HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Problem installing my Mag-Hytec front Dana 60 cover....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem installing my Mag-Hytec front Dana 60 cover....

I started out today to install my front differential cover, but quickly ran into trouble. I lost the installation instruction sheet which noted what linkage components to remove and where to remove them in order to get the new cover on. So I decided I was going remove the tie rod from the drag link and then swing it slightly out of the way to slip the new, larger cover behind it. Try as I might, even with the help of a "persuader", I couldn't budge the stud of the tie rod from the drag link. I could have wailed on that stud all day, and it wasn't going to pop free. Am I going about this the right way? Do I need a puller? Maybe I should remove the tie rod end from the driver's side wheel and then swing it out of the way. Anybody done this install that can lend a suggestion?
Old 08-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Problem installing my Mag-Hytec front Dana 60 cover....

Just a "pickle fork" and a large hammer, should do the trick. If not try loosening the nut till it just sticks above the threads and wail on it with a hammer! But be carefull not to damage the threads. Other than that I have had to use a torch on a couple at work. >
Old 08-17-2003, 07:42 PM

Hi Tom,
I wouldn't pound on the stud even with a nut on it. If you don't have a pickle fork whack on the side of the socket a couple of times with a 3-5 # hammer. This will distort the sleeve just enough to pop the stud out. I've done this for years even when I had a pickle fork in the drawer. Good luck!
Tim
Old 08-17-2003, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I don't have pickle forks, and that's why I went to work on the tied rod/drag link joint instead of the tie rod ends. The service manual says to use a tool whose picture kind of looks like a gear puller in reverse. It clamps behind the socket while the screw stud pushes against the ball stud. I've tried knocking...ok pounding on the stud (too late Tim ) but that didn't work either. I'll try striking the sides of the sleeve, and pick up a pickle fork this week. Thanks.

Tom
Old 08-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Banned

autozone loans them out for free but i'm assuming everyone already knows that