NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

My 2006 Has the Dreaded "Death Wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by MoNStrRIg
My 05 was goin psycho like that, then I put the lift on....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am actually thinking of going the "other way" Jimmy. What I mean is, if all of tbis does not help, I am planning on removing my 2" "Revtek" Front Leveling Blocks, and lowering the rear axle "blocks" or lifts there to effectively lower the whole stance of the truck. It may not look as good, but if it will get rid of that wobble, I don't care. Two Dodge Front End Techs have told me that they think those 2" front blocks "aggravate" the wobble. We'll see..............

-------
John_P
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,
I did exactly what your talking about doing to my truck to level it for the
285's. I took the the little spacer leaves in the rear pack and moved them to the top of the spring pack. It lowered the back about 1-1.5" and got rid of the raked look.
I have since thought about leveling my truck on 35's when my tires wear out but if you take the spacers off your truck and it fixes the problem I will probably keep my truck just the way it is.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zuki_dan
John,
I did exactly what your talking about doing to my truck to level it for the
285's. I took the the little spacer leaves in the rear pack and moved them to the top of the spring pack. It lowered the back about 1-1.5" and got rid of the raked look.
I have since thought about leveling my truck on 35's when my tires wear out but if you take the spacers off your truck and it fixes the problem I will probably keep my truck just the way it is.
---------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info Daniel. I appreciate that very much. Cris had mentioned you guys had done that to your Mega Cab.

-------
John
Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I have the same problem. >75mph and cross a bridge with a diagonal expansion joints, and I get DW.

Do you have links to the TSB's for this problem?

I have replaced my trac-bar bushings and it seemed to help, but I also noticed that my axle side Trac Bar mount was mushroomed out slightly. I have been panning on welding in a washer to fix the issue.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM

The TSB is 22-005-06. The TSB is listed in this thread on the 2nd page 16 post.
steering upgrade
From what I hear from John and Cris these are the same tierods that are used on the sterling trucks, which are 4500-5500.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM

John, how's it going? Well besides the DW of course.

Is Mike working on it? if so, please tell him I said hello. I hope you get it ironed out. It seems like it doesn't do it to any certain truck. I know there are a bunch of folks running the leveling kits. Heck mine has been that way for 96,000 miles and I never had it. I have a guy that just left here that has an 08 and his does it like crazy with all factory stuff. Who knows?

I hope you get it straightened out. next time I am that way I will try to give ya a call.
Ron
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
I am actually thinking of going the "other way" Jimmy. What I mean is, if all of tbis does not help, I am planning on removing my 2" "Revtek" Front Leveling Blocks, and lowering the rear axle "blocks" or lifts there to effectively lower the whole stance of the truck. It may not look as good, but if it will get rid of that wobble, I don't care. Two Dodge Front End Techs have told me that they think those 2" front blocks "aggravate" the wobble. We'll see..............

-------
John_P
well not for death woble but i took the rear blocks out of mine to lower the stance,levels the truck out .i like the look.this death wobble crap has me worried.i am going to have my mechanic really look things over.i am a bit worried about DW on a wfo pass.if it ddnt mess the truck up it would probly get my shorts...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Jess,

I've had it a couple times at coastal plains and rockingham in the braking bumps just after the traps. DW @ 110mph will wake you up if you're not familiar with what's going on!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zuki_dan
The TSB is 22-005-06. The TSB is listed in this thread on the 2nd page 16 post.
steering upgrade
From what I hear from John and Cris these are the same tierods that are used on the sterling trucks, which are 4500-5500.
---------------------------------------------------------
Dan is right, the new steering linkage in that TSB IS from the 4500 "Sterling Cab/Chassis Trucks." I went to "National Dodge's" Lot and looked under one, and as Cris said, it is exactly like the one they put on mine.

--------
John_P
Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RonP
John, how's it going? Well besides the DW of course.

Is Mike working on it? if so, please tell him I said hello. I hope you get it ironed out. It seems like it doesn't do it to any certain truck. I know there are a bunch of folks running the leveling kits. Heck mine has been that way for 96,000 miles and I never had it. I have a guy that just left here that has an 08 and his does it like crazy with all factory stuff. Who knows?

I hope you get it straightened out. next time I am that way I will try to give ya a call.
Ron
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron:

Happy New Year Sir! It is good to hear from you Buddy! How are you liking it up in the new area/base etc.?

Yes Ron, Mike is the one working on my truck. IMHO, he is one of, if not the best Dodge CTD Front End/Chassis Technicians there is. I will tell him you said hello.

I agree with you that this problem is kind of "hit and miss." But both Mike and Tom said they are seeing it way more on the 2007-2008 trucks than ever before. But mine is a 2006, so go figure huh? It is darn un-nerving when it starts though as I have said.

Please do give me a call if you ever get down here. Take care Ron!

--------
John_P
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM

do you have a leveling kit on the truck. when i put a leveling kit on mine is when i got it so i just put 2 inch blocks in the rear and it fix until my stabilizer shock busted. so replaced it about a month ago so i would check that the caster on the alignment and the steering shock hope this helps.

danny
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by king d
well not for death woble but i took the rear blocks out of mine to lower the stance,levels the truck out .i like the look.this death wobble crap has me worried.i am going to have my mechanic really look things over.i am a bit worried about DW on a wfo pass.if it ddnt mess the truck up it would probly get my shorts...
------------------------------------------------
Jess:

Thanks for the info on the rear blocks/suspension. You are right about the DW when we are drag racing. I don't remember the guys name, but the guy that has that real fast Dodge CTD CR down in Louisiana got it during a WO pass and as I recall he said it shook so bad it cracked his dash!! I can believe that too, because in my 2006, when it started shaking at 80 MPH the inside of the truck was "vibrating" so bad change, sunglasses, phone cords etc. were flying out of the floor center console on my truck!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dwitt0187
do you have a leveling kit on the truck. when i put a leveling kit on mine is when i got it so i just put 2 inch blocks in the rear and it fix until my stabilizer shock busted. so replaced it about a month ago so i would check that the caster on the alignment and the steering shock hope this helps.

danny
Thanks for the info Danny!

Yes Sir, I have the 2" "Revtek Front Leveling Blocks" on my 2006.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one has mentioned this. It needs 6-7 degrees of positive caster. Also everything needs to be tight. Steering brace is good.
The factory allowance from left to right is an issue to on some trucks.
I got mine to drive almost as good as a 4X2. Dealer said it was in spec. It still had DW.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Administrator

--------------------------UPDATE----------------------------------------

Well, they got the new steering damper on my 2006 and the DW is almost gone. I am still getting a slight vibration at about 80-85 MPH, but it is not as bad as it was. The next step is a new track bar. I will keep you posted........

--------
John_P

Quick Reply: My 2006 Has the Dreaded "Death Wobble"