Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Howdy from New Mexico

Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy from New Mexico

Hello all,
My name is Jim but all my friends call me Spider or Spidey so if you see Spidey as my signature it's just me.
I'm an old fart, trailer/biker/oil field trash guy. I live in a little farm community in Southeast NM.
I just got my first diesel pickup a week ago Saturday. It's a Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab with the Cummins diesel.
I had a 2011 Ram 1500 that I traded in on this truck. The 2500 makes that 1500 feel like it was just a car in pickups clothes. LOL
I am really loving this truck although I only heve less than 500 miles on it.
She will be mostly for going back and forth to work which is 27.6 miles from door to door.
I'm 56 and have drove truck most of my life so I'm not uneducated to diesel engines however all this EPA crap has me totally baffled and I'm enjoying reading a lot of the info here and tech tips on things I can and can not do to my truck to help it run better and get better mileage.
I don't know how much tech info I can add but I'm always up for learning and listening to the pros. Seems like a good group here so I'm pretty excited to be here.
I have wrenched on bikes since I was a kid and am an avid Harley man so if there's ever anything I can do to help any of you who are bike guys please don't hesitate to ask. I own two Shovelheads and an 05 Heritage Springer Classic.
Thanks for having me aboard and looking forward to learning a lot and meeting a lot of good folks here.
I'll post up pics of The Beast, the new truck but I have to log on from Firefox. I can never get my pics to upload from IE. Spidey.
Here's a pic of The Beast.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome! I'm from the Northwestern part of NM myself. Definitely a good group of folks on this forum. I have learned a lot about my truck through here--and still learning!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome 6.7. As mentioned I drive truck for a living but there's a lot of difference from the Mack I drive to this Dodge Ram. I am sure loving it a lot though and more each day.
So where abouts in NM are you? I see a couple of other guys from here too. One gent is up in Ruidoso which is only about 95 miles or so from me. I'm just about 15 miles South of Roswell.
I've got 10 acres out here so if any NM, AZ, TX, CO and anywhere else people want to get together sometime I'd be more than happy to host and use my place as a base camp. Lots of pretty cool places to go adventuring around here.
Looking forward to learning a lot about The Beast. Trying to learn some tips and tricks to make her breath and get some better mileage without voiding my warranty. Spidey.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome to DTR Spidey! Glad to have you with us
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Your welcome! I absolutely love my Cummins! I had an 08 MC w/ the Hemi and there is just no comparison. My 08 was suppose to be my Cummins, but I am glad I waited as I like the interior of the 4th Gen much better than my 3rd Gen.

I originally hail from Farmington and hope to be back there sometime at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. I have an uncle that lives in Roswell and cousins in Hobbs, NM - really, family all over, lol.

As far as making your truck breath better, your options are really limited if you want to keep your warranty in tack. One place I would start is ditching the factory air filter and throw in an AMSOIL EAA189 air filter in its place. After your first 2 or 3 oil changes I would switch to synthetic oil--not that that helps make it breathe better, but it may help with your MPG. I recommend AMSOIL CJ-4 DME 15W-40 or DEO 5W-40. They are both great oils and I have ran both and currently run the 5W-40--although since I am deleted, I am switching over to the AME 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil sometime in the next few days. I don't think there will be too much else you can do to improve your MPG w/out doing the deletes and possibly building your own CAI or buying one--although, i don't think my S&B netted me any gains--just food for thought.

Good luck on your research and if you do decide to delete, this forum is an excellent place to learn everything you need to know and get answers to all of your questions - just remember, once you delete, you will wonder why you didn't do it to begin with - I know I did!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM

Again, many thanks for the warm welcome, all two of you. LOL I'll say this much, the people I have met so far, and that's pretty limited, have been just super nice.
I need to get back over to the Misfits and catch up, or throw up as the case may be. Good bunch there with a good sense of humor. Always a good thing as nothing better than laughter.
Like a bud of mine says and I love this " It's all good until someone gets hurt then it's hilarious." He's kind of a sick so and so! LOL
Well thanks again for the info and Mega, I posted in the delete thread my thoughts on Scamsoil. Again, no offense and to each their own but not Scamsoil for this guy.
I'm going to look into what Lucas has to offer and if I can't find what I want there then it's Rotella T for me. That's all we used when I was over the road and what we use at the shop I work at now. I drive semi in the oil patch and drive an 07 CH600 Mack with the 465 in it. If the oil field doesn't put a piece of equipment to the ultimate test I don't think anything can. The truck I drive has as of 5:30 this afternoon 265051 miles and I've put almost the last 100k on it in the last year since I've been driving it. The weird thing about that truck is I always know when it's a couple thousand miles overdue for service as it will finally use a little oil. It won't use a drop if they catch it at the correct miles between services but as soon as it gets a little over it uses a gallon every 4 to 5 days. I typically haul 85-100k pounds at about any given time with D8's, 966's and so on. I hauled a D9 with that thing and you would have thought it was a D6, until I got to a pretty good hill. Haha.
Well off to bed. Night men, Jim.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM

It's all good! No offense taken man! The truth is, folks will use what they are comfortable with. I recently switched to the AMSOIL SAE 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Oil (from the DEO CJ-4 5W-40) to see how I like it, after reading an article about the Million Mile Trucker that attributes the use of AMSOIL to the longevity of his engine. I'm going to "attempt" to take more frequent oil samples this time to see how it is performing.

I ran whatever the dealer was using up until about 19K miles, when I switched to AMSOIL OE Oil, then after deletes, used the oils above. Not to make you sick of reading about Amsoil, lol, it is more cost effective for me than running other oils, since I can run extended drain intervals and there is a warranty with AMSOIL during the warranty period, plus the years I have been using it, I am confident in its ability to perform and protect my investment.

Hey, so do you do you any hunting? When I was down in Alamogordo last year, I talked to a local who hunts out in the mountains close to there. He said there is definitely some excellent opportunities for elk. My brothers and I as well as our Uncle put in for Elk tags for the hunting district close to Farmington. Unfortunately we didn't draw, but next year I'm going to try to talk them into putting tags in for down there. Just curious if you had any experience in the area if you hunt?