Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Lock-Right Lockers...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock-Right Lockers...?

Just wondering if any of y'all are using the Lock-right Locker and how you like it? Wanting an inexpensive traction solution for a 2WD Dodge that will see all season/all weather use. Truck will be used on hiway, RV towing, and some moderate offroad like fire trails, desert running etc. Opinions?

I know there are some high buck solutions but wondering about the Lock-right in particular as the price is right. This will be going in a Dana 60HD rear. Thanks for any info.....

I may have asked this before but unfortunately my memory is about as slippery as my non-limited slip traction

JimmieD
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM

I had a Lock-Right in a Jeep that I used to own. It was a good trouble free unit. If I were to get a locker dor my presenr truck I would not hesitate to get another Lock-Right. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 AM

Sure does help! Thanks....
Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

That is the last locker I would suggest. They are horrible to drive in the rain and ice (back end swaps places witht the front). And they are noisey ratcheting on every turn.

If you must go drop in locker i would say spend the mone on the No-Slip from Powertrax. At least with that is completely disengages while turning and no ratcheting sould. I have dealt with both.

i wold go OX if i cold afford it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 AM

I went and read some reviews and checked prices and that Powertrax No-Spin sounds very good. About $430 for the Dana 60HD so ballpark reasonable, compared to ARB, OX etc. prices! Thanks again...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:17 AM

I used the lock right in my bronco with 35" swampers on it. Had a ford 9" rear end (was saving for a better rear locker ect)

Like others said, yes it does clank around the turns. Not sure you'd hear it in a diesel though. However it always locked up. When letting off the gas or getting on the gas you could feel it lock (truck would shimmy a bit) nothing dangerous but you knew it was locking up. Off road it did work great, when wheels were off the ground. If your looking for something more on road then off, look at what some of these other guys are looking at. Lockers are for More off road. Limited slips are more for on road.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info and reply! Yes, I'm now convinced that for my needs a locker is not best. I'll do the anti-spin if I can milk enough out of the piggy bank after the re$t of the engine/drivetrain $wap expenditures.....
Old 08-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I guess I am the 1 in a million.

I've been running a lockright in my dodge 9 1/4 rear for over 12 yrs now, no issues or clanking or lane swapping ever, and it has survived twisting the axle tube in the housing.

I have been running larger tires AND more hp than they recommend, and it still looks almost brand new.

My experience has been that if it is giving you lotsa problems, it may not have been installed correctly. I say this, because I helped a couple of friends with theirs, and it turns out they did not have the correct spacers/shims in it.

Many of them are mode for more than one specific year axle, and you MUST put the correct parts in for YOUR axle.

The only issue I have had with it, is one of the spacers shims in mine broke. hey sent me a new one for free.

As of right now, I am gonna use one in my 35 spline front 60 for my rig, with a spool in the rear.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:49 PM

I have had mine for 2 years and as been abused a lot. I drive the truck daily and I dont mind it at all.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM

You could always check this place out. Never personally done business with them but seen them around a lot:

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/pr...sp?vid=2&pid=3

John
Old 10-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Uhhhhmmmm No!!

I had two sets of lockrites front and rear in my 1992 jeep YJ with .456 gears and they quite frankly could not handle the torque. Both sets were replaced under warranty. I suppose that the sideways on the street banging 3rd gear driving might have had something to do with their failure but nonetheless I cannot recommend them.

If you are looking for the best get a Detroit locker and forget about it. Otherwise stick to the simple factory trac-lock diff. They work just fine!

Rick
Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks Sooter. Randy's Ring and Pinion gets too pricey for me but link appreciated!

Thanks Runamuk, good advice! A guy on another forum has a Dana Trac-Loc available and maybe cheap, hoping for the best....
Old 10-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Well, as I said, if installed wrong, they will fail.

IN a jeep, a lot of times the center pin is not hardened, and that will also let them fail.

I find it hard to believe that a jeep with a 6 or small 8 cylinder can kill 2 lockers. Especially since I have yet to kill ONE with over 400 hp and much larger tires and over 12 yrs of abuse...but still 4.56 gears.

runamuk, what size tires were you running ?? if it's smaller than a 39.5", then it had less torque to deal with than I put mine thru. I can't believe your axle shafts didn't break first.

In all my days of wheeling, I have seen more detroits fail than any other locker.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 PM

Understood on the lockers. Unfortunately this swap/restify has seriously drained the finances such that I can either get what I can afford or wait. May wait for the best later......
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 AM

I ran the powertrax no-slip lockers in my jeep before I swapped axles. They ran good. No Issues. I ran Detroits in my upgraded axles. Great lockers. Very beefy and never had any issues with them. For your situation, I would recommend a good limited slip and maybe some tire chains for the winter.

Quick Reply: Lock-Right Lockers...?