NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

Cummins in a Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins in a Ford

So I got my head thinking,which is sometimes a bad thing. Im considering putting a cummins in my F-250. How bad and how big of a project can this be? I would ensure I had all parts ready to go before pulling the motor so I wont have so much down time. So....any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Chapter President

It's a pretty big job. You best bet would be to find a 12 valve so the you won't have an electrical nightmare, I'm sure you can find and adapter to keep your transmission in place.

Do a search on conversions, it's been done before so someone with experience can give you a better idea of what's involved.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I found all the adapters on destroked.com. Motor mounts,tranny adapters and all that other good stuff. Just wondering how time consuming it is if all the stuff that is needed is set aside ready to go.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

The best thing to do is leave your truck alone, but of you really want to put a cummins in your truck get a common rail. I know what mike said about the wiring, but you only need 8 wires to make a common rail work in your truck. Thats maybe 3 wires more then it would take to do a 12v. You can even hitch up your CC.

Check out www.autoworldmt.com they have everything you need to make the switch.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masonic-dodge
but of you really want to put a cummins in your truck get a common rail. I know what mike said about the wiring, but you only need 8 wires to make a common rail work .

Check out www.autoworldmt.com they have everything you need to make the switch.
Really? Only 8 wires? Have you done this? Which 8? I thought a CR might be cool in my Crew, but I want 12 valve reliability, from what I have seen the CR trucks are a bit of a headache when you start to make power---as reliability goes, not ease of power. Computer's have made it so any nerd can go fast without really understanding the internal combustion engine cycles.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Really? Only 8 wires? Have you done this? Which 8? I thought a CR might be cool in my Crew, but I want 12 valve reliability, from what I have seen the CR trucks are a bit of a headache when you start to make power---as reliability goes, not ease of power. Computer's have made it so any nerd can go fast without really understanding the internal combustion engine cycles.
Hey buddy....I resemble that remark!!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

All you have to do is call those people, The lady I talked to listed the colors of the wires and were to hitch them. She impressed me
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by masonic-dodge
All you have to do is call those people, The lady I talked to listed the colors of the wires and were to hitch them. She impressed me
That's awsome!!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ShakinRedCTD
Hey buddy....I resemble that remark!!!!
You are too funny!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Phil,You aren't abandoning our plans are you?? 12v's rock you don't need no stinking common rail
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Well I think project 12 valve will be under way soon. I just need some more info from some guys who have done it before. Never would I have ever considered putting a cummins in my F250.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
Phil,You aren't abandoning our plans are you?? 12v's rock you don't need no stinking common rail
No way, just curious--call me
Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Ive done it.... 12 valve in a 99 F-250... ALOT of work...ALOT of money...ALOT of time... would i do it again? probably not... But i like what ive got ...its been over a year since i completed it and im still not done working all the bugs out... ive got nearly $14000 in it all with 460hp and 940 torque... Took me a month to do the complete swap, just working on it after i got out of school each day and some days i didnt work on it... Even though you think you have all the parts...you probably will still be making several trips to the parts store and other places to get it all completed after you start....
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phil, I agree with you 100% on that!! We will have to just "agree to disagree" with Cris on this issue! And Cris, no offense to you AT ALL on this Sir! Now, I will admit some guys like Tim, Lloyd, Reb along with a few others have made some HUGE power with the CR trucks, but like you Phil, I STILL like my "smokey old 12 valve" better than my 06' CR.

-------
John
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Chapter President

Computer's have made it so any nerd can go fast without really understanding the internal combustion engine cycles.
Nerds have a need for speed too...

Quick Reply: Cummins in a Ford