Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Jeep Off-Road Ability...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also think a lot of any vehicle's capability has to do with the driver.

Also...don't forget...jeep didn't just build the CJ/Wrangler style rigs. Jeep built (near) full size wagons and trucks up to one ton (I have a 3/4 ton jeep RV sitting in my yard now)for many many years. And certainly don't forget about the XJ...mid-size cherokee. WONDERFUL vehicles for all around daily driving, will tow nearly double what a wrangler will and do so more safely than a wrangler. It came with solid axles front/rear throughout its entire production so it can be offroaded well and can carry a family of 4 comfortably including gear...unless you're BIG people. (I'm 6'3 and did so many times though)

I think that is why jeep is such a big name...most of the vehicles ever built by jeep were great right from the dealer...very easy to work on and even easier to modify as well as cheap to modify if you know what to do and do it safely.

I've wheeled/built/driven a LOT of different jeeps over the last 10-12 years... everything from a CJ-5 up to my current trail rig which is an '87 comanche. It has 122" wheelbase and welded rear end so tight trails require some thinking and thankfully it has a twin stick case so I can do front digs...but put it on an incline and it will fly right up it while a shorter wheelbase rig might have to fight with it for a while. I wheeled my last XJ on 33's with a YJ on 38's and I did everything he did and did some things easier. Had a lot to do with seat time as both rigs were comparably built other than tire size.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Off-road Ability

Jeeps can more able to get around off-road because of its lighter weight and shorter base as compared to trucks. Great topic. Thanks for creating this thread here at https://www.dieseltruckresource.com