there 35 year history. I work 55 hours a week and during th recesion we dropped to around 40-44. That only lasted abought 6 months till they started hiring and raising our hours back up. Its been said around here in this corner of the state that if oyu dont have a job you dont want one. We are 35 miles from South Dakota and 30 from Minnisota. The only real downfall for this imidiat area is that there is absolutly nothing to do. its as flat a board and just as boring. We have to drive 6 hours to teh Black Hills or farther for other Hilly vacation spots. Sioux Falls SD is a nice metro area abought an hour from here and I swear they grow there own money there. That town has and always has had more money than anywhere Ive ever seen. As far as climate we have cold winters(not Alaska cold but it can regularly drop below 0). The summers can reach 100 but not very often and it hasent for the last couple years. The dakotas are a great place. Western SD has the Black Hills with Rapid City rite on the eastern edge of the hills. They do have prety mild winters out there. They can get lots of snow but then it will melt off and snow more latter. They can get very hot in the summer though. I dont know abought ND other than all the oil feild jobs up there pay good. I do know they have a lot of people that just take there camper up there and live in it threw the summer.

NE frmhnd 05-07-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow (Post 3182509)
They can get very hot in the summer though. I dont know abought ND other than all the oil feild jobs up there pay good.

First time I saw the top side of 105- Lemmon, SD, 108, just a few miles south of the ND border.

torquefan 05-07-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3182324)
In all honesty, being a HUGE RUSH FAN, I've always been fascinated with visiting canada. I was there back in 95 on my honeymoon at niagra. I drove over the bridge, went to the top of the spire or whatever that thing is, looked at the falls, and we drove back. I couldn't believe all of the wild black ferrets there were running all over the place.... until I was told they were actually black squirrels... which don't exist where I live...[laugh]

If you need some black squirrels down there, I will box up a hundred and send em to ya. [laugh]

pronstar 05-08-2013 02:24 AM

Not California
<---- lives in California

I'd move in a heartbeat if I could find work elsewhere.
But in my industry, it's basically LA, New York City or Detroit.

NJTman 05-08-2013 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan (Post 3182538)
If you need some black squirrels down there, I will box up a hundred and send em to ya. [laugh]

Great !

I could start my own colony, and eventually sell them to the local chinese food restaurants here and make a killing in the "it tastes just like chicken" market..

:o

Danderson 05-08-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram (Post 3182462)
Don't get me wrong I love it hear also I just don't like what the politicians has done to the oil & gas industry and the other freedoms I grew up with.

Yeah,I read where you had 46 yrs of Republican rule then...the stuff hit the fan.

Danderson 05-08-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by pronstar (Post 3182547)
Not California
<---- lives in California

I'd move in a heartbeat if I could find work elsewhere.
But in my industry, it's basically LA, New York City or Detroit.

Yep,libcity nowadays here and highest overall taxes in the nation. $164 billion in debt. Mild climate,liberal politics=huge welfare load. Darn shame as it used too be so nice.

SIXSLUG 05-08-2013 10:34 AM

I left San Diego in 1992 and never looked back. Grew up in North County, the best place in the world for a kid to be in the 70's, graduated HS and went to college then off to Washington.

Miss it? Heck yeah! I miss what it was, not what it has become.

Folks retired to Montana and pretty much hang out between here and there now.

BIL was working in Louisiana and says it has the nicest people he has ever met across the South, and he is from Georgia....

irocpractice 05-08-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3182577)
Yep,libcity nowadays here and highest overall taxes in the nation. $164 billion in debt. Mild climate,liberal politics=huge welfare load. Darn shame as it used too be so nice.

A.N.D a moonbeam whose legacy is........1) destroying the delta natural filtration system to provide water to illegals in lala land,(2) a railroad from and to nowhere,(3) his 20 year under construction,Billions of dollars over budget and ready to fail 1/2 new bay Bridge.Gotta love it![redface]But that's not all folks,there's more, Governor Moonbeam Brown's city of residence in now THE NATIONS ROBBERY CAPITOL OF THE US.!:o

Danderson 05-08-2013 02:52 PM

I'm a native and 63 yr resident. My dad was also and blew me away with stories or "how it used to be". It's nice to get away but I'm always glad to return. Unreal weather,a paid off house five minutes from the beach. One hour from the mts. albeit nothing like those in a moisture laden areas and 1.5 hrs from Anza Borrego. I'm a veteran of hundreds of Mexico surfing trips,but due to the mess coming back after 9/11 I don't go down much anymore.
Native San Diegans are quite friendly but recent arrivals..that's another story. North county has changed way more than San Diego. I surfed up there forever,but crowds drove me to Baja.
Anyway,it's a nice home base but being way down in the corner here it's a long way to Yellowstone.

Fronty Owner 05-08-2013 09:21 PM

depending on what your looking for.

I like Oklahoma...I got a buddy that swears Houston is the best place to live. I got another buddy that works in FSU, has about an acre lot in malaysia, visits friends and family for a couple weeks every year.

If you got the money, Stavanger is lovely this time of year.
Singapore is nice any time of the year. nice well manicured city, low crime rate, good food, friendly people. Batam is a 40 minute ferry ride.

pronstar 05-08-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner (Post 3182665)
Singapore is nice any time of the year. nice well manicured city, low crime rate, good food, friendly people.

Since we're on a truck site...make sure you leave your vehicle behind.
The costs to buy and own a car in Singapore are astronomical.

SIXSLUG 05-09-2013 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3182631)
I'm a native and 63 yr resident. My dad was also and blew me away with stories or "how it used to be". It's nice to get away but I'm always glad to return. Unreal weather,a paid off house five minutes from the beach. One hour from the mts. albeit nothing like those in a moisture laden areas and 1.5 hrs from Anza Borrego. I'm a veteran of hundreds of Mexico surfing trips,but due to the mess coming back after 9/11 I don't go down much anymore.
Native San Diegans are quite friendly but recent arrivals..that's another story. North county has changed way more than San Diego. I surfed up there forever,but crowds drove me to Baja.
Anyway,it's a nice home base but being way down in the corner here it's a long way to Yellowstone.

I hear ya there! really miss the high desert and beaches. Mostly surfed at D St. and Swami's. Warmwater was a good break to when the Santa Ana picked up...miss that.

Mexico trips were fun and sooo cheap back then!

Catch one for me next time you are out![guitar]