Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

What do you 'wheel with? Post pics and vehicle info!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcastun

That will by nighttime ride starting mid december.

Running one of them is 10x better than woking out on the mountain making snow. You've got heat, a radio. All you have to do is stay awake. Out on the mountain you are in -10F conditions and trying to work. I would run teh groomer any day over making snow. Have fun and dont run over any people.

Coop
Old 11-24-2005, 01:36 PM

I dont have any real recent photos, but this one will do.
1973 CJ-5, 304, T-98, Dana20 w/tera low & AA 32 spline output, D44's f&r, ARB's f&r, 33"MTR's, 4.27's, full float rear, warn shafts and CTM's.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:37 AM

Here's my '45 MB (DOB March 1945) mounted on an M38 frame. The '45 frame was toast and I found a M38 parts jeep. I took the M38 frame, axles, and grill and sold the beat up M38 body and my old MB frame as the guy just wanted a baseline to make a rockcrawler. My goal was to keep the old WW2 look, but add some modern conveniences that are hidden for function. Some people consider what I did a sin (to not preserve history), but I want to enjoy it and use it for what it was intended. I get lots of vets coming to talk to me when I run around town with it. Usually a 5-minute trip to the store ends up being an hour or so with all the stories !

highlights:

-original L134 Go-Devil rebuilt with timing chain. Used a F134 front plate to mount the motor to the M38 frame. Whopping 60 HP with long-stroke torque!
-rebuilt 3-speed T90 tranny in my kitchen and swapped the 1st/reverse gear set for a slightly lower ratio *****'s pickup gearset (3.34:1)
-rebuilt Spicer 18 twin stick transfer case with revised bearings and custom 3.6 low range
-upgrade MB 4.88 axles to M38 5.38
-so my crawl ratio is 65:1 - with the jeep being fairly light the wheels will lock up in loose stuff going downhill due to the gear reduction.
-rebuilt axles myself with new bearings and seals
-converted rear D41 to 19 spline, added rear locker, and converted to full-floating. The MB and early CJ2A actually had 10-spline full floating axles from the factory! The rear locker makes it a climbing mountain goat in 2-wheel drive!
-converted to Saginaw manual steering. It is now index finger steering effort with no bumpsteer!
-replaced 9" brakes with 11" brakes from a ****** wagon
-converted to dual reservoir master cylinder
-Painless wiring harness
-full 12 volt conversion
-Pertronix electronic ignition
-replaced multiple-holed and rusted side and rear panels with new.
-herculined inside tub

Since I spent 2 years on this, I am now just driving it around and enjoying it. However, I still have the following things to do:

-need a spare tire, but I can't find these bias plys anywhere!
-trading the white spoke grandma wheels for 50ish jeep rims. They are sandbalsted and primed now and just waiting for some coats of OD paint.
-roll (off) cage in the first picture (what the jeep looked like when I got it) needs to be adapted and made into a real roll cage that ties into the frame.

The 3rd picture shows the engine compartment. You can see the stainless steel braided line going to the oil filter. The original (not war original, but original as in 25 miles worth) line blew in the hills 5 miles from town and pumped out 5 quarts onto ground! Luckily I had spare oil to get me to the top of a hill and then it was banzai all the way down. I replaced the line, filled up with oil, restarted, and no knocks, which was a relief on the 2000-mile old rebuilt motor! Also, visible in the 3rd picture is a little fuel pressure gauge and vacuum gauge to set the timing (rather than using a timing light). And yes, that is a UNI air filter set up as a cold air intake!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That jeep is beautiful!!!

Tx
Old 11-27-2005, 01:02 PM

If you guys want more of pictures of the jeep during the rebuild process let me know. The only thing I didn't do was the welding and rebuild the motor. A friend let me use his shop for 2 years. He did the welding and showed me how to do body work. I paid a shop to rebuild the motor since I never did this before. It's interesting after having gone through this that nothing scares me about working on vehicles, either new or old, anymore. Incidentally, my friend is also rebuilding a M38, but he swapped in a built 350 into it. We were idling around the yard and he tore out the center out of the clutch already - yes, just idling!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Muted User

ok lets see if this works... June 2005 Readers Rides - 4-Wheel and Off-Road 3rd pic down it is the blue chevy about 8 to 10 foot in the air...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Muted User

this sucks i can never figure out how to do this....
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Muted User

www.4wheeloffroad.com/readersrides/ this is the best i can do copy and paste the link above. my truck is june 2005 it is the blue chevy step-side in the air.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Muted User

sweet the link actually worked....
Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Ill add my Jeep to the mix:

91 wrangler, tube frame front and rear, custom cage, CJ grill/hood, HP 44 pass drop front (superiors/CTMs), 35spline Tera60R rear, 4 wheel disc, 8274 winch, klune-v, 1980 dana 300. Robby Gordon Beadlock wheels and 37" BFG Krawlers....... Use my truck to take it to Moab, Montrose, Rapid City.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scarecrow
sweet the link actually worked....

WOW!!! You aren't afraid of a little air are ya?!?! Sweet pic!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Not many places to get off road around here now, without owning your own land. Some few idiots screwed it up with their lawers and lawsuits. Keep posting!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 67HotRod
Not many places to get off road around here now, without owning your own land. Some few idiots screwed it up with their lawers and lawsuits. Keep posting!

Same here......we keep having to go farther and farther North for the good wheeling and to get away from the idiots. It doesn't really seem to matter what you do, there will always be a certain percentage of idiots that give a bad name to the masses. The problem is, while that percentage stays constant, the more people that are in the sport, the more idiots you will attract. When you go to your favourite wheeling spot and have 100 guys and 5 % are bone heads, that is only 5 guys to deal with.....when you go back a year later and there are 1000 guys wheeling there, you now have 50 boneheads to deal with.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:39 PM

lotsa mud round here, but sadly, no 4x4. i am looking for ramcharger/blazer or some other half ton truck i can throw some hd axles with 44'' boggers, (or who knows maybe the 49" iroks) under.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Rockhead, congrats on getting the round headlights

Quick Reply: What do you 'wheel with? Post pics and vehicle info!