HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Oil all over dip stick????

Old 12-15-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil all over dip stick????

Upon checking my oil today, i noticed that oil was spread about all over the dip stick. After wiping the rag thoroughly, for the 2nd time, re-inserting it all the way down, and removing it again, the oil was still spread about all over the dip stick. I tried wiping and re-checking several times, but the same thing keeps on happening. The engine has been sitting for over 4 hrs, so the oil is not hot. Around 1k more miles til the next change. Any ideas of what might be going on? Any possible mechanical probs or blockage of the dip stick hole? Any one else ever had this prob?
Hunter
Old 12-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Oil all over dip stick????

When & where was the last oil change performed?
Could they have overfilled it?
I've seen it done before. :-
A volvo shop once put 4 gallons instead of 4 quarts in a 4 cyl with one of those overhead roll-up lines from a bulk storage tank systems.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:21 PM

Is it possible that the oil is sticking to the dipstick due to cool ambient temperatures??? The 15W40 is pretty thick when the temps turn cool. Try checking it 10 minutes after you shutdown.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:58 PM

Check it soon after shutting down see if the oil is milky colored. Pray that it isn't. Smell the oil on the dip stick for a diesel smell. Pray that it doesn't smell like diesel. :

Stan
Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM

The temps here in central tx havent been getting too cold, around freezing or so at night. The color of the oil is a normal medium black, not too dirty. It doesnt smell like diesel. I changed it 4k miles ago in my drive way, and I put 10 quarts in it (2.5 gals), and 1 qrt in the oil filter. I have been wiping the dipstick evenly, front and back at same time, but still there is no distinct mark of oil to let me know exactly how much i have. The oil is up over the twists on the dip stick. Thanks for the replys so far guys.
Hunter
Old 12-15-2003, 07:38 PM

Hmmmm, very bizzare. :-
Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 PM

Mine does this when its too cold....the 15W40 sticks to the dipstick and its hard to get a true reading.....check it 5-10 mins after shutdown and its fine.....my 2 cents
Old 12-15-2003, 07:59 PM

If the oil level increases it can be caused by only one thing. Something has been added to the oil. It could be coolant, or fuel or oil has been added. Any of the three can only be harmful to the engine and should be thourghly checked out before driving it very far!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:33 PM

I have seen that on a V-6 92 one time ,the liner let go and water in the pan put oil level high, watch the water level.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find out quickly and for sure that anti freeze is not getting in the pan. Antifreeze will make short work of the bearings. Seeping Detroits from the wet liners often to that.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:58 PM

After 4 hours, even near freezing, after having shut down a hot engine, all oil should have drained back.

What exactly do you mean by
the oil was still spread about all over the dip stick.
?
If there is no "distinct mark", and there is random oil on the stick, then I would put forth that you are quite low on oil, and no high mark is present.

Is there much oil on the stick above the "max" indication? A bit here and there would be normal, but not an excessive amount.

Even with some sort of blockage in the dipstick tube, (and I have no idea what that would be), there should be little oil above the max mark.

If there is no distinct level indication on the stick, it seems that your level would be low. You could add a couple of quarts, though, if you did not start to see a level, you risk overfilling.

Perhaps an early change, with sampling, would be in order. Measuring your drain amount would be prudent.

All other suggestions here in the thread have merit. I take your description to mean that you see sporadic oil in places all over the stick, but no distinct level mark. If that is so, then I would believe that your level is low. If, in fact, you see continuous oil all the way up the stick, well beyond the max mark, then it's certainly something else.

More detailed info?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:20 AM

In fact, there is continuous oil well beyond the max mark, all along the stick, up past the twists and then some. Think im gonna change it tomm, and definately measure the amount drained. Thanks for all the great replies.

Hunter
Old 12-16-2003, 12:26 AM

Well that sure blows my "low level" theory out of the water.

I suggest you try to come up with a sample kit, or at least fill a sterilized container to provide a sample VERY soon. This may speed your diagnosis.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:52 AM

One thing you might want to check is the breather tube.
Be sure it's not kinked or otherwise obstructed, as that will cause crankase oil fumes to seek a path to the atmosphere.(the dipstick tube)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil all over dip stick????