Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Old Hat in South Ga.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Hat in South Ga.

Well, Gentleman this could be a long introduction! Like most moterheads of the mid sixties started out drag racing a 55 chevy C/gasser, good friends,and many good memories.
Then came the dreaded draft! Got my notice that I was #17 on "the list." RAN down to the Air Force recruiter and enlisted the same week! For a long list of reasons, I ended up staying 24 yrs. Like any and all jobs it had it's good points and bad.
Turned wrenches in the A.F. and on weekends repaired cars at home. By the mid eighties the writing was on the wall, with no education in computer controlled cars, repairing street cars was in the past.
Then came getting involved with late model roundy track cars and the start of building MY dream car 1923 Ford "T" bucket. (Still blame the T.V. program "77 Sunset Strip") [most reading this will wonder what is this ole dude talking about, the rest will node their heads-ya I know]
One thing for sure late model racing will bankrupt a millionaire- at lest two of everything! A cheap $10 wheel bearing will make you watch the main with your car on the trailer! long night! For those that have been there ,they know it's a seven days a week hobby. Can't think of anything that's legal that's more fun.
The late model belonged to a friend although it was fun it started taking away my time from my build- the bucket. By 85 I started devoting all my time to my car. It came out nice enough to show at Tucson's World of Wheels twice. Took 3rd in Altered pick-up first time out!
So where does a Dodge D-250 come into this tail? Glad you asked! In 93 my brother in law bought it brand new. Like most few add on's and red. At that time he was 57 and really didn't have a need for a diesel truck. Bought a 26ft. camper in 03 and like most campers sat a lot and towed a little. When he passed last year, my sister in law asked if I wanted to buy it. 104K shelter kept (here in south Ga. we park under shelters!) Some rust on the battery tray, floor mats, seat, dash, head liner all look as good as the day he bought it.
My hesitation was the fact I haven't driven stick shift in 25yrs! Been towing the bucket to local car shows with a 04 chevy gas 6. Driving up to the Atlanta area gave my little 6 more than it could really handle. So $4200 later I now own the Dodge. Must admit this new addiction has me acting like a high school boy (at 68) that just got his driving license. Towed to Gainesville show last weekend and there are some SMALL hills there that would make the chevy downshift if I tried to maintain the speed limit. The Dodge can speedup with only the slightest increase in the foot feed.
In his later years my brother in law didn't drive much and maintenance had fallen off to zero. All filters and oil were long over due. Replaced all four dry rotted tires, all under the hood hoses, and belt. This truck is as stock as a stove and I see no reason to change it. To date my one addition has been a brake controller for my trailer.
thing to do list include adjusting the valves and replacing the rear brake shoes thanks to this web site I will install the one ton wheel cylinders and shoes.What you all do in one hour will take me half the day, but that's OK cuz I still can and want to do it!
Just thought of another reason to drive to town! Gotta go!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Glad to have you with us Old Timer! the young guys like myself (64) will try to help out all we can
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to the DTR... good intro!