Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Kentucky 'wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Kentucky 'wheeling?

Has anybody been 'wheeling HERE ?

A few of us in our 4x4 club are interested in checking this place out. It is about an 11 hour drive for us and they are advertising RV hook ups and camping right at one of the trail heads. The trails look like a lot of fun and the county appears to be very accomodating to out-of-towners. Any feedback would be appreciated as we don't know anyone locally who has been there.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe

I think we may be heading down this spring to check it out. I don't know much from first hand but I hear the trails are good and marked OK. I think staying at the nearby camp ground seems to be safer to leave your stuff. I think the campground has staff 24/7.

later
Bruce
Old 02-25-2006, 08:55 PM

I've been there and it an excellent place to go. The people are really nice and very helpful. The camping at the trailhead is great and free no worry about stealing either. Here is another web site with more trafic and more up to date info.
Ky outdoors
Old 02-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Mudcat
I've been there and it an excellent place to go. The people are really nice and very helpful. The camping at the trailhead is great and free no worry about stealing either. Here is another web site with more trafic and more up to date info.
Ky outdoors
Hmm....looks like that site is geared towards the ATV riders not 4x4's.

Thank you for the input, though. I am looking at staying at the Putney trail head since they have RV hook ups and a larger camping area. I really like the idea of being able to have a base camp right at the trail head since there is no road driving or trailering required to get to the trails from the camping area.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 PM

been to harlan 6 or 7 times in the last year, its awesome!
Really fun trails, some really hard lines and some really easy lines. as stated above, everybody in the town is excited to see wheelers, and are very helpfull. One of the cooler aspects of it is that many of the trails aer actually roads, with obstacles on the side so, it allows rigs of different levels to ride thge same trails.
Again, the place is awesome, they are having a HUGE Memorial day wekend event, it'll be worth the ride. dave
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM

CTD nut, :et me know when yopu are planning to come down and we'll meet ya, give you the grand tour. You'll love it. dave
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 AM

Just got back from 3 great days at harlan. The site I posted above has a litle more info on it for people that may want to stay in a cabin rather than take a RV, it has a little more info and activity on it as well. We went and checked out the othet trail head and it is nice too but no nearby food and stuff like this. Evarts is a great town and has a lot of facilities if they would be needed. There are more ATV and OHV trails now since the last trip down. Evarts should have full RV hookups in the next month or so too. At this time they just have free water and electric hookups, but there are dump stations around too.
Check it out you will have a blast it is some great wheeling.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the info guys! This has really sold me on the next new place to try. I have to look at the club schedule and see what is what.

35xj,

I might just take you up on your offer....I guided tour would be cool and a chance to hang with some fellow DTR/crawler guys would be sweet. Maybe we could even meet up with Mudcat too.

I'm thinking we may head out there in late summer or early fall.....the rest of the summer is booked up, I'm fairly sure.

BTW, I noticed you live in Asheville....we are heading down to Tellico in the middle of April....kind of a last minute club idea (long story). Unfortunately, my CJ won't be ready for that trip (I think) but I may take the slide-in camper and 3500 down there and hitch a ride on the trails - we'll see. We usually stay in the Hanging Dog campground just outside of Murphy but I don't know if we are going to stay somewhere different this time.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTD nut..post up whenya go....I may be able to swing it to, and bring some freinds with me.

(If I ain't in Moab then)
Old 03-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by TRCM
CTD nut..post up whenya go....I may be able to swing it to, and bring some freinds with me.

(If I ain't in Moab then)
Cool....were you referring to Tellico or Kentucky? Either way, I'll post when we will be going to both places.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 PM

let me know. I'd be happy to show you around either place. give me some notice on Tellico and i'll seee if I can free a seat up for you. My new rig should be finnished mid summer, so i'll be itching to wheel it. here's a link.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449001
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 35xj
let me know. I'd be happy to show you around either place. give me some notice on Tellico and i'll seee if I can free a seat up for you. My new rig should be finnished mid summer, so i'll be itching to wheel it. here's a link.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449001
Hey, that is a cool looking Jeep. Very original! An ultra bobbed Scrambler with a custom tube bed......very nice. I'd go for a ride in that!