NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

CADASH is rolling again!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CADASH is rolling again!!

After a short uninstall and a painful install Dan is now part of the "Billet" tranny club....I'll let him explain all the details...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Let's hear it!!!! Waiting.....still waiting...
Glad your up and running.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Well.... here it goes. After a long thought process I decided to go through Suncoast for the tranny. Ordered the Billet input,Mag-hytec pan,extreme tow package which consists of the transgo tugger kit and high load calibration parts,391 sq. in tranny cooler,all clutch packs are upgraded,pump upgrades and a billet torque converter.

Removal was quick and pretty painless. I think we had it out in less than 3 hours. That was with a few trips to the tool room and a few minutes of BS'ing.

Now the install.....We first started out with a delicious meal at our local friendly Cracker Barrel. Delicious!! After our food coma we made it to the hobby shop which didnt open for another hour. First thing we decided to conquer was the tranny cooler.Stock one had to come out. Sounds simple enough right....WRONG...its a Ford(but I love her).The tranny cooler is between the intercooler and the condenser. Removal of the stock cooler=PITA, install of new cooler=bigger PITA. After that we cleaned the stock lines with tranny line cleaner. For some reason we couldnt get any air toblow through them.....oh yeah its because my stock tranny clutches were clogging them up.(pictures to come) The cooler took a few hours to do.Once again...never doing that again.
The tranny install was pretty straight forward. The only PITA was the dipstick mount that the tranny bolt goes through.I had a Banks transcommand that we had to depin from the stock harness to remove. Install I think was roughly the same time as removal.We knew what we needed and got it ahead of time.
So after everything was done on to fire it up.Truck started fine but a few seconds later the over drive light started flashing.One of the hobby shop guys got a reader and it was saying:shift solenoid,TC clutch,and coast clutch.Lovely...Now what. A nice dinner at applebees with Nate and some other friends finished the night off quite well considering i had 2 big things of yuengling there.
It was friday and suncoast was closed till monday.(tranny went in friday)
Monday came and I called suncoast and they said to make sure the harness is getting power.(where the transcommand was hooked to) So I checked the pins and it was getting power. So im thinking maybe a harness got pinched or a wire got pulled too tight. Im lost. The truck is still on base but the tranny is stuck in second and the truck is in limp mode. I WANT MY TRUCK. Finally giving in i went to Ford for assistance. I was told I couldnt be seen today but for 20 bucks a tech who was free can give me his time and do a quick diagnostic with the computer. Every tranny code came up which to him, meant something wasnt getting power. I thought maybe when we depinned the harness the hot wire shorted on something. Sweet that has to be it.The tranny was dyno'd before it left the shop. I know its good. So i was able to use the ford wiring schematics and back track the signal for the tranny.Being rusty on schematics it took me a while and it all pointed to a Central Junction Box under the hood. So i go to my truck to find the fuse but wait... i dont have a box under my hood. ***!!!! The tech looked and said it might be under my AFE.So i excitedly run home to take apart my truck.Its now a little after 5pm on monday.Get home and a friend of my wife wants me to take the tint off her new truck.A 2006 Dodge 2500 Lone Star edition,of course a Cummins under the hood with a 6 speed. Talk about not fair. My truck is broke and my wife is driving me to pick this truck up to bring to my house. Now my truck is really going to hate me.So we get back home and i rip apart the AFE.I get it out and BAM....there is nothing underneath but fenderwell.***.So i call some of my ford buddies and they are lost too. Im suppossed to have to fuse boxes. So for hours i search and search for info and got nothing.The ford tech let me bring the manual home. So finally i break down and decide to check the wire colors on the tranny harness. I know its good because we removed the transcommand,but i will look anyway.I put the key to run to check for voltage on the hot pins and im getting voltage but one pin is lower than it should.Puzzled I look in the book and see that pins 1 and 12 are hot.I got pins 7 and 12 hot.WHAT??? Pin 7,tranny temp was switched with pin 1,12v.That was it.I switched them,fired the truck up and took off.(at 2 in the morning)The truck runs great,shifts firm and feel alot more snappy!
I am amazed what a built tranny feels like and how it feels.Cant wait to tow something!

Again...a HUGE thanks to Nate (ShakinRedCTD) for all the help and time spent on this science project.If it werent for him....well I probably would still have a stock tranny.
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next event!!

Not the best typer.Sorry for gramatical errors!!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Nate and Dan:

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you guys got all the problems worked out!

-------
John_P
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 AM

Let me say, Dan you are one of the funniest people I have ever turned wrenches with. Everytime I turned around Dan was rubbing his head, neck or other part from banging around under that truck.

Trying to fit that new (MASSIVE) tranny cooler under there was like trying to fit a case of cokes into a 6 pack cooler. To do this correctly you would have to remove the bumper, front grill, front cross member, condenser and a few other things....but we got it.

As far as the Banks thing....another reason Banks is HIGHLY overrated...even their directions were broken....

Dan I am glad you like your tranny and now when you are mad at the wife you can lay uner the truck and look at the BEAUTIFUL MAG-Hytech!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Talking

Great Job Guys!
Ever figure out how the two pins came to be switched????? I know it wasn't from the factory
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
Great Job Guys!
Ever figure out how the two pins came to be switched????? I know it wasn't from the factory
Poor schematics!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Forgot to post some pictures of my tranny teardown. Second and third gear clutches where gone and the pump was out of spec. Enjoy!!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Dang Dan,....you did need some tranny work!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM

MAN that's a pile of "Stuff" ya got there....Tranny still doing well?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM

I launched his truck the other night, it is strong!! But defueling at 23# of boost. He would be making a ton more power if we could get past the 23# thing
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Chapter President

Wow those clutches were burnt. Glad you got it back running good. Good job!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
Dang Dan,....you did need some tranny work!
To say the least!!! Im surprised it ran like that for quite some time!!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
MAN that's a pile of "Stuff" ya got there....Tranny still doing well?
Like a champ!! Never goes above 140!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Wow those clutches were burnt. Glad you got it back running good. Good job!
Thanks Mike! Like a different truck. Now that I have some custom tunes Im curious what she would run.

Quick Reply: CADASH is rolling again!!