Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Hey guys :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys :)

well hey guys doing my first truck its a 97 ram 3500 dully 4x4, was my dads old truck, but my cousin had it séance 08 when my dad bought his other dodge I just got it back with 215,000 miles (about 5000 on the tranny).

Well I am looking to do some mods and wanted to see what you guys think? some 6 inch stacks (not sure what kind yet probe the bull horn style) fuel plate, Banks quick turbo, banks twin intake manifold, cold air intake any thing else I should look at? thanks. She will be getting bigger oil pans for tranny, and front and rear diffs, also wanted to see if there's some good place to buy dully wheel for a good price plus what is the biggest tire I can fit on this truck stock, or maybe a 2 or 3 inch lift. I also will be getting bumpers and winch plus after market head lights, and lots of little things like that. I do want the truck to make smoke but not so bad I get in a lot of trouble .

This project will be going on tell October when I get my license (turn 16 in June) I am also paying for everything, I will be slowly building it up over summer with money I make from goeduck diving.

So where I live most people drive ford, and are all powerstroke lovers (I don't think one of them even has an after market filter) but I want to be able to show what a really motor dues :P. I have always loved the Cummins in the dodge, love driving my dads 08 with the 6.7.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So cool...That your working on your dads truck...Good to see some younger fellows that want to still work on vehicles..

Welcome to DTR...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
So cool...That your working on your dads truck...Good to see some younger fellows that want to still work on vehicles..

Welcome to DTR...
Yep in this family (dads side) is loyal to the ram trucks always worked them and they always held up. I grew up in that truck heading to work every day so I got lots of memories in it going to love having it . Besides basic work I have not done a lot on trucks, but I have rebuilt lots of atv and stuff like that. I love working on motors, I am really excited to get this project rolling. truck runs good and strong but I want her to run better and stronger :P this 5.9 12 valve should not be hard working on, only thing I might need help with is the fuel plate mod, witch I have found videos for install. I was just wondering do these trucks have like an O2 censer on them to auto match fuel and air? I have not got to look a lot yet, or do you just turn the fuel up by the fuel plate? Because with the duel stacks bigger air box and few other mods it will need more fuel to match the air. Like I said I have mostly worked on atvs with out the O2 on it so you have to use a fuel controller on efi models....... everything I am adding is bolt on besides the fuel plate, witch don't seem to bad, I am going to be going through school for diesel motors and all that I love working on things like this.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by as140672
Yep in this family (dads side) is loyal to the ram trucks always worked them and they always held up. I grew up in that truck heading to work every day so I got lots of memories in it going to love having it . Besides basic work I have not done a lot on trucks, but I have rebuilt lots of atv and stuff like that. I love working on motors, I am really excited to get this project rolling. truck runs good and strong but I want her to run better and stronger :P this 5.9 12 valve should not be hard working on, only thing I might need help with is the fuel plate mod, witch I have found videos for install. I was just wondering do these trucks have like an O2 censer on them to auto match fuel and air? I have not got to look a lot yet, or do you just turn the fuel up by the fuel plate? Because with the duel stacks bigger air box and few other mods it will need more fuel to match the air. Like I said I have mostly worked on atvs with out the O2 on it so you have to use a fuel controller on efi models....... everything I am adding is bolt on besides the fuel plate, witch don't seem to bad, I am going to be going through school for diesel motors and all that I love working on things like this.
Good for you.......You have a great plan for your future...You will do well..

If you have any questions for us...Post in the 2nd gen 12V section..We will help you on any questions...

You have worked on ATV...A diesel truck will be no problem for you to fix..
Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Good for you.......You have a great plan for your future...You will do well..

If you have any questions for us...Post in the 2nd gen 12V section..We will help you on any questions...

You have worked on ATV...A diesel truck will be no problem for you to fix..
what I was trying mean by was I am not to clue less :P but this is just the first Cummins I have had to work on besides maintenance. I have done lots of work on some 7.3 fords :P and I have swapped 2 trannys in fords too also one in my truck this will just be my first time really getting into it to put a new fuel plate in, all the other stuff is easy no problem. All I know is this truck will be easier working on then the 72 Detroit that was in my old dive boat :P after rebuilding that thing in a small *** engine room I don't think it will be a big deal working on this truck in a full size shop.
I am not clue less about what I need to do, this things actually way more simple then a outlander 1000 I worked on..... then again that outlander is worth more then my truck but then again my Polaris 850 is more advanced and cost more then my truck buy a lot :P

I just don't work on trucks as much as I do atvs, trucks I work on are mine, but the atvs I work on are just who ever trust me :P

all the cars I have worked on

2 ford trannys excursions + all maintenance from diffs powersteering, coolant..... so on
1 tranny in my dodge plus all maintenance
put a 5th wheel hitch in my dads 3500
2 flat beds on f 350s
did lots of work on a 91 (I think that's was the year) 7.3 powerstroke
lots of work on a bronco I got for free then made into a wheeler and sold
do all services on my moms 2012 subraban

I have done lots of work with my cousin jake on fords I mean complete over hauls but I have never had to touch anything under a hood of a ram and only had to do a valve check on a gas Chevy. My cousin has a shop and I work there after school.