HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

oil & smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil & smoke

So I am driving down I-35 pulling 5th wheel when I either felt it or heard engine sound change...Stopped and checked truck over, found nothing, when I too<br>I took off, truck smoked (blue) terrible until about 30 mph also missed during this period. Once back on freeway ran fine until I got to delivery point.<br>When slowed down to street speeds, blue smoke appeared and truck started to miss.l<br><br>Whe delivery made, checked engine compartment again and oil all over engine, appeared to be coming out of dipstick. Checked and leveled oil and took off <br>80 miles for home. Ran strong at freeway speeds, until turnoff..When taking back off from freeway smoke <br>and missing again. When stopped sounded like a little lift noise??? (injector??) soon as a few RPMs noise went away and once again smoke left at <br>30 mph<br><br>specs....93 Dodge 350, cummins, turbo, new injectors 5,000 miles ago..did I loose ring or should I be looking at <br>pump??? Depending on suggestions depends on what type of shop I try to find to fix; at any rate none are close.<br><br>you are welcome to e-mail suggestions to me at bjsons@pinenet.com..thanks
Old 10-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Muted User

Re:oil & smoke

Blue smoke, not good! Sounds like you were running on oil over the free way and when your rpms dropped to idle for stop and go it missed and smoked. <br><br>BLUE SMOKE - One or more of the following: Worn or stuck piston rings; worn valve guides and stems; high crankcase pressure; worn / turbocharger oil seals.<br><br>Are you sure it wasn't White and Gray smoke that looked almost blue? Much rather it be a fuel related problem than a oil related one.<br><br>
Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 AM

Re:oil & smoke

The first response does seem to be what I think is going on...It does have high crank case pressure--guess I <br>will try to get a compression test first and then if weak somwwhere,,,go on internet and try to find a used<br>motor to stuff in....I had only talked to dealer yesterday about a trade on another This one only has 145,000<br>on it and already ne3w trans and now engine problems--thanks<br>