HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

will the dealer be suspicious??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the dealer be suspicious??

hi i have an appointment to get my trucks transmission fluid flushed out and refilled with the dealer on wed. as you might remember i have shutter problems caused by the wrong fluid (i hope its caused by that) anyways i am wondering if the dealer would be suspicious knowing that i want a complete flush with 30,000 miles on it. i plan on telling them i do a lot of hauling (which i do) and i want to take the safest route possible with these trannies... do you think it is very possible that the dealer would be wondering enough to get a test done on my tranny fluid after its done and possibly void my warranty? after all its being paid to get done its not like they have to do it under warranty wise, so im giving them money to do it... know what i mean... any thoughts would be great
thanks....
Old 09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
DPG

My opinion would be that you are OK. My question is: What's "warranty-voiding" about your tranny fluid?

DeWain
Old 09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Most dealers will change your fluid (especially if your're paying for it), dump the old in the recycle tank, take yer $$$ and keep Rockin' & Rollin'

30,000 miles is about right for a tranny service.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:39 PM

well here it goes... i took my truck to get it serviced by a person i know and he did trannie fluid change and other stuff. well i noticed after i got it back i have a shutter vibration feeling in my truck when i first start off from a complete stop. i took it back to him he checked and noticed it was low, well he went to get get another bottle to top it off and it was atf+3 i told him it took +4 and he didnt know. so he added 6-7 quarts of +3 in my tranny. i took it today to a tranny shop and they said to try lube guard so i put that in it, didnt help. so im going on wed to get it completly flushed out and hope that takes care of it. so i have 18 quarts of fluid waiting to be put back in my tranny...
Old 09-13-2004, 08:18 PM

I agree with Shovelhead. 30,000 is the recommended interval anyway, and no one is going to ask you why you want to have it done when you are paying for it.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 PM

thats what i thought about them not saying anything, 30,000 mile is the recommended time for just a fluid change like a pan drop isnt it? i thought a flush wasn't untill overhaul or somthing like that. i thought i read something about that sometime, im probably wrong but please correrct me, thanks!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:26 PM

They will do whatever you want. It's pretty much personal preference. I like to drop the pan AND do a flush at the first service so I can see what might be in there and replace the filter. After that, I alternate between flush and pan drop every 20,000.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:28 PM

ok thanks for everyones help with that now another question, when i had my tranny fluid changed he also changed the filter, i heard when they flush out the tranny that it really messes up the filter and bring the insides out... should i have my filter changed again after the flush too?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 PM

If you are worried about the dealer why not go to a transmission shop and have them do it? Tell them you got the wrong fluid and want it all flushed out.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM

that was the original plan i had it there yesterday and they gave me some lube guard and didnt help, but i think (i hope) i solved my problem tonight. i thought all along it was coming from the rear end and i was told it was the tranny. well i called the dealer up and asked him what exactly supposed to be used in the rear end and he told me so i called my service dude up and asked him what he used and he only change the oil out and didnt add any limited slip differential additive. so i got some from my dealer and put it in, i took it for a couple mile test drive and it didnt shutter. i hope this works out
Old 09-15-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good that worked out.
Had me wondering because ATK+3 or Dexron III plus Lube-Gard is a pretty standard substitute for ATF+4.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 AM

Hello... WHOA !!!... STOP THE PANIC !!!... COOL IT !!!...

After 32 years in engineering, field test, retiring as Detroit Diesel-Allison NW Zone Manager, I can comfortably tell you using ATF-3 vs. -4 did NOT harm your transmission... Look for another cause of the problem... If still in the transmission, it wasn't the draining and topping with -3 oil... a non-issue... and would not be sufficient ground to affect your warranty... I wouldn't even bother to flush it...

After reading above, I suspect the diff. was hanging up a little w/o the additive... and probably did no damage in the short time without it...

I really feel you are at risk (big bucks for a major failure) if you continue to use your uninformed "service dude" tho'... The dealer may be spendy, but the work is done correctly and warranted.

Cheers... ...Ted
Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 AM

Your 03 diff. calls for synthetic GL-5 75-90. If your service dude used the correct diff. oil, no anti-slip additive is needed. You might need to do some more asking and maybe change service dudes
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 AM

yea, i think your right its time for a new one, thanks everyone for the help. the fluid he did use in my diff did call for the anti slip stuff (words from dodge) so i hope it all works out. thanks again
eric
Old 09-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

SBishop, LSD are funny little creatures. Some need additive, some don't. Mine didn't and the lube I used said I should have used it.

Quick Reply: will the dealer be suspicious??