HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

New with diesels. Need help with Coolant.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New with diesels. Need help with Coolant.

Hi everybody,

I am new to the diesel world and am having trouble deciding what coolant to use. I recently bought a 95 Ford F800 with the cummins engine. I was checking the coolant level today and found that the coolant reservoir was alittle empty. I want to top some coolant off but wasn't too sure about what coolant to buy.

What coolant should I buy for my truck. Could I use the coolant for cars or are their coolants for diesel trucks? Also, where could I find this?

Another question, I am not sure whether this truck has the 12 valves or 24 valves. How could I tell this? In the manual it says it is a FD-1060 engine with 210 HP and 485 ft-ib.s @1600 rpm.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:New with diesels. Need help with Coolant.

Coolant is the same for a diesel and a gasser, Just make sure of the color before you add some to the tank, (do not mix the green and the red/orange coolant's together).

As for a Ford F-800, I thought those came with a International or a Navstar (both ford) I personally have not seen a Cummins in a F800 ford truck. What is the year? You can also take the VIN# and call it into a dealer and they can tell you what the eng. make and model is. When you find out let me know. 8)
Old 11-08-2003, 02:07 PM

Not sure but my guess would be a 12 valver. They didn't put the 24's into dodges until 98.5.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:15 PM

The FD-1060 is a 12v

That is a 12v 210 HP. You can use any low silicate anti-freeze. As was already mentioned, if you happen to have the pink/orange stuff, don't mix it with green. It ain't the color, it's the additive pack, and the results can be ugly. If it were mine, next time I took a notion, I'd get rid of any pink/orange. There have been scattered reports of trouble with the stuff. None on Cummins B's, but I would not chance it. My $.02 :P
Oh, one more thing- don't let some yahoo sell you DCA- diesel coolant additive. It is unnecessary in the B engine.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Thanks for your replies. I will just head to the local auto store and pickup the green stuff.

The truck is a 1995.

Also, I am looking for a service manual for this truck, like the Chilton or Hayes. But, haven't come across one. Is there a service manual just for the Cummins? What does Cummins call the 5.9 diesel?

Old 11-11-2003, 10:29 AM
RCW

Better check Cummins' service advisories regarding the coolant testing and additive use. They now recommend using the test strips to verify alkalinity, and the use of coolant additive to prevent cavitation and cylinder wall perforation on all their engines, including the B series.

Most authorized Cummins repair and parts stores, and all the Cummins Service Centers have the needed coolant in premixed containers.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Im coming in late on the topic, but have a couple additional questions/comments

1) When I was looking for a coolant that met the standards in my owners manual, the coolant (preston was one, I dont remember the other) mfg websites it said you could safely mix the green and red coolants without a problem. Im thinking it said you would not get the full benefits of the additives for cavitation though.. But since the cummins doesnt have liners it didnt really matter (see #2).. The coolant that I found that met the standards from the manuel was Zerex (green - standards listed on the bottle) and a couple name brand red ones..

Any one have a reason why you shouldnt mix the two coolants? Especially since the mfg say you can??

2) follow up on RCW's post.. When did this change? I thought since the cummins didnt have liners cavitation was not a problem.. Comments??

thankss
brian

Old 11-16-2003, 03:13 PM

I also was under the impression cummins did not require additive,as my 97 powerstroke did for sleeves and the electrolosis problems caused by the electronic injectors and such?? I took my neighbor to cummins last week with me so he could buy the test strips for his 03 ford diesel and when I was walking out I heard my neighbor ask the parts guy why I,his neighbor with the dodge did not need to worry,a service guy chippped in and I stopped and listened,He stated the above reasons also.So if anyone has anyother advice or can show me where? I would suggest and agree with the guys stating use a acceptable brand and do not mix,now that is what I am using in my old 94 12v now the 24v might be a different story as I know very little about them, but oh I am reading and studying them cause they sure are good looking trucks and I might just be able to get one when my two girls are out of college : ;D ;D ;D!!!!so Goodluck Rick
Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Banned

The d.c.a. stops the the pin holes from developing in your liners or cyl.
If you want to get into perfection use distilled ho2.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:46 PM

thats what ive done, just add some distilled H²O and not worry about getting corrosives!

BW
Old 11-19-2003, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=chips2002 link=board=13;threadid=22145;start=0#msg208361 date=1068529210]
Thanks for your replies. I will just head to the local auto store and pickup the green stuff.

The truck is a 1995.

Also, I am looking for a service manual for this truck, like the Chilton or Hayes. But, haven't come across one. Is there a service manual just for the Cummins? What does Cummins call the 5.9 diesel?

[/quote]

Haynes makes a manual for it. It is number 30041. Of course the best is the factory service manual about $100.00.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:30 PM
RCW

I posted the short summary of Cummins Service Bulletin on coolant maintenance in General Diesel. They came out with the change a year ago, and I double checked with the local Cummins Service Center to verify that it applied.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Heres more info from the Cummins Website FAQ regarding the coolant.

Do I need to use a coolant additive in my Dodge Ram?

We do not recommend an additive for the Cummins engine used in the Dodge Ram. Coolant additives are used to protect liners from cavitation and since the engine in the Dodge Turbo Diesel has no liners, it does not require an additive.

Heres the link to it.
http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/p...530004AC33EA57
Old 11-22-2003, 09:50 AM

There is conflicting information out there

I have seen and diagnosed literally hundreds of cases of liner pitting in my lifetime. When I started at Cummins NW, it was a big issue, and continues to be in their linered engines. When the "B" came out, it was practice and published policy that DCA was not necessary, because the engine didn't have liners. That policy seems to be changing. RCW quotes a good source that advises using DCA. While I understand the desire to be cautious, and the possibility that cavitation corrosion can occur in unlinered engines, I have yet to see or even hear of a single case of pitting to a "B" engine. That may not be enough evidence to disprove the need for DCA, but I will just add my practice- I don't use DCA in my CTD, and have no plans to begin.
What I should end with, is that you will need to satisfy yourself about the best practice. If a few dollars' worth of DCA helps you sleep at night, you by all means should use it. It certainly won't hurt anything, in recommended doses.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Banned

how many little plastic oil cooler jets have you found in the pan,or will they let you say?
Mike and john upstairs there finally admited it is a problem to me, all thoe dodge and cummins would not fix my problem at 111000 miles!!!...Now it's my pet peeve to let everone know to be aware!!!!