Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Hello From Sacramento, CA

Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello From Sacramento, CA

51 year old male looking for...A new truck! I've never owned a Dodge, but decided a long time ago if I was too ever buy another diesel truck it would be a dodge. Previously a bunch of years ago I owned a FoundOnRoadDead diesel. For the past couple years I've not owned a truck. I used to have and haul livestock and my friends with the Dodge Cummins could always out pull me. Plus IMO the Dodge for years now have been the best looking full sized trucks on the road. Now I just need a 1500 as I'm just going to use as a daily driver, to go camping etc. I'm a Fly Fisherman so I want a 4x4 so I can get away from pressured fishing spots and not have hike as far.

I have two questions. What is the average life in miles of a Dodge Cummins Diesel and what is considered low miles on one?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
DTR Mom

Hi back Tom Wilson! Welcome to the best common sense diesel truck site!

preview our forums to see which category would help you out the most for guys to answer your questions, or owners in your area. Post and be welcomed! no question ignored.

great to hear from a fellow fly fishing fool.

friendly admin guys (read the registered user "administrator") and the daily operations guru and store super helpful admin TOP

please have fun, get knowledge and be common sense responsible for your posts! you ARE from Noerthern CA after all! heh heh
Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Welcome to the site
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello Tom and welcome to DTR... fellow Sacramentan here, feel free to hit me up with questions you may have.

Heidi!! Shame on you!

Don't mind her Tom, that is just her NY East Coast wrong headed thinking in the way! Actually, she is one of the best folks here and highly revered.

You are going to get wildly different answers to your questions and a lot of it has to do with the engine type you get. Like old 12valve engines will run forever but most of the trucks they are in have long rusted out. The saying is "I bought the engine and it just happens to have a Dodge wrapped around it". For the most part, the rest of the truck will fall apart before the engine. Some engines have reported a million miles. It is not uncommon for hotshoters to run up over 400-500,000 miles.

For your purposes, a well maintained and not abused engine with 100,000 miles is still low mileage, but the rest of the truck will be a 100,000 mile truck. For reference, my engine was not fully broken in until 75,000 miles.

Take some time read a bunch of threads and go from there.

Good luck!