Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Audio question I can't even find the answer to...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audio question I can't even find the answer to...

As seen in my other thread, I'm wanting to do some audio upgrades to my Rhino 700. But I'm being picky...

First, I want to be able to use the MP3 player and ditch the radio idea altogether. Many companies are making soundbars that are amplified but w/o radio.

Second, I want to add a sub and ported box in the bed of the Rhino to give me the low end I always want.

But theres my problem...How can i wire an extra amp in to power my sub w/o a radio??? The sub needs 100 watts minimum.

I know an alternative could be to get an unpowered soundbar, buy a single amp to power it all, but it would be hard to find the right amp and even then my sub is a dual 2ohm.

Any ideas???

Am I being to complicated and should I just get the tractor tunes w/ radio so I can run my remote from there???

Ideas fellas??
Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Rip,

Id try something like this.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3840/AVA1...fer-Output.htm
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 AM

I see its a preamp, but no power ratings...but I think it'd work perfectly. Now I have to see if my new idea will cost less than the easy route...
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run a single amp with a crossover for the sub, splitting signal to the speakers, done.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys...I'm still pondering the cheapest way to do things.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM

If the amp your gonna push the sub with had full range preamp outputs there you go. MP3 directly to amp, preamp back to soundbar.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Well this is the amp that I want to use, mainly because its sitting along with the sub. It put out 130 watts to the sub and with the ported box really sounded like it was pushing 300+ watts.

Heres my dilemma, if I go the route w/o stereo then I need to find speaker pods for above mounting. The only ones I could find are 80 bucks EACH. 2 of those, the right amp, speakers of my choice (Mb Quart Marines 65 bucks) and mp3 adapter and it could work. Do you think I could make this work for 400 bucks or less?

Or I get the Tractor Tunes, which is ipod/mp3 ready, nice Pioneer deck, 2 marine Magnadyne Aquavibes, and nice compact housing for 400 bucks and then have the preouts on the radio to power and signal the amp.

Decisions, decisions....did I mention the Tractor Tunes also comes with a high power antenna...

PICS

Name:  s7_523288_imageset_01.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  12.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0678.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0679.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0677.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 PM

The way I see it is the pod set up will run you at least 300 bucks, with no definitive way to properly get a signal to the sub amp. The eq from earlier may well work, but....

On the other hand, that Tractortunes setup is SWEET! Does everything your looking to get out of it, and Id be willing to bet you could sneak a sat rad receiver somewhere on board too.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

how bout you use a headphone signal splitter, to rca adapters. then you come out of mp3 player, split to rca adapter, rca lines to that amp for the sub, and a seperate amp for the full range speakers, using the gain on each amp to level out the sound output..
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Yep I keep questioning my choice and pondering other things, just to realize I'd be better off doing the Tractor Tunes. I like that down the road i can always mount another set of speakers anywheres and have the wiring to power them right off the radio. Well good, cause I already told the guys at Washington County Tractor to get it in for me and let me know. But I may go the internet route for tax free...plus free shipping.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
how bout you use a headphone signal splitter, to rca adapters. then you come out of mp3 player, split to rca adapter, rca lines to that amp for the sub, and a seperate amp for the full range speakers, using the gain on each amp to level out the sound output..
It just comes down to money now. I see theres a few ways to make it work without a radio, its just being able to find everything i need for under 400$

The simple way or the custom way?????????
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

how much room ya got to work with, you could get a set of
6x9 speaker boxes off ebay for about............30 shipped,
a set of 6x9 speakers..................................60 shipped
a kenwood amp..........................................140
wires from radio shack.................................50

and you are in musicland 4...........................$290 total

pm for links on prices quoted.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
how much room ya got to work with, you could get a set of
6x9 speaker boxes off ebay for about............30 shipped,
a set of 6x9 speakers..................................60 shipped
a kenwood amp..........................................140
wires from radio shack.................................50

and you are in musicland 4...........................$290 total

pm for links on prices quoted.
Yea send me some links would ya please?? I want to stick to 6.5"s though. Are these wooden boxes you're speaking of??? Because I need to mount them high up to keep away the water and mud. I imagine I could make some brackets...I'm just worried about the elements...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

yeah I sent ya links, yes they are wooden boxes like the sub box you pictured......... I figure you can screw them to either side of the sub box and have the amp mounted on top like the other, that way the unit can come off in one easy task............. lemme link ya some 6.5 boxes and speakers.. I sent 6x 9 stuff already.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Well guys I have to thank you for this!!! Really.

Did some more looking and looks as if the Tractor tunes won't mount on my hood (won't fit) so it would require the bracket kit, which is $50, or make my own (but I don't like the look of it mounted on the rail like it is). SO, Tractor Tunes is out.

But i did find my setup, and paid for it already!

I got the Audioformz bullet speakers, will mount wherever I want on the cage, great price for the pair, and they have Kicker loudspeaker 6.5" coaxials, a quality speaker in my book. This company is known for their wakeboard boat setups so I'm sure it will blow me away!

Also purchased a MB Quart Marine 4ch amp (so I can do a 2nd set of speakers down the road) to power them.

Have the mp3 to rca hookup already, along with everything else needed...

Now i can have a quality setup, without a radio, and still power my subwoofer. Links and pic attached to what i bought...

Name:  nau460.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  10.2 KB

Name:  rhino11.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  28.9 KB

Quick Reply: Audio question I can't even find the answer to...